New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

zimbo  
Posted : Monday, 13 July 2015 7:55:48 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 18 post(s)
we got there Friday midday and man was it busy! Over ten sluice boxs on a small patch of cobbles. Everyone was getting gold, one local miner reckons he averages between 6 and 10grams a day. the best time to strike it lucky, is just after a big storm. The beach was sparkling red with garnets. This is a good sign that the sand with will pay 80+ colours a pan. I used a 4metre long roofing gutter 250mm wide. The gold is so fine, it finds its way right to the end of the box. I was told by a local farmer that the beach is under claim, but the claim owner wants to make the area next to the car park down mullens road a public fossicking area. And before I course a gold rush get permission from the claim owner first..

Edited by user Monday, 13 July 2015 9:25:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

c4bb0ose  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 July 2015 1:22:22 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I see no mining claim on the permit map, only a prospecting permit. BUT on the nzpam website there is a mining permit exclusively for the beach which is new. Thats going to russel some locals a bit, it is nice that he/she is considering applying to make that stream a public fossicking area.
zimbo  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 July 2015 9:23:56 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Yeah that would be awesome if it goes through
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 18 July 2015 5:39:02 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zimbo Go to Quoted Post
Yeah that would be awesome if it goes through

Gezz good luck trying to work out were the boundarys are on those claims 2 of them anyway..just had a look on nzpam as well looks like the bloke that is in the surf/beech should have made it bigger and stoped someone from coming in behind !! ...if you have the room to make it 50 hectares mays well do it because that's what you will be paying for each year to nzpam biggest claim out of the 3 is 24 hectare ....mind you the boundary could be the least of there worrys ....once the locals find out lol :)
kaos  
Posted : Monday, 3 August 2015 11:13:02 AM(UTC)
kaos

New Zealand

hi just found out the locals have just brought the claim. One local farmer said a few of them got together because it was getting too crowded.
spud  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 September 2015 12:07:33 PM(UTC)
spud

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi guys iv been a long time watcher thought it was time I joined up im pretty new to this but no how to work the nzpam websight etc so I no were claims are & no to keep off of them !! I was doing a bit of sluicing at gemstone until I was told about/read about the claims so for interest sake I looked it up No. 57047 & 60014.01 to see if there was perhaps a small bit of ground not covered by the permits , does anyone no the claim owner for 60014.01 ?
also how can you tell were the boundary is 1 claim appears to be in the water (granted) & the other on the beech (Under Evaluation ) is that correct ? its a little confusing !
Feel free to send a PM
cheers..spud
kaos  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 September 2015 9:30:55 PM(UTC)
kaos

New Zealand

Hi shot out to Orepuki after reading your post Spud. Had a yarn with some of the claim owner's they said you were out there with a wrinkly map telling them that you talked to the owner . I was pissed off when they told me to leave to but after thinking about it I understand it's there living. You should leave them alone and go and work your own claim.
spud  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 September 2015 11:03:43 PM(UTC)
spud

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: kaos Go to Quoted Post
Hi shot out to Orepuki after reading your post Spud. Had a yarn with some of the claim owner's they said you were out there with a wrinkly map telling them that you talked to the owner . I was pissed off when they told me to leave to but after thinking about it I understand it's there living. You should leave them alone and go and work your own claim.

Hi Kaos
Think you have your wires crossed iv never spoken to anyone about it hence the questions I haven't been out for around 6-7 weeks & sadley I don't have a claim last time I was there it was pretty busy all I have done is look on nzpam & thought it was a pretty lagit question perhaps you could ask the claim owners to clarify as you must admit it does look a little tricky to work out going by the minerals map which is why I would like to talk to the owner as looking at it the area below the carpark isn't covered by a permit or at the least a granted one .ok so obviously im not the only one asking questions if someone else has turned up with a wrinkly map ! im no claim jumper so if it is covered I certainly wont be going out..it just dosnt look like its covered.

Thanks for the reply.
cheers.

simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 September 2015 11:13:08 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
looks like its all claimed to me. but the land behind the beach isn't. including the land along the creek.
spud  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 September 2015 11:30:34 PM(UTC)
spud

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
looks like its all claimed to me. but the land behind the beach isn't. including the land along the creek.

Yea iv just sused out another view its much clearer, the granted permit is mostly in the surf by the looks of it the one that's not yet granted looks mostly on the beech but im not that great on these but if you go on the nzpam permit map and zoom in a bit and at the top rite it says basemaps click on that then click the topo option it shows much more detail like the bluffs roads etc...I don't think I will go out not unless I can at least let someone no of my intentions and keep well away if it was possible .

Thanks simon.
kaos  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 September 2015 11:35:44 PM(UTC)
kaos

New Zealand

yes understand....
I did ask the question regarding the nzpam map if you look on website maps are all different for this area..
They however showed me there claim and print out of map regarding there claim and it is right up to cliffs....so they do have it covered
you should go talk to them... they are very approachable

Cheers

spud  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 September 2015 11:47:12 PM(UTC)
spud

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: kaos Go to Quoted Post
yes understand....
I did ask the question regarding the nzpam map if you look on website maps are all different for this area..
They however showed me there claim and print out of map regarding there claim and it is right up to cliffs....so they do have it covered
you should go talk to them... they are very approachable

Cheers

Hey thanks for that also just to update my last post on the basemap option click on the aerial image its 100% clearer & the carpark bit is mostly covered its an interesting view much better than any of the other map options as you can clearly see the bluffs , boundary's etc o well back to the drawing board :)

simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 September 2015 11:52:59 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
what about trying the streams in the longwords? you might even find some platinum. i haven't been up there since i was young but i do remember finding a nice round marble cobble in the stream not far from the old engines i think it was.
spud  
Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2015 10:59:05 AM(UTC)
spud

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
what about trying the streams in the longwords? you might even find some platinum. i haven't been up there since i was young but i do remember finding a nice round marble cobble in the stream not far from the old engines i think it was.

I am to lazy to be stumbling around creek beds :) that's why the beech was good you only had to walk 20 meters and start shovelling in between cigarette breaks .I can understand why it was claimed its just a shame as so many were getting enjoyment out of it if anyone does have T Higgins contact number I would appreciate it...managed to figer out a screen shot of the area .
Thanks for the input guys.
Spud.

Edited by user Thursday, 3 September 2015 2:36:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 4:59:43 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Be wary of the deer stalkers in Longwood forest, they have buck feaver & shot one of their own earlier in the year.
If you venture in there, be sure to sing the deer song loudly:
Aint no deer, not in here.
Dear, the deer live in fear.
So do I, cause we know what you're hunting here...
You know the rest.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 10:32:13 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
its truely scarey in there man - no gold - nothing to see - nothin to fear

more chance of dying with a needle in your arm in auckland than being shot in the Longwoods however that being said the stats are rising sharply in the Longwoods

For the record......even the so-called experts shoot people up there...........then want to carry on shooting up there
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder