New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Monday, 12 September 2011 7:42:05 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Very pleased - my Minelab GPX 4500 turned up today. I'm a little intimidated though - there's so many settings you can play with and a choice of coils. Think it's going to take some practice to master!

I'll be seeking out a dummies guide to the Minelab GPX 4500! :P

There's the choice of a double D coil and a mono coil so I'll have to figure out what's good for what.

Ok, better switch the brain back on - been a while since I've had to do some study! :P
digahole  
Posted : Monday, 12 September 2011 7:52:43 PM(UTC)
digahole

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Gavin, yep it is a bit of a learning curve!!! I'd be happy to meet up with you, to show you the few things I've worked out using mine, if your interested.

03 9808288

Nat
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 12 September 2011 8:08:46 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Being more of a 1960s relic dredging era I was always dubious of metal detectors - Got the best Garrett that money could buy though in 1980 or 1981 and headed for the hills - after ten to twenty seconds of finding nothing I then relegated the thing to A & P Showgrounds, Playgrounds, Picnic grounds, Beaches and Race Tracks where I did do extemely well. When I took a friend to the gold claim we had at the time with his Minelab 1700 and he found a small nugget I was sold and bought the best Minelab money could buy - the new Minelab Extreme - ten or twenty seconds of failure in the hills and it got put away never to be used again for ten years - last year my son asked once again for the ten thousandth time if he could use it - hes never looked back and is quickly beep, beeping his way to success.

If you are like my son Gavin then I have no doubt that you will love the device, get used to it fairly quickly and will do well in the hills and along the rivers - good luck but dont be like me and expect instant success!
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 12 September 2011 10:57:58 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: digahole Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gavin, yep it is a bit of a learning curve!!! I'd be happy to meet up with you, to show you the few things I've worked out using mine, if your interested.

03 9808288

Nat

Cheers Nat - I'll take you up on that after I've read through all the instructions - much appreciated :)

@Lammerlaw - I know what you mean, I've been using my coin detector looking for gold and was expecting a bit more success than I experienced. My main issue has been mineralised ground in most areas I've visited and I believe the Minelab is supposed to cope with this a lot better. I'll try and keep my expectations low though! :P
exkiwi123  
Posted : Saturday, 17 September 2011 11:49:50 AM(UTC)
exkiwi123

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
minelab 4500// hi gavin see you have bought a 4500 is it new or2nd hand you can get a dvd by aguy named johnon porter re // //seta program // he willexplane allthe info on how to set allcontrols and timing s seta stands for // smart electronic timing alignment // covers ferrous discrimination// pre progammed search modes //stabilzer controls // he can be foundon this form GOLD DETECTING@ PROSPECTING FORUM hope this helps in some way exkiwi123
gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 17 September 2011 12:50:20 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Hi Gavin,

I'll be really interested to see and/or hear how you get on with the 4500 when you take it for a walk. I've got an X-terra 705 on its way over to NZ from the States to keep me amused until I decide whether or not I should splash out on something a little more sophisticated.
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 17 September 2011 4:16:28 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gavin,

I'll be really interested to see and/or hear how you get on with the 4500 when you take it for a walk. I've got an X-terra 705 on its way over to NZ from the States to keep me amused until I decide whether or not I should splash out on something a little more sophisticated.

No worries, will do ;) I've only tried it outside the house so far and it just goes crazy with non-stop signals / noise. Apparently it needs to be 200 - 300 m away from any interference e.g. powerlines I've been told. Will get it down the beach this weekend for a play. Hoping to get hold of digahole / Nat for some tips too but not managed to get him in yet.

I'm about to sit down and have a read of the manual now. I hate boring manuals, but I think I need to need to read this one! :P
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 18 September 2011 10:39:28 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
G'day Gav, Check this out from JP. Click on the video footage. It is a great DVD. All Jp's DVD's are. Certainly worth there weight in gold. http://www.aurumaustrali...s/outbackprospector.html

Good luck

JW :)
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 18 September 2011 4:56:55 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers JW - much appreciated :)

It came with the first DVD - The SETA Project, but I look forward to watching the others too for more tips.

