New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

overdog  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 May 2010 3:11:47 AM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi all... Gettin colder isnt it? (",)

Was bored at work so I started thinking-always dangerous...

If a creek used to run down a hill,but then geological processes changed the course of the water so it ran underground and came out further down the same creek(resurgence-common round the Arthur/Owen area),what are the chances of gold in the dry bit?

And anybody heard of finding colour in caves?I've talked to a few cavers up here about this and they say they've not come across it but I don't trust em lol!
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 May 2010 8:42:31 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi Overdog... caves, underground rivers... got me thinking about the top of South Island. Years ago, when taking a break from fruit picking in Motueka I remember travelling over to Takaka. On the way I visited Howard's hole, one spectacular cave... and also the "hole in the rock" where a masive stream of water cmoes straight out of a rock face. I'm thinking the more adventurous ,might like to venture further into those hard to reach places in search of the yellow. :)

When I get round to my fossicking adventure [end of next summer] I'll start of in the top of the South Island.... not sure about the underwater caving thing though. :) Most probably will limit myself to a bit of snorkling in open streams.
overdog  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 May 2010 10:45:31 AM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Hi Roman-looked down Harwoods-by god thats a BIG hole! Where is the hole in the rock tho?
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 May 2010 1:05:10 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

If I remember right its on the Motueka side of the takaka hills. Very impressive spot where a decent sized flow of crystal clear water comes straight out of the foothill.... I might have the name wrong, or maybe it was a local nickname for the place. Locals around this area should be able to point it out.
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 May 2010 1:07:05 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

What happened to the editing function? :)

Howard's hole is apparnetly the larhest hole in the Southern hemisphere. This is what I heard, not sure if its true.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 May 2010 1:14:25 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Roman Holiday,

I bet you're talking about "the resurgence" when talking about the water coming out of the rocks? Near Motueka, a turning on left just before you start heading up the hill to get to Takaka? I remember jumping in to the pool new years day last year - awesome for shaking off the hangover as it's super cold :P

Gav ;)
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 May 2010 2:48:20 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Hi Gavin, yep, that'd be it! I didn't go for a swim at the time as left my steamer behind. :) Awesome spot, I like the whole area through there.... I'm thinking I'll start my fossicking adventure around there... up the Aorere valley... and then move down the coast. Roll on summer!! :)
overdog  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 May 2010 6:04:48 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Ah-Riwaka resurgence! There is some awesome footage of guys diving it on YouTube to link up with another cave system... nutters the lot of em!

Stands to reason there should be SOME gold in cave systems-an awful lot of water goes through some of them...
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 14 May 2010 12:11:00 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:24:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nathanial  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 February 2011 3:03:32 AM(UTC)
nathanial

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
have dived in that cave before (had a guide) shame I didn't take the pan in. Opens up into one massive cave.
Whitworthone  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2011 4:16:34 PM(UTC)
Whitworthone

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The place where water that comes out of the other side at pupu springs used to be a good gold bearing area
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2011 7:50:28 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
i was caving at the back of charleston a few years back went into this cave (think it was called morrison due to all the moa bones) down the tunnel there apeared a slot in the wall and roof fill with what looked like old river bed shingle
i went back a couple of days later with a pan and chipped in the bottom of the slot and yes there was nice little flakes of gold never did go back now forgotten where exactly it was.
so yes there is gold in some of those caves