New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 1 September 2011 6:31:33 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Just a heads up on an new detector being released by Garrett. At first glance it just looks like a normal AT Pro with a slightly higher frequency, but watching the vid and reading the specs has got me thinking that every thing the Pro is missing has been added to this detector.

All Metal is a big big plus but they have gone one step further and added a type of iron discrimination / identification that still works in All Metal mode. Adjustable threshold and Automatic ground balancing with the ability to adjust the spread of GB are also new and great additions.

It has been designed for gold detecting and being waterproof I think it would be great for this. I love the AT Pro for general detecting, so reckon the Gold would be well worth looking at. No prices etc yet but guess it will be slightly more then the Pro.

Links here:
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_gold_main_international.aspx
Wasi  
Posted : Thursday, 1 September 2011 8:47:53 PM(UTC)
Wasi

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Their recommended retail in the states is US$799 which is $100 more than the AT Pro.Hmmm I to have an AT pro and I really like it but I may have to look at the Gold version.
x-terra steve  
Posted : Thursday, 1 September 2011 9:18:49 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi Shilo how goes it?,
The AT Gold might be a goer with the 4.5'' coil checking out the crevices that me x-terra cant get below the water line.
Cheers Steve
NuggetHead  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 October 2011 10:19:16 PM(UTC)
NuggetHead

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Guys, any idea where to purchase the AT Gold in NZ?
diggerjoe  
Posted : Thursday, 20 October 2011 11:39:24 PM(UTC)
diggerjoe

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi NuggetHead, Tactical Solutions Corp in Albany, Auckland are Garrett reps.

I just got a AT Gold from Kellyco in the USA.It lists for US $679.95

Also bought the 4.5" super sniper coil.It lists for US $93.46

Have to wait until it dries out to test it,just had 4" of rain in two days.
NuggetHead  
Posted : Friday, 21 October 2011 2:25:13 PM(UTC)
NuggetHead

Man

Great Diggerjoe, thanks for that. In contact with them now.
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 22 October 2011 8:26:42 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Wot a mean looking machine. Waterproof, looks cool. If i was out on the gold fields i would like a machine like that. Looks a bit like my 350 and its easy to use, light as.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 30 October 2011 3:07:06 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Hi Diggerjoe
How did you go with your new beast? I read that they didn't like ground balancing in Aussie, they don't like salt water or wet sand and no discrim as such. Made it a tough choice for me between the at pro and the at gold. I like you went for the gold and was interested in your thoughts and impressions.
diggerjoe  
Posted : Sunday, 30 October 2011 7:30:21 PM(UTC)
diggerjoe

Hi Guardian,

Only had time to give the "beast" a bit of a spin around the house which only has mild soil,so she ground balanced easily and had no problems picking

up targets with the stock 5x8 coil which I wanted to dig up,but was told by the old lady there's no way you're digging up the lawn! I have not tried the

4.5" sniper coil yet which Garrett told me is submersible to about 2 metres.

I'm dying to take the Gold and also the Infinium with the 3x7 and the 8"mono coils to some of the fossicking areas in Central and the West Coast to

see how they handle the rivers. It would also be interesting to compare both detectors.
diggerjoe  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 5:53:50 PM(UTC)
diggerjoe

Following up from my previous post Guardian, you probably figured I intend to use the AT Gold in conjunction with the Infinium

for gold prospecting in which they both were designed for.The AT gold will hit the smaller gold being a 18 khz detector and also

features 2 types of discrimination modes which will be good in really trashy ground (watching the Garrett video discrim mode 1

is good at cancelling out hot rocks and iron) and a all metal mode which is meant to enhance depth and sensitivity to metal targets .Probably don't

have to worry about the ground balance problems they had in Oz as our ground is mild compared to their harsh soils.The Infinium will hit the larger size

gold ,but much deeper than the AT Gold, being a pulse machine.The bonus is both detectors are waterproof, the AT GOLD to 10 feet and the Infinium

to 200 feet.Some good videos to watch are the Finding Gold series by Mat Matson on UTUBE particularly video VIII on detectors where he tests several

detectors including the Infinium and the Whites MXT which is nearest equivalent to the AT Gold of the other detectors he tests.
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 7:27:18 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Hi Diggerjoe

Thanks for the info on the vids.
And the GB, thought It was going to be ok but great to have some reassurance!

I've got a lot to learn about detectors, had an Ace 250 when they first came out, loved getting out and about spending time with the old man (he still has his) but that darn bell tone drove me mad. I picked his up the other week, not two minutes into swinging it found some coins - that was it hooked again!
The hunt for the new detector began!

