New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 10 October 2015 7:20:56 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Got my GPX secondhand from some bloke in South Island, said it had about 35 hours use. I believe him it looked clean and with little use, he looked to be selling up everything and shifting, also threw in a soil scoop, bag and control box cover.

Sometimes when I twist my body, move, or for no reason at all, but usually if I squat down the noise (hum) jumps by a factor of 10! If I was over a strong target this could be painful. Luckily I also have my volume at minimal (2-4, RX Gain 11, audio normal, Audio Tone 45, stabiliser 10, signal 16, target vol 8, response normal)
It feels as if there is a loose connection somewhere, except I've not been able to reproduce the disturbance, despite much twirling, squatting, arm flailing, cord tugging, jiggling, kneeding.
The effect can happen on normal ground far from the city with not target in area.

I auto tune, air tune, and ground balance regularly, my plugs are clean & screwed in tightly. My battery is at full power & I've not had issues with it.

It is not a major annoyance and the noise often drops back to normal after a moment, and I'm getting used to it.
I do have my cellphone with me, which I could leave at home to see if this makes a difference.
Keys, cellphone etc are kept in pockets on my left shoulder far from detector ( I'm right handed), I'm also tall so coil is kept at a good distance.

I've a spare battery that I could try, another power lead & coil also.
Don't think I'm accidentally pressing the quick ground balance button by accident, or going close to large metal objects.
On one of my nightcrawler runs I could go out in only my black longjohns to totally eliminate any personal interference.

Edited by user Saturday, 10 October 2015 7:23:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 11 October 2015 7:39:40 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
If you're mobile's on it's likely the cause of the interference. If you turn it off or put it in flight mode you'll probably notice the issue go away.

When I had a GPX 4500 I would also get interference from my pin pointer, even if the pin pointer was turned off! I got around the issue by wrapping it in foil.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 16 October 2015 8:42:30 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Ah yes, that might likely be the cause. Especially in these parts where it is sending off & receiving stonger signals from remote towers.

I often keep my mattock & pointer in a bag which I leave at my start or end marking while scan an area, so they are not near me. I'll have to pop cellphone & any other items in that bag too.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46