New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Robbo  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 7:25:13 AM(UTC)
Robbo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi guys finally got my goldbug 2 and I got to say what a machine . But it picks up so many hotrocks even with the minirilization on high ??? Is this wrong or right or just a hotrock sport here in around Queenstown ?? Cheers
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 10:13:25 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I've got a GB2. To tell you the truth i've never used the mineralisation knob set to high.
The GB2 will definitely pick up hot rocks yep. the GB2 will pick up the slightest change in mineralisation. even some mineralised soil.
If you try using a GB2 somewhere like the Arrow River or Shotover River you will have a hell of a time, especially in the riverbed as its full of magnetite and various 'hot' rocks.
I have managed to use the GB2 is these place but the GB2's extreme sensitivity will give your ears a real work out. Once you have really got the hang of the machine you can use it is such places full of mineralisation but it can be frustrating for sure. You need to be able to recognise the slightest change in tones, and basically ignore all the signals that sound too good. A good trick is taking a piece of gold to remind yourself what the gold will sound like. A real distinct sounds compared to all the background chatter.
The reality is the Arrow and Shotover are probably best left to the likes of the Minelabs.
A great combinations of detectors in the GB2 and a minelab. GBs provides the super sensitivity for the extremely small and shallow finds, the minelab will provide the depth needed for some locations plus the ability to cover the highly mineralised ground.
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 4:41:27 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I have a GB Pro and have issues with hot rock. I tend to find that big swathes of bedrock / areas are off limits, but a few meters away the ground might be fine. One of my latest favourite creeks I could only detect about 1/2 the bedrock with the GB and couldn't touch the river bed with gravels due to mineralised rocks. Still did pretty well though.
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 18 October 2015 9:33:41 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I've found Aalot of the ground away from the river channels has banded mineralisation around here. so once you can figure which way it runs you can work the clean bits in between where the mineralisation is less or even non existent. sometimes this can be a clue to where slips and movement due to old river channels can be as in those spots the mineralisation can be scattered as floodwaters or ground movement has spread the mineralised material. on a small scale its pretty easy to figure the mineralisation lines. once you start looking more closely you can pick out the mineralised rock, often rusted etc, or has seen more heat in that stretch. some areas are pretty interesting as you can see what heat has been created along the faulting. and in other areas i have bee the ground is dead quiet with nothing there at all. easy stuff to pick up any potential signals. but i think the noisy ground actually offers best reward as not only is it a more likely area around here as it holds all the minerals as is prob near some faulting but its also the ground many people can't be bothered with, a bit like the old mining areas full of rusted items or the bullet covered hillsides.
goldfinger  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 October 2015 7:49:09 AM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 October 2015 2:48:21 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Thanks Goldfinger - I did not know Steve has already reviewed the new Nokta FORS GOLD+

http://www.detectorprosp...-plus-metal-detector.htm

Certainly another positive option for prospecting
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder