New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

auldrider  
Posted : Thursday, 13 May 2010 1:00:44 PM(UTC)
auldrider

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Has anybody here got a blue bowl that they are not using or don't want?

I would like to run the mud tailings out of my (recirculating) sluice through a blue bowl.

The problem is, I don't have one and don't really know where to get one from.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks, John.
I try to learn from the mistakes of other's, I haven't got enough time left to make them all myself!
rightpocket  
Posted : Thursday, 13 May 2010 4:54:35 PM(UTC)
rightpocket

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm selling i really good recirculating sluice on my website http://www.goldminingnz.com and i will be uploading more products too. Check it out
File Attachment(s):
Adkiwi.co.nz - Advertise anything.... FROM ONLY $3.00 per annum
East-Auck-Fossicker  
Posted : Monday, 13 June 2011 4:28:58 PM(UTC)
East-Auck-Fossicker

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi,
I got my blue bowl from Tim Swener , ww.TreasuresDownUnder.com It works really well. For best results screen down to 50 # or 100# , thats holes per inch. Running mine for a couple of hours here in Pakuranga and the water started to smell like a public swimming pool ! And to think we drink this water.
auldrider  
Posted : Monday, 13 June 2011 4:50:40 PM(UTC)
auldrider

Man

East-Auck-Fossicker wrote:
Hi,
I got my blue bowl from Tim Swener , ww.TreasuresDownUnder.com It works really well. For best results screen down to 50 # or 100# , thats holes per inch. Running mine for a couple of hours here in Pakuranga and the water started to smell like a public swimming pool ! And to think we drink this water.

Thanks EAF but my request is a bit out of date and I had forgotten about it, sorry!

I have a blue bowl now, which I bought from the USA via a NZ dredge supplier.

Actually I don't like or use it much and just keep it as a bit of a curiosity! Cheers, John.

I try to learn from the mistakes of other's, I haven't got enough time left to make them all myself!
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 June 2011 4:31:56 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Blue bowls are good at saving fine gold but they are very slow & time consuming to use, like all fine gold recovery units. The very fine gold I get in a river up here mixed in with all the very fine black sand drove me nuts trying to seperate by panning alone. Check out this pan of fine black sand & gold from a dredge run. Imagine panning all that to seperate the fine gold with out losing any gold. Does your head in, not to mention your back.

UserPostedImage

Mercury is sure quicker but you need to follow all safety precautions & probably not the one for your part time hobby fossicker. The blue bowl, although it did the job, was just too slow.

This is a sample of some of the very fine gold from this river taken at the same spot as that pan of black sands.

UserPostedImage

This material & gold is tailings from the stamper batteries pre cyanide treatment days. Hence the finness of the sands & gold & gives you an idea of how much gold they lost in the tailings. Often they lost 50% of the gold, & they knew it from assay results of the ore they were processing, but they had no way of recovering it with the methods they used pre cyanide days.

Happy hunting

JW :)
auldrider  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 June 2011 5:22:06 PM(UTC)
auldrider

Man

This guy has an interesting alternative message:[ http://www.nextstepmining.com/ ]
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 June 2011 7:14:20 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there aulrider, Looks to me like it is just an add for him to make money from his so called technique. What gobsmacked me was that those buckets of Messes he showed had no water covering the mercury to stop it from evaporating which makes me think he has created those messes as part of his sales pitch. Water will stop the mercury evaporating at room temperature by keeping it from the air. Water will keep the mercury in an inert state.

JW
auldrider  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 June 2011 5:16:58 AM(UTC)
auldrider

Man

Having been involved with Mercury for most of my working life (in very controlled environment) and well versed in it's negatives I would avoid the use of it personally in any form whatsoever!

I think his methods and message are valuable for any prospector enquiring about fine gold recovery.

What they finally do with the information is their own personal choice but meanwhile, I find it works ok for me!
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 June 2011 12:51:10 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Yes it is nasty stuff & not to be messed with, with out the right equipment. You are probably right though, & it shouldnt be used at all. Prevention is better than cure.

JW :)
auldrider  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 June 2011 4:29:14 PM(UTC)
auldrider

Man

True!

It is after all where the saying "Mad as a Hatter" originated from .... Hatters used a lot of Mercury in their process!

Mind you, fine gold recovery can drive you crazy anyway, take your pick!

Edited by user Wednesday, 15 June 2011 4:30:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

harrop  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2011 4:51:20 AM(UTC)
harrop

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm really keen on bying one of these. Have tried to get one direct from keene but it took 7 emails just toget a reply which I replied back to and I haven't heard form them since. That was several months ago. 90% of the gold off our claim is less than 25mesh in size. Have tried mercury which I'm not at all keen on so just pan it down as far as I can then dry it out and blow the sand out but still end up with very fine gold left in the sand.
x-terra steve  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2011 12:54:55 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi harrop,
good to see a coaster on the fourms,
love the place,detected me first piece of gold up the moonlight.
Me partner comes from Kumara,so have spent some time in the area.
Look forward to some of your posts
Steve
harrop  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2011 5:12:50 AM(UTC)
harrop

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
x-terra steve wrote:
Hi harrop,
good to see a coaster on the fourms,
love the place,detected me first piece of gold up the moonlight.
Me partner comes from Kumara,so have spent some time in the area.
Look forward to some of your posts
Steve

Cheers Steve. I love the place. Never tried detecting but I've heard it's great fun