Ace 250 - I'll end up using it as a hockey stick with that darn bell tone.
Fisher F2 - Seemed great as a beginner detector and cheap
Fisher F4 - Was pretty much sold on this detector until I thought, I'll end up drowning it.
Then found the Garrett AT range. Ended up with the Gold as I thought it had the edge over the pro and I don't plan on doing any beach hunting at this stage.

As for gold fields it will be interesting to try some down here have only been to Lawrence (Gabriels gully) and I was a bit let down visiting there after going to far superior sites on the coast, still was a great day out and for me that's what it's all about.

Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 8:24:44 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

It FINALLY arrived today and I'm impressed.
This is only my second machine but WOW it was easy to use and no more bell tones!!!
In under 30 min (WHY oh WHY did it have to snow on my parade) Found 5 Coins a lead sinker, a piece of a knife, a washer, a crushed can and a tiny piece of foil. So now the machine is the big $3 closer to paying off its national debt! Woohoooo!
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 8:50:26 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Good work mate welcome to the club.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
NuggetHead  
Posted : Saturday, 5 November 2011 9:01:45 PM(UTC)
NuggetHead

Man

Wooot... Ordered my AT Gold from Tactical Solutions Corp (Thanks DiggerJoe). So, arrive in NZ (CHCH) from Malaysia (KL) on the 20/11/11, fly to Auckland, collect Detector :) Spend about 3 weeks in the North Island (Family, friends, sightseeing, maybe some dectecting - shussshhhhhhhh :) then on to the South Island for some Fossicking (and sightseeing, Friends, Family etc...) in the public fossicking areas for about 3-4 weeks, Camping only, hard core here I tell you ... lol. So hopefully the new purchase will be up to putting me on to some colour.... will update here as we progress (oh the we is me and my wife :)........ Maybe can see some of you around the PFA on the West Coast..... Who knows......
Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 5 December 2011 9:10:50 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Hi Diggerjoe

How did you get on with your AT GOLD ?
diggerjoe  
Posted : Monday, 5 December 2011 6:19:55 PM(UTC)
diggerjoe

Hi Guardian,

I enjoy using the AT Gold,but have not lately as it's quite full on at this time of year for the business.

It's nice and light and it's response speed is very good.I have the 4.5" sniper coil on at the moment and

find for it's size I find it has good depth on targets and being a solid coil it does'nt catch on branches

and is really good in tight spaces.Have been trying it out on a river gravel section behind the house with lots of metal junk

buried in it.Found lots of iron junk,copper piping,aluminum scrap and nails but no coins or gold!

Good practice I suppose as I'm aiming to take the Gold and the Infinium out to some of the fossicking areas

to see how they perform in the rivers.

By the way how are you and NuggetHead getting on with your AT Golds?
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 5 December 2011 9:45:28 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, What did you pay for the AT Gold here in NZ?? I quite like the sounds of it. Not sure if this is the same vidoe footage at the start of this thread as I tried opening it & it wasnt happening.
http://www.akmining.com/...t-s-New-Detector-is-here!-The-AT-Gold...

Enjoy.

JW :)
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 December 2011 8:53:57 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Hi JW

I got mine from a dealer (off e-bay) cost US$679 including shipping then got stung by customs about NZ $160 (from memory)
It's a good machine but still waiting to compare it to the gold bug. It doesn't like salt water or wet sand at all.
There are a good amount of vids on the Garrett site.

I've had mine just over a month and have only used it at a few local parks, takes a bit of swinging with the small coil (a larger one is on my santa list) but it picks small stuff up and the iron audio makes it easier to decide if something is worth digging + it has the true all metal mode.

Has been fun, this is most of the finds so far not including the cars (they get snaffled by my son pretty quick) and the smaller usable coins pay for my child labour ~grin~ no rings as yet not the detector just a lazy user not digging lower signals $87 in goldies so far which is funny because $25 was found in one day last week.

Edited by user Tuesday, 6 December 2011 8:58:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
diggerjoe  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 December 2011 9:19:19 AM(UTC)
diggerjoe

Hi JW,

The price of the AT Gold at Tactical Solutions is NZ$1349 including GST,but not sure of the dealers.

I like Guardian got mine from the US,I used Kellyco and payed the same price as him.
diggerjoe  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 December 2011 9:23:31 AM(UTC)
diggerjoe

Hi Guardian,

Great collection of coins you've found there.

If you keep that up you'll pay for the AT Gold in no time!
2 Pages12>