New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 9:02:04 AM(UTC)
Goldnut

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Hey all! I am looking for a classifying sieve preferably #8 or 1/8 inch. It seems quite hard to find these and if any one has one lying around that they are not using or want to sell just drop me a line. Cheers!

~Gold Nut
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 11:50:01 AM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi GN. Try Bunnings or Mitre 10 in the gardening (shudder) depts-thats where I got mine.
Well to be more precise thats where my other half got hers til I "borrowed"it...
fastangler  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 4:13:40 PM(UTC)
fastangler

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
hi there goldnut

there are some at bunnings and such but they are $40-50 each,the scots in me didnt like that so i went with jw's system of drilling out a plaster bucket and i think it works better than a traditional classifier because you can get more material in it with its nice high sides.
UserPostedImage

if anyone needs a couple of these buckets(without holes drilled) and your in or swinging by the chch area give me a pm.

overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 4:16:03 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
50 BUCKS!The Yorkshire in me doesnt like that either lol!

No wonder she got a bit toey... :)
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 6:59:15 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi guys.. if you just want to quickly screen of the biger rocks before it go,s through your sluice or pan for that matter about the easyist thing i have used is a basket....the kinda square 1,s from the supermarket with all the slot,s and 2 handles...work great you can really shake them i think they also sell them at the warewhare for a couple of bucks...im shure even you scottys & poms can afford that...but if your dutch next time you go shopping at the supermarket youl just have to run real quick ; )!!
GBM.
roman holiday  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 7:42:24 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys.. if you just want to quickly screen of the biger rocks before it go,s through your sluice or pan for that matter about the easyist thing i have used is a basket....the kinda square 1,s from the supermarket with all the slot,s and 2 handles...work great you can really shake them i think they also sell them at the warewhare for a couple of bucks...im shure even you scottys & poms can afford that...but if your dutch next time you go shopping at the supermarket youl just have to run real quick ; )!!
GBM.

Good idea. I bought a plastic "classifier" from Mitre 10... didn't last for long with all the punishment. I wonder how long the basket would last for.....
goldnugget  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 8:26:38 PM(UTC)
goldnugget

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi Roman,
Go and visit some civil engineering laboratories. Fulton Hogan, Opus and whoever else you can find. If you're lucky they'll have some brass 300mm ones with a steel mesh, that are out of calibration. If you're real lucky (but unlikely!) they may have some 450mm ones out of spec. I work for FH here in Dunedin and I've got the odd 300mm one under the house or in the shed which I've acquired. If no joy and you're around dunners at all or maybe Central over xmas, I'm sure I can fix you up with something. If you're absolutely desperate I'll send one up! lol.

Cheers,
Rick.
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 August 2011 11:51:59 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: goldnugget Go to Quoted Post
Hi Roman,
Go and visit some civil engineering laboratories. Fulton Hogan, Opus and whoever else you can find. If you're lucky they'll have some brass 300mm ones with a steel mesh, that are out of calibration. If you're real lucky (but unlikely!) they may have some 450mm ones out of spec. I work for FH here in Dunedin and I've got the odd 300mm one under the house or in the shed which I've acquired. If no joy and you're around dunners at all or maybe Central over xmas, I'm sure I can fix you up with something. If you're absolutely desperate I'll send one up! lol.

Cheers,
Rick.

Hi Rick, thanks for that. Yep, I'll be down in Dunners at some stage... looking forward to visiting the old haunts. I reckon I'll be mostly detecting and sniping this summer [nelson area, west coast, Queenstown, and central], but will no doubt to a bit of sluicing at some point. For that, a good classifier is essential. Having to decide whether to commit to a few months of avocado picking at the moment...hard decision, as it looks to cut into some of my summertime of fossicking. :]

Edited by user Wednesday, 31 August 2011 11:53:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Goldnut  
Posted : Thursday, 8 September 2011 2:47:22 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Thanks for the tips... I decided to go the DIY route and drilled a bucket... and it does work quite well!
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 8 September 2011 6:58:21 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
If you want the proper classifying sieve,s dan at dredgenz has the keene one,s.
Goldnut  
Posted : Thursday, 8 September 2011 8:01:56 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

How much does he sell them for?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 8 September 2011 8:38:49 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
If you want the proper classifying sieve,s dan at dredgenz has the keene one,s.

Are they 'the' proper ones or an item designed today for todays usage? The real 'proper' ones - unchanged since the gold rush days - go into all the second hand shops and see what they have in the way of good old fashioned sieves for gravel - thats what they originally used...in truth anything that actually works is as good as anything else as long as it is a good shape and weight to carry and utilise comfortably...but just because a supplier of gold mining gear sells something it doesnt mean to say that it is the 'proper' thing.

I have photos somewhere of old time miners using good old fashioned sieves and that indicates that these are the real deal, the proper items. Todays versions are probably more convenient and maybe even easier to get but the best one I ever saw an old bloke had many years ago and it was a square sieve on a table which could be oscillated (is that the proper word)...Ok vibrated...by swinging a handle back and forward like a cradle. One side of the square sieve swung down to empty bigger rocks out and the right sized material went through the sieve into a container below for processing...quite ingenious it was.

GPX@DREDGE  
Posted : Thursday, 8 September 2011 9:05:33 PM(UTC)
GPX@DREDGE

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi guys, If you want a great classifier use a fish&chip shop fat fryer basket.