Took the detector down the beach and woods for a quick play today. Relieved to get the thing working ok. Just too much interference around my house to practise. Was a bit worried in case it had got damaged in transit and that's why it was making so much noise! Thankfully not :)
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 18 September 2011 6:37:00 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Gav, Yep built up areas have too much EMI (electrical magnetic interference) If you have the Seta project you will learn heaps from that as it is for the 4500 but you are right, you will pick up a heap of tips from his other DVD's as well. Techniques etc. Look forward to how you do. Good luck.

Regards

John :)
digahole  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 September 2011 9:45:01 AM(UTC)
digahole

hi Gav, if your detecting around urban areas with lots of emi, use a dd coil, there is a switch on front of the control box (the one facing away from you) it has 3 settings dd, mono and cancel, flick it to cancel before you turn the detector on, then do the rest as normal.
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 September 2011 10:20:28 AM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers Nat, funny enough just read that section of the manual last night that advised the same thing.

Didn't have much luck ringing you at the weekend. Fancy a catch-up one evening this week? No worries if busy. Would be keen to hear some tips 1st hand and also see if you'd be keen on a mission or two.
digahole  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 September 2011 9:01:19 PM(UTC)
digahole

Hi Gavin, I'm home tonight and tomorrow night, give me a call, thurs this week is best for me after 7:30, mornings possible also.

Nat
GPX@DREDGE  
Posted : Sunday, 25 September 2011 9:20:58 PM(UTC)
GPX@DREDGE

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
HI GAVIN I GOT MY NEW GPX4500 FROM ALASKA A FEW WEEKS BACK.I USED TO HAVE A GPX4000 ABOUT TWO YEARS BACK BUT SOLD IT WHEN I BOUGHT MY HOUSE.ALWAYS REGRETTED IT. THEY CAN BE ABIT MUCH TO TAKE IN WITH ALL THOSE SETTINGS BUT DO PERAVERE WITH IT. IVE SPENT ALOT OF TIME OUT WITH MINE OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS FINDING NOTHING AT ALL BUT LIKE MY LAST GPX4000 I KNOW TO KEEP LOOKING AND JUST THIS WEEKEND I GOT LUCKY AND FOUND A GOOD SPOT WOULD YOU BELEAVE I HAD DRIVEN OVER THE SPOT LOTS OF TIMES OVER THE YEARS IN THREE HOURS I FOUND 7 GRAMS ONE PEICE 5.9 GRAMS ON A DIRT ROAD. I HAD TO STOP DIGGING TO LET THE 4X4 COME THROUGH THEY STOP AND LOOK AT ME FUNNY AND ASK IF I GOT ANYTHING OF CAUSE I ALWAYS SAY NO DONT BE SILLY.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 26 September 2011 8:06:07 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: GPX@DREDGE Go to Quoted Post
HI GAVIN I GOT MY NEW GPX4500 FROM ALASKA A FEW WEEKS BACK.I USED TO HAVE A GPX4000 ABOUT TWO YEARS BACK BUT SOLD IT WHEN I BOUGHT MY HOUSE.ALWAYS REGRETTED IT. THEY CAN BE ABIT MUCH TO TAKE IN WITH ALL THOSE SETTINGS BUT DO PERAVERE WITH IT. IVE SPENT ALOT OF TIME OUT WITH MINE OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS FINDING NOTHING AT ALL BUT LIKE MY LAST GPX4000 I KNOW TO KEEP LOOKING AND JUST THIS WEEKEND I GOT LUCKY AND FOUND A GOOD SPOT WOULD YOU BELEAVE I HAD DRIVEN OVER THE SPOT LOTS OF TIMES OVER THE YEARS IN THREE HOURS I FOUND 7 GRAMS ONE PEICE 5.9 GRAMS ON A DIRT ROAD. I HAD TO STOP DIGGING TO LET THE 4X4 COME THROUGH THEY STOP AND LOOK AT ME FUNNY AND ASK IF I GOT ANYTHING OF CAUSE I ALWAYS SAY NO DONT BE SILLY.

