New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 October 2015 10:50:48 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Went to mining museum in Thames.
All the waste ore was dumped into the sea & silted the harbour up. Guess it wasn't economical to dredge, or there was too much silt! Cause they gave up & pulled down the warf.
Another thing is 40% of the gold went straight out with the waste ore!
Some people say it polluted the harbour, river, & estuary. Some want to dredge it up & reprocess the gold out, they claim it will clean up the harbour. But I guess some greens are opposed.

Also apparently they have recently discovered Titanium in one of the richest mines, strange that the miners overlooked that.

I tried a bit of panning & dug deep knowing the gold will settle down low, and I swear they'd put pyrite in there (no gold). I gave it to some children that were there to put in their collection tube.
Got out my pointer & got no indication on their tube. The panning soil was from a coromandel mine & the south island.

Edited by user Tuesday, 6 October 2015 11:10:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 October 2015 8:50:42 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Yes they wanted to dredge the harbour but there were fears of stirring up the sediment which in turn would cause polution problems.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
5AMP  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 October 2015 2:18:13 PM(UTC)
5AMP

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Deleted by user

Edited by user Wednesday, 7 October 2015 2:24:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified