New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Glennl  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 8:10:21 PM(UTC)
Glennl

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all, does anyone have any ideas for making decent dredge floats? Apart from inner tubes, or paying for new ones, if anyone has built their own and had success with them and doesn't mind sharing their ideas then I would love to hear from them. Have thought about using 100mm pvc pipe with end caps but maybe somebody else has already been down this road. Cheers.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 9:37:07 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
yea pvc has been used before and it can be expensive once you start getting end caps. being round it then presents attachment problems

i would sugest getting 2 blowup dolls one for each side great when getting bored and they have a good use on those long winter nights when its cold

if you use male ones you would have the advantage of haveing something to tie to
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 10:05:37 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Quote:
i would sugest getting 2 blowup dolls one for each side great when getting bored and they have a good use on those long winter nights when its cold

if you use male ones you would have the advantage of haveing something to tie to

That is why I read this forum, for the good sound practicle advice.
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 10:13:37 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Quick tip-do NOT fill a blow up doll (male or female) with helium and go on a 500 k road trip with said object tied to a piece of string and hanging out the sunroof.

Some police ossifers dont seem to have a sense of humour... (",)
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 10:25:36 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
I saw some great floats a wile back......you no at hydro dams they have a big line of floats strung out around the intake,s.....them!
only trouble is there orange and bolted together......o and of course you could block an intake with logs and somehow fill the dam to much...possibly cause it to blow....mind you the floats would be free and could be some great dredging after all the water has gone....

how big is the dredge going to be...?
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 10:34:52 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
I bet some of the large boat fenders would make great floats although they are probably expensive.
keen  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 September 2011 8:59:57 PM(UTC)
keen

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Empty 20L drench containers work really well. If you get the right ones they lock together end on end making a solid float. Have made a few rafts with these and old pellets and even a floating miamia. Most farmers will have plenty lying around and will be happy to get rid of them

Edited by user Wednesday, 14 September 2011 10:02:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 September 2011 9:25:05 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
My son has just converted his body board into a float!...I shall wait with baited breath to see if it does or doesnt work.

I have a set of pontoons which maybe I should offer for sale on trademe...or here...I would hate t know how much they would cost now as each cylinder, one form each side is a four foot by eight foot sheet of Aluminium. The are joined with angle aluminium but bolted rather than welded so that they can be taken apart....any handsome offers?
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 8 September 2011 9:28:13 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi lammerlaw
give you an idea of price if you note my dredge photo the pontoons are 2.4m long 400mm x 200mm deepribbed on the inside with angle runner on the bottom and stiffened with angle edges all made from aliminium all fully welded
price to make round$1000 for the two
watching them work priceless

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 8 September 2011 9:36:31 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
hi lammerlaw
give you an idea of price if you note my dredge photo the pontoons are 2.4m long 400mm x 200mm deepribbed on the inside with angle runner on the bottom and stiffened with angle edges all made from aliminium all fully welded
price to make round$1000 for the two
watching them work priceless

]
Struth maybe I ought to put them up for sale - I got the sheets of aluminium given to me a quarter century ago or more and it cost me $450 for the welding as far as it was carried but that did include box sections top, bottom and sides to reinforce and a cone on the leading edge and each pontoon is round...I think I would prefer square in retrospect.
For scrap metal they are probably worth a dollar or two...now you really have me pondering.