New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 10:25:06 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Do any of you guys use pin pointers? I have a pretty basic one but I don’t use it all that much because I usually don’t need it. I use it when its dark, and today I found a nest of 1 and 2 cents on top of the ground among the beech leaves. I couldn’t quite get a lock on any single one so I used the pin pointer and found then all in short order.
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 11:13:49 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I have an Automax that was a freebee when I got the AT Pro, a Bullseye which was another freebee when I got the V3i and a Garrett Pro-pointer that I brought.

The Automax isn't even worth putting batteries into it. Useless is too good a term for it. The Bullseye is Ok but not very rugged and you have to be almost touching the item. The Pro-pointer leaves the other two for dead, in comparison it is fantastic! Unfortunately it started to beep by itself so have sent it back for warranty work. I consider the Pro-Pointer to be an essential tool, and if I don't get it back then I will just get another one.

The Pro-pointer is expensive but well worth the money (not so expensive now with our high dollar).

Edited by user Saturday, 6 August 2011 11:15:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 11:49:38 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
The prop pointer is cool allright.
Mine beeps by itself when the battery is getting low.
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Monday, 8 August 2011 2:59:11 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Yeah the one I have pretty much needs to touch something to beep. But I usually don't have any trouble finding the things, it is only the occasional dig that the detector says I have it out on the ground and I don't see it that the pin pointer comes in handy.

So when I dig for something I cut a plug out of the ground and wave it over the detector. If it registers I break the bottom off and wave that over the detector and keep working my way up until I find it. If the detector says there is nothing in the plug I do some digging and then use the detector to see if it is out of the hole or still in and to see if I have it centred correctly. So at what point in the process are you guys using the pin pointer?
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 8 August 2011 6:00:24 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
where is a good place to get a reasonable pin pointer from? Im a bit sick of digging into nice silver coins and sfuff as i find it sometimes frustrating to locate the coin exactly within the hole.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 8 August 2011 6:18:27 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Most of the detector outlets have them.
According to various forums some are better than others.
I have been very happy with my Garrett Pro pointer which I got
from New England Detectors in the States.
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 8 August 2011 6:58:11 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Yeah the one I have pretty much needs to touch something to beep. But I usually don't have any trouble finding the things, it is only the occasional dig that the detector says I have it out on the ground and I don't see it that the pin pointer comes in handy.

So when I dig for something I cut a plug out of the ground and wave it over the detector. If it registers I break the bottom off and wave that over the detector and keep working my way up until I find it. If the detector says there is nothing in the plug I do some digging and then use the detector to see if it is out of the hole or still in and to see if I have it centred correctly. So at what point in the process are you guys using the pin pointer?

I use the Pro-pointer at most stages of the process.

If it is just a shallow target (hunting $1 & $2's etc) then once the detector pinpoints it I will use the Pro-pointer to find the exact spot and flick out the coin with a screw driver. Saves time pin pointing with the detector which still wouldn't be as exact.

When digging the hole I will whip the Pro-pointer around the sides and bottom of the hole to see exactly where the coin is. Avoids making an over large hole or keep having to stand up and grab the detector if your pinpointing with it was a bit off.

If the target comes out with the dirt or turf then of course the pin pointer to find its exact spot.

Notice I said Pro-pointer for the first parts above and pin pointer for the last one. This is because the Garrett Pro-pointers sound / vibration is proportional and the closer you get to the target the faster it will sound off. Also by simply turning the Pro-pointer off then on while it is registering a target it will detune itself and this way you can pick up something like a jeans rivet from 3" away, down until touching the item. The Bullseye and other pin pointers are only really good for the last bit - finding the target in the loose soil or turf.

Another example: I have stumbled across a few rocky platforms that were uncovered from the sand during the storms. Heaps of coins stuck in the cracks and cranny's of the rock. Instead of trying to use the detector to find them all I just grabbed the Pro-pointer and ran it along the cracks and crevices. Avoided standing up, using the detector, sitting down, standing up.......

Any pin pointer cuts down the time hunting for a target amongst the dirt / sand. And by retrieving your targets faster it means you have more time to search and thus cover more ground and find more stuff. This is where they pay for themselves - by allowing you to find more targets in a limited time period. The better the pin pointer the more time saved, thus although the Pro-pointer is big $$ it is well worth it.