New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 2:24:00 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Heading into the bush you can save on weight & space by switching your headphones out for earphones/earbuds.
(Do becareful of bluetooth wireless, they can reprogram your detector)

Also my detector came with two battery leads, one was a shorter bungy (curly) which I thought would be better, being shorter & maleable. However it snags on bush crazily. So take straight leads if you can.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 10:11:50 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I always take a spare pair of bud headphones after dropping my main headphones into the drink one time. Always handy to have a light weight backup even if you prefer the bigger ones!
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 5:11:01 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
I ever started taking a spare coil and detector unit after I fell off a bank and went for a swim with my detector pack and all. Good way to wake up first thing in the morning
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Goldflinger  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 6:43:40 PM(UTC)
Goldflinger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
Also my detector came with two battery leads, one was a shorter bungy (curly) which I thought would be better, being shorter & maleable. However it snags on bush crazily. So take straight leads if you can.

What detector you using bro?

Pilot of a Mighty AT Pro - "Gold Flinger"
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 8:09:28 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Do be careful of bluetooth wireless, they can reprogram your detector)...

I think that is a relatively isolated issue based on not RTFM, as long as you fire up bluetooth before plugging in, you'll be fine.
Of greater "concern" is the delay experienced with bluetooth - I use an FM transmitter and it's instantaneous, no lag.
(Plus no reprogramming issues)

MW

sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 October 2015 7:05:35 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
I ever started taking a spare coil and detector unit after I fell off a bank and went for a swim with my detector pack and all. Good way to wake up first thing in the morning

dangerous & expensive if you use an alarm like that hatter - lol - but great humour for the rest of us having a morning coffee - PMSL ;)

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 16 October 2015 10:31:41 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

If you put your equipment down; PLACE IT NEAR your other items. I nearly left my mattock on a DOC track, after stopping to get some water.
You can get these amazing expandable towels (add pix soon).
They are about the size of an odd fellow minty and when you add about 2 dessert spoons of water they swell like a tampon & you end up with a perforated facecloth about the thickness of a paper towel.
Take a spade - I've 3 deep targets in riverbed that I must go back to investigate.
I'll try to make a small spade head with a screw on short broom handle; for compact travelling size, if I cannot find anything similar.
Recommendations would be great, if you guys have any?
Also found some mosquito repelling dry tabs, they fit into a wristband. Unsure if they'll protect ankles & ward off sandflies (will test when I head back to that dry riverbed).
And I recommend sandals - nothing worse than a stone or mud in your boot.
I'm going into rivers and a full wetsuit works well with sandals. Also great for when crossing rivers & surviving cold rainny days. And let me tell you the streams in Corromadel are quite cold even on a sunny day. Someone else posted some tips with wetsuits in coro rivers; somthing about kneepads or duct tape to reduce wear from rocks - I want to make a complete list of bush tips here, if anyone wants to assist?
Anyone know if a tube of jam & poison comes premixed for screeching possums - or do I have to make my own using & an old toothpaste tube?

Edited by user Friday, 16 October 2015 12:18:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mwyatt  
Posted : Saturday, 2 January 2016 9:42:50 PM(UTC)
mwyatt

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
sandflies

I hate those bugs...one of those buggers bite me and I itch for a week.
Southridge  
Posted : Sunday, 3 January 2016 8:26:32 AM(UTC)
Southridge

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The best bug spray buy a country mile is blue aero guard in a small spray bottle not the aerosol can I have tried all sorts of stuff homemade and bought but after 8 years of tests and field trials lol aero guard is good enough To fend off the worst of them
As for the screeching possum unless u have a poison license that magic tube of shut the f@&$ up ain't gunna happen sorry but a well placed rock will send him running lol it's the kea and weka that drove me nuts can remember haveing the same group of kea come and visit us every mourning at about 3 am for about 7 days in a row lol and weka scrapping under the hut for a dry spot of ground could drive you nuts lol
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 3 January 2016 8:32:07 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Sorry for not uploading pix, been busy leaving my home & preparing for my trip.
Will do so soon.

I'm also taking a second pair of ear plugs - would be the worst thing for me to trudge all the way back to civilization just cause they fail or get wet.
Yes, I also have been using that Aero Guard for 15 years. I'm taking a bottle with me, in addition to my wrist straps.
under the bedrock  
Posted : Sunday, 3 January 2016 10:24:00 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
take a head net to keep the mozzies away at night
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 8:23:07 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: under the bedrock Go to Quoted Post
take a head net to keep the mozzies away at night

I tried one of these, and found it stuck to my face. (I also drool a bit in my sleep.)
Think a mosquito net would be better. I now have a hammock that seals up at the top, so nothing can get in.
The wrist straps keep going for 2 weeks and so you can hang them nearby when sleeping.
under the bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 9:31:03 AM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
make sure you have a decent slash before getting into your hammock.
I remember a friend had a few suds at night then climbed into his hammock for a good sleep and in the night needed to empty his bladder and could not free the zipper in the hammock and ended up spewing in the hammock the forcing the zipper to open thereby damaging it.
I found it funny but at the time he didn't.

Just sayn -have a slash before you crash-
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 1:39:02 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

I don't cook in the bush, so cold soup sachets are often dinner. Woke up at midnight in need, pulled down the side and was able to relieve my self.
Not a habbit you want to make with a regular camping spot in dry weather.
I'm sure the ladies could figure out some kind of backwards maneuver.

My hammock doesn't have any zippers. But it is a pain to get out of the sleeping bag and hammock which is taunt & 1.5m off the ground.
Provided there are two trees 4 metres apart and the tension is correct - easy to do by marking the rope ties with a knot when packing, the hammock naturally closes up at the top.
I'll post a picture of my hammock compact & set up at some point.

It is Hammock Bliss, and I purchased from www.equipoutdoors.co.nz
UserPostedImage
The picture shows the pouch to pack it away in, this can also be used as a pocket when in use for your cellphone or torch etc.
You can get some tree straps - but I've never tried them (they are for trees with no branches/knots/and the like.
If the tree is on a slight inwards lean its all you need, or you can cut a minor groove in the bark (nothing that will do permanent harm to the tree).
I've even used a Kawakawa Tree, you don't need a massive tree at all.

Edited by user Monday, 4 January 2016 1:46:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: pouch