New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 7:36:29 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Totally off topic but need to vent sorry.
I had the misfortune of having my wallet stolen today with my savings for a detector within. I was in a public bar for 10 minutes when I noticed. I asked around to no avail. I then asked the manager to look at cameras.
We found the person responsible and phoned the police to let them know the offender was still on the premises spending my money on the pokies. I wanted to "apprehend" them myself but was told to wait for police. Whilst we waited, we realised we had the wrong person, it was a manly looking woman (i use this term lightly) not a bloke.
As the staff at the pub knew she was a regular, we waited for the police to give them the details etc so when she comes back, there is a complaint number etc etc
The police were never told that the person wasnt still there but as off 6pm, no sign of police. This all happened at 1.30pm.
I went home and phoned the police again to see what happened....they told me it was logged as urgent and they would be there asap. I said "a bit late now dont you think?" but wasnt rude as I wanted to get something done.
I also asked if they would print the persons picture with the other mug shots you see in the newspaper but no they would not.
They never asked me actually how much I had pinched so why did they brush it off?
Why didnt they come when as far as they knew, the offender was still there!?
What would you do next? Media? Local MP? Count your losses and forget it?
I now have the arduos task of trying to remember what was in there and cancelling the lot, paying for new license etc etc
We looked in the toilets, cistern, car parks and bins around the locality to no avail.
All I can hope is the dyke dumps it and a decent person hands it in.
Obviously the money is gone.
What should I do if/when I spot her? Obviously the police probably wont come.....unless I assault her. Would I get charged for male assaults female if she honestly looks and acts like a bloke?
I feel pretty violated as I have never had this happen before.
Any decent advice guys?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 9:50:21 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Ah man that just sucks.Sorry I cant offer any useful advice except you WILL end up on an assault charge.The cops will show up the second you lay a finger on her and once more the decent bloke gets shafted.
One of the reasons i quit the UK was to get away from this sort of crap but sadly its happening here too.

Genuinely sorry to hear about that brother.
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 10:21:41 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Thank you. Yes I thought as much. What do they expect me to do though? I rang them....the person was there (or so we all thought) and they didnt arrive....now I have the persons picture so I cant get it wrong but even if I find her, I cant rely on the police for help and if I do anything illegal they will race to the scene or just happen to be nearby (murphies bloody law). I guess I have to decide if a charge is worth the satisfaction..................probably not. I may go to the local m.p. and see if they will help me get the persons mugshot in the local free paper. They did it for the Botox Bandit and noone actually asked how much money there was in my wallet. It could have been $1000 so wheres the difference?
So p*ssed off, I cant even eat or concentrate.
tonznz  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 10:36:49 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Bad luck mate. Its a wonder the bar manager help you, maybe with another staff member, accost the person and demand the wallet back. I mean they had the evidence. I bet they would step in if a patron was damaging pub property or taking property from the pub. I bet they wouldn't wait for the police in that instance. Pretty sad. Sorry to hear.
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 10:44:43 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Originally Posted by: tonznz Go to Quoted Post
Bad luck mate. Its a wonder the bar manager help you, maybe with another staff member, accost the person and demand the wallet back. I mean they had the evidence. I bet they would step in if a patron was damaging pub property or taking property from the pub. I bet they wouldn't wait for the police in that instance. Pretty sad. Sorry to hear.

The bar manager and staff were great.....they said they would lock the doors until police got there but then we realised we were watching a man when it was a dyke/woman on the cameras. She had got away in meantime. They said she is a regular (2 or 3 times a week) but noone knew her name. They are going to ring me and the police when she shows up again but I wont hold my breath for the police to show.
The other local pub is on the lookout also for her.....known to them too but no name unfortunately.

10/10 for the manager and staff. They were extremely helpful letting me look at the cameras etc
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 10:47:02 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
That sucks...there,s some scum around alrite.
if you see her and want the cop,s there in a hurry just get all angery tell them youl brake all her fingers if there not there in 5....and sit back and wait....they,l turn up then..!
if they didnt turn up i wonder what would happen if you did break them...should be the cops fault then....after all you wouldv warned them :)
....OR you could tell them she,s stealing some light fittings theyl definatly be there then and could well slap her around a bit!
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 11:12:00 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
That sucks...there,s some scum around alrite.
if you see her and want the cop,s there in a hurry just get all angery tell them youl brake all her fingers if there not there in 5....and sit back and wait....they,l turn up then..!
if they didnt turn up i wonder what would happen if you did break them...should be the cops fault then....after all you wouldv warned them :)
....OR you could tell them she,s stealing some light fittings theyl definatly be there then and could well slap her around a bit!

Light fittings hahaha Wish I'd thought of that! Shows how cocked up our police system is doesnt it?
If/when I spot her and phoning police,I mite just start yelling shes got a knife! oh noo! no!!!! Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!! then hang up mid sentence.....would that work?
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 September 2011 9:14:32 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hey there chrischch. Sorry to hear this, wot a bummer. It goes on alot at pubs and clubs. Because of the video evidence there is proof that a crime has been committed. Even tho the staff were helpful i do believe it is thier responsibility to follow this theft up and act on it. Wot you need is her/it, the police and the photo all in one room, how i dont know but worth a try. Dont back down if you can. If you see her/it/shim again take something of thiers and cause a scene till the police arrive. Rip out the photo and reak havoc.. Good luck mate, hope you get joy..

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 September 2011 9:52:09 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
You need to make your complaint now if you want to take any action against her/it later.

chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 September 2011 2:36:38 PM(UTC)
chrischch

The police phoned this morning and said they cant promise anything but they may come this afternoon......great another wasted afternoon waiting for the police when I could be out trying to find where she/it dumped my wallet.