New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

mem  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 3:12:41 AM(UTC)
mem

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi guys, i have been wondering if anybody on here has ever seen or used this machine,i bought one a couple of years ago took it to NZ and left it there, used it for about an hour , so i have not really learned how to use it.
What do you recon, have i bought a dud one ,because every one here mostly seems to be using the gold bugs but no mention of the stinger.
Your thoughts would be appericiated.

Thanks Mem.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 6:47:57 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Mem, The Gold Stinger is pretty old technology these days & a bit of a dinosaur. About time Garrett did something about it & I believe they are. But like any detector, if in the hands of some one who knows the machine inside out then it could be ok. Technology has left them behind.

JW :)
mem  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 9:01:08 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Thanks for the info JW, what a bummer, i better start looking for another one then,everybody seems to be going on about the gold bug 2 ,i have just had a look at some of them,gets a bit confusing which to pick (maybe its because i just woke up) theres the gold bug, gold bug 2, gold bug pro,and gold bug this and that.
I am looking forward to your thoughts on these,i dont want to make the same mistake and buy an oldie again.
Thanks Mem.
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 8:27:06 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Mem, Yes the Gold bug 2 is a good VLF detector on tiny gold close to the surface. I have had a few rants about this & frequencies etc & I am sure you have read those posts so wont repeat here. The truth of the matter is that it depends how serious you really are at wanting to find some gold. (I take it it is gold you are after). If it is & you really want to find some good bits of gold then you need to spend the money & get the best machine for the job & that is a Minelab PI machine. Doesnt need to be the latest GPX 5000. An extreme onwards would be a good place to start. You need to be mindful that where ever you go detecting you are bound not to be the first to have ever swung a coil over that spot. The chances are that maybe a Minelab hasnt been over it, but dont hold your breath. The bug 2 has been around a while & still holds it own for that type of gold. (tiny) I know it is very confusing as there are a few models of fisher gold bugs out there now. So do your home work & get the best one you can, which in my opinion would be the bug 2 in the fisher range for gold. If your buget can be stretched then get a Minelab.

Happy hunting

JW :)
mem  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 9:02:15 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Thanks again JW,yes i had read all the posts before, but you know how it is try to take in so much in the end i dont remeber nothing lol,gold bug 2 then and i will look at the minelabs when i am in melbourne in a couple of months.
Ohh hope you dont moan about the thanks again, but i seem to be getting a bit thanky type of guy as well lol.
Mem
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 9:03:02 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
As far as the Gold Bugs go there are really basically 2 models; the Gold Bug 2, and several veriations of the new Gold Bug. The DP and Pro have upgraded software over the regular Gold Bug, the difference between the two being coil size.
mem  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 9:52:07 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

I have made a note of that as well RGM.
Thanks Mem.