New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Thursday, 12 November 2015 11:59:55 AM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Because of walkers I reckon- the people walking there will complain. Gets very annoying.
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 12 November 2015 6:03:53 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
I only got my detector out - I did not dig at the Rugby field. I moved to a different dark location.

Went out last night, hit a library - very promising, but I'll have to work out some cover.
Also tried the edge of a playground - very noisy, dunno if electrical cables or old house site. Some walkers went past.
I moved on, at next location, little noisy but promising - then I see cop car drive past headed down where I was noticed at the play ground.
Though the road is a thoroughfare shortcut.

Moved on again to an even more descrete location - tonnes of rubbish though.
I'm going to get out my Gillies suit & wrap up my detector.
So if you see a moving bush when you're out - call out Pandemic, if I give you a friendly wave - you'll know its me.

I've gone Rogue - planning some very high stakes runs (casing location, security, escape routes, etc) - will let you know it a years time. After time has passed. =)

Edited by user Thursday, 12 November 2015 6:07:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 12 November 2015 6:35:16 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post

I've gone Rogue - planning some very high stakes runs (casing location, security, escape routes, etc) - will let you know it a years time. After time has passed. =)

Not the sort of thing I want to be associated with on a forum. Even if a joke.
NZ detectorists don't need the "Nighthawking" tag, having seen the limits and hostility against UK swingers

I'm out.

HH
MW

Edited by user Thursday, 12 November 2015 7:54:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 12 November 2015 8:37:53 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

The truth is if these historians really cared they would do archaeological digs at all relevant sites, and even employ detectorists.

They don't - they are just as happy for relics to rust to bits.
We are doing more of a service for history. I'm not really into raiding archaeologically significant items - if I found anything relevant I would send it off to the museum with precise dig locations.

They are making an enemy of Detectorists, instead they should have us on their side - so that we can catch those who are making nasty unfilled damaging holes.
In fact it would be good if we had to be registered - and were allowed to be in parks whatever. So we could easily police those bad diggers.
Currenly good & bad are driven into the night.
Detectorists are doing a massive clean up service - also if they put scrap into recycling bids that is a free bonus for our economy.
grubby  
Posted : Thursday, 12 November 2015 9:09:28 PM(UTC)
grubby

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Many Auckland parks are protected for either archaeological, geological or historical reasons. Some parks like the Auckland domain and western springs are protected for all three reasons.
You are allowed to detect in these places but you are NOT allowed to dig. Cornwall park is another such area. I have talked to a couple of Archaeologists on this topic and they assure me that they would love to do PROPER digs at ALL known sites but there is simply not enough time, money or archaeologists to do this work.
If you carry on with your ILLEGAL antics then pretty soon there will be signs up in every park ! NO METAL DETECTING ALLOWED
Don't presume you can dig wherever you want. A call to council or check council web site to find out first.
Please don't ruin this awesome hobby for the rest of us.
You may not be aware but it could be you making an enemy of detectorists.
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Friday, 13 November 2015 8:50:14 AM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

I think we should calm this down, because it is becoming a little out of hand and I think if you have to say something PM would be better. I'm out of this conversation.
Fisher F22

grubby  
Posted : Friday, 13 November 2015 8:29:12 PM(UTC)
grubby

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)
A couple of years ago I tried to organise a group hunt in Auckland at cornwall park. It was quickly pointed out to me by a respected member of this forum that cornwall park was a protected area and therefore no digging was permitted. I was very grateful for that information and have made sure from that moment that I am not breaking any laws whilst doing my hobby.
If anybody thinks my last post was " out of hand", then I appologise for my concern about the future of metal detecting in Auckland parks.
As for using the PM option.... I feel that one of the purposes of this forum is to SHARE information for the benefit of all.
This will be my last post on this thread.
Happy swinging everyone.
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Saturday, 14 November 2015 2:42:36 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Not what I was meaning. this is a public forum and I did not like where this was heading. I'm no longer reading this.

Edited by user Saturday, 14 November 2015 6:16:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Extreme caution must be taken when having hot food

Fisher F22

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 15 November 2015 10:34:46 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Council sanctioned LEGAL damage to sports field:
UserPostedImage

(Close up) Suppose they'll just leave this for the poor grounds keeper to fix over the hot summer.
UserPostedImage

I've decided to water any digs I do, to further help prevent any turf damage - this may also require pre watering days before a dig on dry locations.
WestieDigger  
Posted : Monday, 16 November 2015 7:06:10 PM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)

Edited by user Monday, 16 November 2015 7:19:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
2 Pages<12