New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 17 October 2015 11:03:10 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
What favorite tools, spares and extra do you like to take bush with you when dredging to try and make sure your trip isn't cut short?

I'm hoping to spend a bit extra time out in the bush this summer dredging. The few spots I'm probably going to hit are a good hour plus (each way) away from anywhere so I'd figured I'd reach out and see what tips anyone might have.

Obvious items are:
  • Spare nuts & bolts, hose clamps & seals.
  • Duct tape, tie wraps & bungee cords are also pretty handy to have around.
  • A small tool kit.

Edited by user Saturday, 17 October 2015 11:14:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 17 October 2015 11:25:56 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
spear mask for Sure take a snorkel as well, if you have a compressor spear drive belt best iv seen is the ones danny sells expensive but work well, a length of pull cord breaking them in the middle of nowhere is mind bending if you don't have a spear ! good socket set , crescent etc one thing that hasn't happened yet is a fule blockage which is surprising as after a while the crap that builds up inside the tank is an eye opener so I get a big syringe and suck all the water,sand and odd branch out before a trip oil change ,spear oil spark plug
boose & a sack to put all your gold in...good luck
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 17 October 2015 6:06:40 PM(UTC)
gavin

Ah yes, been caught out by the AWOL snorkel before! :P
The Hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 17 October 2015 9:01:16 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Gavin

Tops is a decent first Aid Kit. And if you are on your own hire an emergency locator beacon. One trip on that bank, break an ankle and you are done and dusted. And if you have a Missus give her the co-ords as a backup. You no come home, she get chopper to come find you.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
Jd  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 1:48:59 AM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Hatter Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gavin

Tops is a decent first Aid Kit. And if you are on your own hire an emergency locator beacon. One trip on that bank, break an ankle and you are done and dusted. And if you have a Missus give her the co-ords as a backup. You no come home, she get chopper to come find you.

Hi ya the hatter
Reading this brought back some memories. I went for a quick wander /fossic up linkwater one morning 5 hours treaking up the creeks only to have my dopey dog run in front of me twisting my ankle to the point I couldn't put ay weight on it (oh crap now what) By the time I got back to the car in the dark no torch, noises I had never heard before in the dark my ears were tuned to every twig breaking never under estimate a quick trip Jd

LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 10:50:29 AM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Only take spanners and sockets you need, not full sets... CRC or WD 40 for wet electrics, Gaffer tape, Spare gloves... and mask or snorkel...EPIRB is a good idea.... but hard to reach when you hand is trapped between rocks... so IMO the most important spare to take is extra caution and awareness when dredging alone.
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 4:57:35 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: The Hatter Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gavin

I've taken a few tumbles myself off the beaten track on my own so now have a PLB on me anytime I do a mission. Pretty expensive items, but if I ever need to use it I'm sure it'll seem cheap!
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 9:43:25 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Gavin

I dredged for well over 30 years. Lugged honda 5hp motors with P180, heat exchangers and compressor on. Now paying the price, bad back lol.
Oh but I was young those days and full of vigor. Used a pack frame with a ledge on to hold the motor. If you do that and fall over you cant get back up. A bit like a cast sheep. Best days dregin was 6 ozs. Best 10 days was 32 ounces. I will tell the story one day.

simon  
Posted : Monday, 19 October 2015 8:02:04 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Insect repellant for the end of the day when the insects come out even thicker and you want to get out of your wetsuit!
Lots of glue to repair holes in neoprene.
Sunhat to stop getting burnt. Sunscreen for same as nothing worse than putting tight wetsuit on on sunburn. Bushman is prob the best. def stuff that is really waterproof but remembering to apply when removing wetsuit top as it will all rub off. I remember last summer i was out of action for a while over xmas as i burnt my arm and couldn't be in the water. so went hand sluicing and t-shirt rode up long enough over the day to burn a good strip on my lower back. then couldn't get in wetsuit for a while. tried one day soon after but was murder.
If you have any powered devices or run a little bilge to run cons a solar charger.
A camo tarp to stash your gear under as it is better dry.
A hunters motion activated camera to watch over your gear when you're not about or under water.
Lots of rope.
A hand winch to move boulders.
The list goes on. Guess it depends how much time you're there. There always seems to be something missed. You learn what is essential and what is nice and what is just a luxury. A good checklist and space to lay your gear out pre trip is a must. So many times i've hurried out and found one little thing missing makes the trip a nightmare. the best would be a dropped glove. or a mask with no snorkel lol.
If you have cell coverage a wife is good. can run errands to the shop or garage. good escape for her plus gets those vital supplies you run out of like more beer.
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Monday, 19 October 2015 10:28:34 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A hunter motion activated camera. NO a hunter motion activated with a shot gun , that will stop the shits
and just bring a other dredge easy and go with a mate
Golddigger7  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 October 2015 5:19:31 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Hi Gavin

Do a pre systems check b4 u leave, assemble and disassemble, this will identfy everything you will need to take along and anything you missed. I always carry duct tape and 50mm wide pvc electrical tape, the most wonderful tape on the planet, it will hold torn hoses (non pressure) together, lash frames together where bolts have become loose and dropped in the water, etc etc.

The other essential thet every one seems to have missed, is the anti freeze that you will need to kick start your body in the mornings, I prefer single malt, but you might have some thing else that you prefer. I also take the wife, so that I am kept warm at nights, and have my meals cooked for me, all for the small price of some minor hen pecking.

Regards
GD7
pc5001  
Posted : Saturday, 24 October 2015 11:45:28 AM(UTC)
pc5001

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Gavin,one thing worth keeping an eye on are the rubber sealing rings inside female camlocks.They often fall out and if you dont have a spare...shes all over.Glue them in or carry a few,zip tied to the dredge frame.My dredge is held together with steel rods secured by big rubber bands cut from truck tubes,theyre pretty tough and versatile.Ive welded T handles onto the hose clamps so now need no tools at all. I make sure I tighten any clamps back onto the pipe after Ive taken it off,the other clamps,one on the flare and the one on the jet are both welded on.Got a spare snorkel taped to the frame and a knife. The less there is to lose the better I reckon when youre miles from camp.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 24 October 2015 2:17:15 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
+1 on the seal PC I lost one that screws onto a Keene pump like you said game over 😂.