Thanks for the words of encouragement - much appreciated. I'm actually chomping at the bit to get out there and have a proper look for gold. Put it off this weekend just gone as was looking a bit wet over west, but I'm hoping it's all good to go this weekend! If I'm going to make the long drive I want to make sure I'm going to get some decent detecting time in.

Funny that you were finding gold right on the track itself. I'm always trying to thing of how best to get in to the arse end of nowhere to go looking. Digger showed me his Hennessy Hammock the other day which has got my mind thinking about deeper bush missions :P Good to keep in mind that it's not always in hard to reach spots!
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 26 September 2011 10:23:59 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Nice work gpxdredge 5.9 grams is a decent sized slug! Makes you wonder where the gravel for the road came from
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
simon  
Posted : Monday, 26 September 2011 10:27:17 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
interesting that you found gold on a track. i say this because so many people would laugh at such. if you think about it a lot of tracks, whether a simple miner's trail or something bigger, are bulldozed or hand dug into the land. a hell of a lot of digging when you compare it to what you would do on a day's gold hunt. such cuttings allow a "window" like view into the make up of the ground, ie. they might show faulting, schist veins etc. when the track was made no one was waving a detector about that's for sure. thus making tracks a perfect place to detect (and use to access places of course).

i know what everyone will say - tracks will be covered in human metals (bullets, pieces of vehicles, old chocolate wrappers with the foil, etc. very true. but like elsewhere this should just be a hindrance. if you dig all those targets you never know what you will find.

i'm always amazed when people tell me i'm wasting my time digging such as i get told someone else will have detected there before. maybe they have. maybe they missed something. maybe their detector was inferior to yours, or maybe you know how to use your detector better and can find what others with the same detector have missed. all factors to consider.

i always consider getting right away to the farthest reaches i can but at the end of the day most people don't have the time to get there too often (which is why it is considered higher chances to find gold also obviously). good finds can be made anywhere. as they say, gold is where you find it.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 26 September 2011 10:37:21 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
interesting that you found gold on a track. i say this because so many people would laugh at such. if you think about it a lot of tracks, whether a simple miner's trail or something bigger, are bulldozed or hand dug into the land. a hell of a lot of digging when you compare it to what you would do on a day's gold hunt. such cuttings allow a "window" like view into the make up of the ground, ie. they might show faulting, schist veins etc. when the track was made no one was waving a detector about that's for sure. thus making tracks a perfect place to detect (and use to access places of course).

i know what everyone will say - tracks will be covered in human metals (bullets, pieces of vehicles, old chocolate wrappers with the foil, etc. very true. but like elsewhere this should just be a hindrance. if you dig all those targets you never know what you will find.

i'm always amazed when people tell me i'm wasting my time digging such as i get told someone else will have detected there before. maybe they have. maybe they missed something. maybe their detector was inferior to yours, or maybe you know how to use your detector better and can find what others with the same detector have missed. all factors to consider.

i always consider getting right away to the farthest reaches i can but at the end of the day most people don't have the time to get there too often (which is why it is considered higher chances to find gold also obviously). good finds can be made anywhere. as they say, gold is where you find it.

Back around 1975 I was visiting elderly friends in Waimate who had a gold claim in Central. One day in autumn they went for a walk along a certain track near Queenstown and were commenting about the golden leaves on the track and wouldnt it be nice if it was real gold. There were four of them and a short time later one of their number did indeed pick up a rather nice gold nugget n the track...mere coincidence but it happened. I remember commenting at its size as it was, from memory about two to three pennyweight.