New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 20 August 2011 11:54:06 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Complete detector shaft set up to suit Minelab GP & GPX pulse induction gold detectors. A full carbon fibre upper shaft & fibre glass lower shaft is a must if you swing a coil over 14" in diameter. These larger coils "see" the standard aluminium upper shaft because it is within reach of the coils electromagnetic field. Because the aluminium shaft is in motion with the coil it doesnt register it as a signal but it does know it is there. The effect of this is that the detectors circuitry takes this in to account & due to the extra power needed in the circuitry do do so takes that bit of power away from going into the coil where you need it the most to give you full power, punch & performance. Resulting in desensitising the coil & giving a loss of performance with regard to both depth & sensitivity. When detecting for gold you want every advantage you can get in finding it.
This new carbon fibre upper shaft (870mm) comes with a fibreglass lower shaft, that the coil fits on to (710mm). These shafts combine strength, durability & a lightweight feel, lighter & stronger than fibreglass upper shafts & will certainly be a good addition to any detecting kit. The upper shaft incorperates extra holes than the standard aluminium shaft for greater adjustment, & a twist locking nut which stabilisers the lower coil shaft & made to fit the standard accessories of you Minelab detector, like armrests & handles.
I was quoted $265 from an NZ supplier for these shafts. I located a supplier in the States & can get them for $190 landed. The cost of shipping was the same for one shaft or four so I ended up getting four of them. Any body with a minelab GP or GPX seriously interested in increasing your chances of finding gold with a larger coil should have one of these. I have 1 left.

Brand new.

Cheers

JW :)
Wasi  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 8:37:30 PM(UTC)
Wasi

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Im quite interested in how Carbon fibre performs in this role. While it is undeniably strong and light its also a fantastic electrical conductor so I wonder how good it really is near a coil like this? What experience have others had with carbon shafts?
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 11:11:07 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wasi Go to Quoted Post
Im quite interested in how Carbon fibre performs in this role. While it is undeniably strong and light its also a fantastic electrical conductor so I wonder how good it really is near a coil like this? What experience have others had with carbon shafts?

Hi there, You may like to check this site out http://accuturnmfg.angelfire.com/ & even do a google search on carbon fibre shafts & also check out other gold forums on the matter. Let your fingers do the searching & you will be amazed at what you can learn.

JW :)