New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 12:35:09 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
just for you lammerlaw...a piece of selanite given to me from a friend up in nelson..it comes from india ..cant remember the name of the place...but it is a nice piece..... I'm not going to post pics of all my rocks..i just wanted to get this new section started off..lol

Edited by user Monday, 29 August 2011 10:38:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40 attached the following image(s):
selnite 003.jpg
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 1:44:07 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I like it but you had better not get me started otherwise the forum will be drowned in things you aint ever imagined of - I am sitting in a room full of rocks and minerals, hunks of quartz with microscopic gold in it, scheelite, magnetite and dozens of other ores. Yes I do like seeing these things.
mem  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 8:59:32 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Good to see you back lammerlaw you just spew it all out , i think most of us on here find your comments very interesting.
Mem.
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 8:50:44 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Nice rock nzpoobear.

Living in mid canterbury with no gold i spend a bit of time walking the rivers and beaches looking for agates great fun good way to spend time in the outdoors . Have just got a metal detector of robert so look forward to getting out there and having a go with that.

Hi lammerlaw good to see you back u are a great source of info hope you are well.

Stuart.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 9:08:34 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

thank you and if you are ever coming up to CHCH maybe we can meet up and go for a hunt at one of the parks up here..always good to have someone with you
to show your finds to..and good company to..lol...i have plenty of agates..and some boytrital stuff from down hampden way...weather it be walking the beaches or rivers or out in the woods somewhere i always love being outdoors..except in shit weather ofcourse..lol
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 9:14:25 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: cavey Go to Quoted Post
Nice rock nzpoobear.

Living in mid canterbury with no gold i spend a bit of time walking the rivers and beaches looking for agates great fun good way to spend time in the outdoors . Have just got a metal detector of robert so look forward to getting out there and having a go with that.

Hi lammerlaw good to see you back u are a great source of info hope you are well.

Stuart.

I dont know so much about well but still alive and getting more alive as the weather improves and doing what I do this time every year - dreaming of that which never comes about!

If its agates you want then a walk up Mt Barrosa is the thing - but dont die of heart failure, dont look down, doint walk over a bluff and take a few slaves to carry the goodies...For years I have wanted a big piece of petrified wood from Mt Somers - one of my favourite places up there.

Give me a private scream as I know a spot that you may or may not know where you can dig up nice agates not far from Dunedin but sadly got to pay the farmer but thats where being selective comes into it - that goes for nzpoohbear as well.

Edited by user Monday, 29 August 2011 9:18:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 9:23:01 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

ya i think i know where you are talking about lammerlaw..but his price is not to bad...i paid 6 bucks for a bucket full of boytrital....and some nice pieces at that...not great but nice....although jeff F has better ones..lol.....if i am correct you are talking about N S.......lol
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 9:32:38 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi there mid canterbury people dont forget about the dimonds in the mt somers area
i pan there a few years back got two small chips (very small) i had a mate that was a jeweller in timaru he tested them said they looked etc like the real thing but to comfirm had to crush them for hardness
a have read somewhere that there was a dimond rush years back i will try to find out more
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 9:48:36 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
ya i think i know where you are talking about lammerlaw..but his price is not to bad...i paid 6 bucks for a bucket full of boytrital....and some nice pieces at that...not great but nice....although jeff F has better ones..lol.....if i am correct you are talking about N S.......lol

N S will be right but the price must have risen in the last few years becauses hes charging a dollar a pound now and weighs them like Scrooge.

Kiwikeith;- Diamonds are forever? In the early 1880s, Alford Forest was the scene of a ‘diamond rush’, when J. S. M. Jacobsen announced he had discovered diamonds there. Although geologists said his finds were only small crystals of quartz, people poured into the area. But the geologists were right, and the planned town was never built.

Edited by user Monday, 29 August 2011 10:47:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 9:53:18 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
here is an update on the above
a book called "australian and nz gemstones how and where to find them" edited by bill myatt has some very good imformation on the mt somers area page 437
its a great book if you can lay your hans on it also areas on gold nothing on the dimonds apart from found round alfred forest area
will keep looking
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 10:42:09 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Hey, I've got that book too. Mainly full of Aussie locations but like that Mount Somers bit, still has some good detailed info on a lot of NZ sites.

Back in the 1800's discoveries like that diamond rush where worth a lot of money to those that could make the claim. Here in the Hauraki Gulf one enterprising guy lead the Government on a wild goose chase from island to island with the claim that he had discovered gold on one of them (including Waiheke). He ended up doing a runner and getting caught but he was taken very seriously at the time because of the close proximity of the Coromandel fields.

20 odd years ago there used to be an annual rock hound "symposium" held at Waiomu on the Thames Coast. The camping ground is of course no longer there but does anybody know if something similar is still going on? There seems to be very little web presence for NZ rock hounding.
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 11:40:23 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
There are a lot of rock and mineral shows, the National Show is in Dunedin this year October 14-16.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 11:44:15 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

ya thats the price...but not to bad..i think anyways concidering i sold one of the pieces i found for 10.00 on it's own and it only cost me 6 for the bucketload..lol
kiwisouth  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 1:49:50 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
For those looking for Rock and Mineral clubs, there are a few around. The North Shore Rockhounds I think it is, the Marlborough Rock and Mineral Club at Brayshaw park. I think the one in Chch got slammed in one of the earthquakes. We have our show coming up in the next couple of months but I'll have to have a look at my newsletter. The club has a Yahoo website but needs updating.

For those in Chch, there are quite a few places in the Hororata region which has a variety of rock types including petrified wood. I visited someone in Greendale a few years ago and he had all sorts of stuff. His lounge, kitchen, hallway was full of the stuff. He never did anything with it, just collected it and left it as nature did.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 2:02:45 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

ya chch lost our club rooms..but we are looking at building new ones...yes plenty of places to find rocks.