New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 17 October 2015 11:09:13 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
For my 4" dredge one of the spots I'll be hitting is down quite a steepish gorge. Access is okay, but not the most fun. Anyone got any tips on how to transport a motor safely that might help provide extra protection and / or make it easier to handle?
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 17 October 2015 11:57:57 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Make a frame for it you mite get away with an old alloy pac frame but the engine needs to have a solid base like some thick ply etc...or even better get a chopper by the sounds of it if your carting gear for an hour by the time you get all gears there,s a day gone just getting setup & another day gone bringing it out an R22 will take 4" mini dredge + around 20/40 litters of fule in one trip + all the extra goodies you can slip in makes for good times last time I used one pilot did 6 trips that was for 2 dredges , gears for 2 pluss us dropped in for $650
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 17 October 2015 6:07:57 PM(UTC)
gavin

I must admit that the chopper option is sounding more and more appealing!
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 17 October 2015 7:49:51 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
I got an old pack frame of trademe for $10 it works ok but a copper sounds better
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 2:12:25 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
I got an old pack frame of trademe for $10 it works ok but a copper sounds better

The extra $ is worth it keithy just to get a little further away from you coasters:))
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 10:21:18 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Definitely a frame if you don't have helicopter funds. you could also make up a little stretcher like contraption. great if you have a mate to help. bolt the motor in its cage to it plus you can throw on the fuel can, hoses etc thus making less overall trips. bang on a sledge like base to the stretcher and you can bash it along up down and over and around rocks without destroying too much. also doubles as a stretcher for hauling out the broken bodies lol. a step up, make the stretcher so it can close up to be shorter or longer, or just make it so the handles can be shortened and or removed. the more dynamic it is the more chance you can squeeze it around rock and trees. Some well positioned carabiner points will let you attach ropes to lower it up and down the place too.
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 10:43:03 AM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
For my 4" dredge one of the spots I'll be hitting is down quite a steepish gorge. Access is okay, but not the most fun. Anyone got any tips on how to transport a motor safely that might help provide extra protection and / or make it easier to handle?

Number 8 fencing wire flying fox from a tree at top to a boulder at bottom?
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 12:48:46 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

been thinking about your problem. how bout filling up your pack with helium balloons then motor under put it all on a rope and just walk it down the river.
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 3:58:51 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
been thinking about your problem. how bout filling up your pack with helium balloons then motor under put it all on a rope and just walk it down the river.

but unlike you and your helium balloons.... I have seen the flying fox system successfully work moving stuff down a steep bank... and back up using a rope to pull it back up.

Edited by user Sunday, 18 October 2015 4:00:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 4:54:30 PM(UTC)
gavin

Some very creative ideas getting thrown around - good old kiwi ingenuity eh! :P Number 8 wire flying fox and helium balloons sound fun! Though I'm thinking Simon's sledge idea holds the most promise and least chance of me making the headlines on the news.

Think I'll investigate the sledge idea a bit as a potential solution, but I'm starting to feel the heli option could be the way to go. Save me about 5 hard trips up and down the gorge. Probably take a full day and a lot of effort, would save me paying for a gym membership though.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 7:21:04 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

ive got to admit the flying fox will work . that's how the old timers got their stuff into the top of pell stream. pack horse until the drop off into gilchrist gorge stream.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 26 October 2015 9:13:42 PM(UTC)
gavin

Had a chat with Daniel Gerber of DredgeNZ, he'd used one of these load carriers before and reckoned it was a good solution:

http://www.guncity.com/tatonka-lastenkraxe-load-carrier-243398

Purchased one, so will let you know how I get on if I don't heli-drop in. Figured it's a handy option to have available anyway as backup.
webby1  
Posted : Friday, 30 October 2015 7:47:38 PM(UTC)
webby1

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
hi gav , tuff jet mine will be on the claim over xmas if I can help
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 30 October 2015 8:39:12 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: webby1 Go to Quoted Post
hi gav , tuff jet mine will be on the claim over xmas if I can help

Cheers matey, much appreciated. I'm probably hitting it sometime Feb / Mar at the mo. Figured the river should have best chance of being lower and means I might be able to push further into the center. Fingers crossed! Might have to pop down for a reckie if I know you're around if get some spre time before then. Looking forward to a proper play!
webby1  
Posted : Sunday, 1 November 2015 10:04:53 AM(UTC)
webby1

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
no worries, im hoping to get down there more this summer , jugs always on to fellow fever sufferers , wish I could claim a benefit for my goldfever and go dredging fulltime lol ...