New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 September 2011 10:47:14 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Hell yeah simon bring on summer! Just under 8 weeks till i head for the bush for a few months! Will be great, ive got a few fellow miners that i'll be catching up with during that time. The hard part is getting thru the 8 weeks as all my exams lie between now and then.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 September 2011 12:34:39 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
"I too have the fisher F2 but with the 11" dd coil which I love!! i havn't even unwrapped the original 8" coil but the machine has awesome fast recovery rate in loaded area's and in my case is a silver coin magnet. Only let down is the depth, don't expect huge deep holes.."

What sort of depth is it hitting coins? What would be max depth do you think? I was hoping to be able to keep up with nzpoohbear40 on the coins (obviously not on the gold).
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
madsonicboating  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 September 2011 2:49:53 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
"I too have the fisher F2 but with the 11" dd coil which I love!! i havn't even unwrapped the original 8" coil but the machine has awesome fast recovery rate in loaded area's and in my case is a silver coin magnet. Only let down is the depth, don't expect huge deep holes.."

What sort of depth is it hitting coins? What would be max depth do you think? I was hoping to be able to keep up with nzpoohbear40 on the coins (obviously not on the gold).

most coins I dig are up to 8" deep so it does go deep enough for most area's. just watch some of my youtube vids ( http://www.youtube.com/p...ile?user=madsonicboating ) and you'l see how many coins they will find....bit like gold I guess...its where ya find it :D

Happy Hunting
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 September 2011 3:46:46 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Well 8 inches is deep enough for me! I cant be bothered digging down too far to find a pull tab or a bottle cap.....on the beach would be different story of course but yeah I get frustrated digging a big hole to just find junk. I have a $150 el cheapo detector which I have sussed out the sound of a coin but its identical to a pull tab, a bottle top and those pull off foil tops on the top of a powerade type bottle. Found 25 coins in an hour this morning.Over 90% strike rate...first was a $2 which was good as id just sat the detector down to turn it on and it was in the middle of a sports ground and just happened to be right on a $2 coin. Whats the chances of that? Only other interesting find was a broken half penny from 1941. I notice a lot of the early coins are broken. Is that due to the thinness and what they are made of do you think?
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 September 2011 4:01:59 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Thankyou chch for your PM. I can only desriminate solid hits from foil by experience, built up by hours on the ace. You have to dig the foil or you could miss out. Sounds like your machine works quite well for general fossicking so alls good. Some small beeps turn out to be valuable ones the deeper you dig, yeha. But in saying that i search the dry sand on beachs. Any machine works well if you know how to use it i guess. Look at Chrisyboys home made one. it works very well. He even found a GOLD, i repeat, a GOLD 325 bracelet.... eh, he just got lucky..

Shane

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, 13 September 2011 4:49:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
madsonicboating  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 September 2011 4:57:38 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Well 8 inches is deep enough for me! I cant be bothered digging down too far to find a pull tab or a bottle cap.....on the beach would be different story of course but yeah I get frustrated digging a big hole to just find junk. I have a $150 el cheapo detector which I have sussed out the sound of a coin but its identical to a pull tab, a bottle top and those pull off foil tops on the top of a powerade type bottle. Found 25 coins in an hour this morning.Over 90% strike rate...first was a $2 which was good as id just sat the detector down to turn it on and it was in the middle of a sports ground and just happened to be right on a $2 coin. Whats the chances of that? Only other interesting find was a broken half penny from 1941. I notice a lot of the early coins are broken. Is that due to the thinness and what they are made of do you think?

The F2 has a great pin point button and also an ID number that comes up in relation to the metal found. Generally speaking the deeper the signal the more likely it is some cool old coin or old relic...most pull tabs don't tend to be as deep as good old stuff. In saying that the depth of a coin will vary what your ID range wll read as IE a silver thruppence at 3" deep will read 54 ish but at 6" deep it will tend to jump from 34-44-54...when you get funny signals like that and after pinpointing to get depth and placement, after awhile of digging stuff you get a lot better idea of whats in the hole.

Another good practice is to take note of every ID readout, vs depth, and guess what it is that you think you're digging. this is a good way to learn your machine and its capabilities.

A lot of people watch our vids or see photos and don't realise tha we've probably dug over 1000 pulltabs, bits of can, soda tops etc to get to whre we have today.

Old coins are made of far better material than todays coins ...broken ones probably mean a lawn mower has won the fight...remember most sports fields have had mowers cutting the grass for a long long time.

enough gas bagging...Ijust done an hour at my local park and it appears I have cleaned it out pretty well as no coins found...so buggerit I'm off to another little hot spot I know of to find me some silver!

:-D
Dan

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 September 2011 4:58:04 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
Oh No. Not again. sometimes this forum is more a fishing forum - a lot a baiting and biting as someone mentioned above.

while i haven't been with the forum since day 1 i have been with it as long as i can remember.

so far i have met up and hit the rivers with gavin, hatter, and zimbo.

i have learnt loads from jw, lammerlaw, criticol (RIP), and co, and lo and behold, even new entrants. yep, everyone has something to teach others.

without the likes of the above people this site would not have the vast knowledge that it is. i try and stay out of all the shit but i try and follow all posts, even these ones that head off topic.

this shit is better than shortland street! i think someone else said that too a while back.

i'm looking forward to summer mining. anyone else?

Simon - I try to stay out of the shit to but sadly the more one contributes the more you get - usually from jealous lowlifes.

...and I am sure looking forward to summer gold mining as it will get me away from the distracting influence of the computer and its petty politics...for the first time in ten years and more I might even get really serious again this year. It was snowing hard at my place today and trying to yesterday so that puts things back but yesterday the creek was as high as it gets and that prevented me from doing anything as I had gone to have a poke about.

Edited by user Tuesday, 13 September 2011 6:23:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 September 2011 11:17:55 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
yes i agree dan you do get use to depths and diff sounds of the machine..like with my gold bug if i get a solid 79 and a depth of 0 to 3 inches i am 99% sure it is a 1 or 2 dollar coin..but if i get a solid 79 and it is 4 inches or deeper then i am 99% sure it is a 1 cent piece...also a solid 66 at 2 inches and deeper is normal a old 20 cent piece...and so on..but you still get caught with signals as there are other things that give the same signal such as pull tabs and bottle tops....
but it definatlly gets easier as you get to know your equipment.
i thought i had silver peged at 85 but then my shillings came in at about 67..lol..the rings at 85..so i guess even though the same material it also depends on the shape of the object as to what signal you get.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
chrischch  
Posted : Saturday, 17 September 2011 12:10:23 AM(UTC)
chrischch

Got the fisher f2 today....looking forward to trying it out this weekend. :)
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 17 September 2011 12:53:16 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
bet you cant wait chris...lol...it was a pleasure droping it off to you today...and as i said on the phone i am sure dan would be happy to give you a small list of readings and depths that are almost sure things on the F2 as he has one and has found lots with it.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
2 Pages<12