New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

tanb  
Posted : Friday, 31 July 2015 5:17:15 PM(UTC)
tanb

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here.
I was just wondering if any of you meet up and go out and about treasure hunting.
I'm in Queenstown and would love to have someone to go out hunting with.
Is there any type of meetings held anywhere?
Anyway just thought it'd be nice to meet some like minded peeps.
I don't know of anyone else here in Queenstown with a metal detector.

I'm also wondering if Palmerston is a good lace to go detecting?

Thanks guys :)
simon  
Posted : Friday, 31 July 2015 11:29:04 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
hey there. theres quite a concentration of detectorists here in queenstown.

what type of treasure hunting are you referring to? everyone i know is after gold thus have detectors suited to finding gold.

there are plenty of historic sites for sure here but a lot have been redeveloped and built over. and the number of people don't make a sly dig somewhere public to attractive.

what detector do you have?

detecting is a bit of a individual thing with the headphones on and all. a lot of guys do it alone as they don't want to share their spots and can be secretive with finds. personally i have gone detecting with others. usually its good to share the travel costs and it adds a bit of safety if its somewhere remote but typically you end up wandering off in different directions which can make meeting up at the end of it a challenge sometimes.

as far as meetings go I'm sure we're all too keen to put in time detecting to waste it on meetings.

i'm keen to head out somewhere at some point for a detect. there are some common spots where many of us go every now and then that always turn up some scrap of gold if you look hard enough.

maybe PM me with some details about yourself and your detector and what detecting you have done if any and we can go from there.

cheers, simon.
tanb  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 August 2015 1:49:39 PM(UTC)
tanb

New Zealand

Oh hi thanks for your reply.

I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro Metal Detector. what are your thoughts about this detector.

I'm actually waiting for it to arrive as I've had it shipped from the USA, as I did an upgrade and gave my last detector to my mother lol

I haven't done to much detecting in the past.

I'd be keen to go out and detect with you at some point also. I'm not to keen to venture off into the wilderness on my own.

Okay well my detector should arrive within the next couple of days,.

Thanks for your feed back.

Cheers

simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 August 2015 9:30:09 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
sorry mate don't know anything about that detector sorry. a lot of guys around here have various minelab models or one of the gold bugs.
yeah, give me a yell when you've got it. before heading out i would get familiar with it though. bury some stuff at different depths etc and see how you go. check out other's results and tips for it on youtube. if you can get your hands on a sample of gold you can try it with that to get familiar with how it sounds and at what depths it picks it up etc.
just remember the two golden rules of finding gold - low and slow. you have to basically rub the ground with the coil rather than wave it around in the air or you just lose half your depth penetration. and overlap your swings so you don't miss anything.
tanb  
Posted : Thursday, 6 August 2015 1:33:20 PM(UTC)
tanb

New Zealand

Hey thanks that's great advise, will definitely give all those tips and tricks a whirl :)

Okay I'll let you know when it arrives.

Thanks again for your hel

Cheers :)