New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

webby1  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 August 2015 9:29:12 PM(UTC)
webby1

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
HI ARE THERE ANY KEENE 6 INCH MINI DREDGES IN THE CENTRAL SOUTH ISLAND I COULD LOOK AT , IM CONSIDERING PURCHASING ONE BUT WOULD LIKE TO LOOK AT ONE FIRST CHEERS , ANY THOUGHTS KEENE VS PROLINE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED TO.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 August 2015 1:47:52 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Webby aye here with his fighting talk ...ok im rolling up my flano sleeves way I see it keene are great excellent recovery proline are well made but whats the point in having one if they don't catch the fine stuff as well why I wouldn't even buy one if they tossed in a free...a free goldbug there no good eather:))
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 August 2015 8:02:54 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
So gingerbreadman, you recon the proline is better on fine gold recovery? Is it better on overall recovery too? How do costs of the two compare?
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 August 2015 2:49:52 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
home built dredges are just way more fun, usually cost less, and if properly researched and built will be superior in gold production. Just my 10 cents worth
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 August 2015 3:39:27 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
So gingerbreadman, you recon the proline is better on fine gold recovery? Is it better on overall recovery too? How do costs of the two compare?

Hi Hatter...comparing the 2 is kind of like asking what is the best gun or calibre ! both dredges are pretty good a mate had a 5" proline it had heaps of suc more than than my keene both had same size engines but my,n was a 6" with 2 P180 pumps iv had my,n for around 5 years it still runs good has always had good recovery which is were they beat the proline the keene is put together differently but that makes no difference because I don't really take it apart were as the proline is nice and simple about the only thing im sus about on the proline sluice is the wave classifier or the non existent riffles under it its just low profile expanded mesh seemly the classifier creates a low pressure zone underneath so standard riffles are not required in the front section were as the keene has the 3 stage sluice which I really like , but then some guys mite say they don't work so well were lots of black sand is present I haven't had any trouble but that said its not very often I dredge in heavy black sand ...there's a fella in oamaru who got a proline and ....put a 3 stage sluice on it maybe that is the answer !! :)
I hope the above makes your decision easier webby haha good luck !
Nz13  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 August 2015 4:25:38 PM(UTC)
Nz13

We have a proline 5" twin engine in oamaru.. gbm is right about the fine gold recovery on the factory sluice being pretty shit. Soni built a custom 3 stage box very similar to keenes and it's fantastic. If you could buy a proline dredge with the keene sluice that would be the machine to have. As gbm said the was everything on the proline works like hose attachment etc is far superior to keene and the one piece plastic flare and jet system. Don't even get me started on the suck. It has more than a 18yr school girl.... any questions about it happy to help

Ben
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 August 2015 8:54:08 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post

Hi Hatter...comparing the 2 is kind of like asking what is the best gun or calibre ! both dredges are pretty good a mate had a 5" proline it had heaps of suc more than than my keene both had same size engines but my,n was a 6" with 2 P180 pumps iv had my,n for around 5 years it still runs good has always had good recovery which is were they beat the proline the keene is put together differently but that makes no difference because I don't really take it apart were as the proline is nice and simple about the only thing im sus about on the proline sluice is the wave classifier or the non existent riffles under it its just low profile expanded mesh seemly the classifier creates a low pressure zone underneath so standard riffles are not required in the front section were as the keene has the 3 stage sluice which I really like , but then some guys mite say they don't work so well were lots of black sand is present I haven't had any trouble but that said its not very often I dredge in heavy black sand ...there's a fella in oamaru who got a proline and ....put a 3 stage sluice on it maybe that is the answer !! :)
I hope the above makes your decision easier webby haha good luck !

Ok thanks for going to the trouble of explaining that a bit more. I hope that in the moderately near future I will need to chose which bit of gear I am going to buy. I don't intend to dredge in black sand so the Keene will be fine. I have used a mates 6 inch keene a wee bit and have been very impressed with it.

Cheers and beers
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
webby1  
Posted : Saturday, 29 August 2015 3:27:18 PM(UTC)
webby1

New Zealand

HI THANKS ALL IM THINKING KEENE THOUGH IM NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE WAY THERE PUT TOGETHER THO ,IVE GOT A DREDGE NZ 5 AND WOULDNT PART WITH IT FOR ANYTHING ALSO A HOME MADE 4 ON KEENE PONTOONS AND A SWIMJOY PUMP AND HONDA 5.5HP MOTOR HAS WICKED SUCK, BUT WANT TO SHIFT MORE MATERIAL ANY WAY CHEERS ALL