New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 15 November 2015 10:36:55 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Headed out to a bit of bush today, thinking it should be easy finding targets (hahaha). The park caretakers are happy to cover over walking tracks, but don't seem to care when people dump loads of rubbish in there.
Dug about 10 holes, found the old walking path (almost want to restore it to spite them - like elves in the night).
Got a belt buckle, lead roofing nail end, large iron chain 40cm deep that I didn't bother trying to get out, then near the edge in a shallow dig I got real lucky.
I've only been doing this haphazardly, as I don't feel super comfortable out during the day. Put in 20 hours on beaches to mostly disapointment (got some scrap copper - though someone here already takes care of the Mount, unknown to me).
Till now my best find was $1, and that's what I though this was initially.

I swore with delight when I realised it was a ring - even before I'd ascertained its value.

UserPostedImage

It's a lady's ring, only fits on my little finger (I don't have the burliest of hands either).
Feels heavy enough, appears to be 24 carat, has some wearing of the etching design on one side (you can see the unworn side in photo).
The main face is plain, and there are no markings or engravings.
Its a very thin ring (possibly due to wear - gold will completely wear away with 24 carat wedding rings) & is fractured at the base.
The fracture is still a little dirty for me to see if it is pure right the way through.
Haven't had a chance to clean it completely yet, as I'm out detecting tonight aswell.

Mudwiggle was right, follow the condom packets to the loot.

I'll be heading back to thoroughly detect this location, and I plan to remove all the bottles, tyres, and other micellaneous rubbish to a large pile beside the road. Any recyclable metals I'll be adding to my collection so I can get a few $ back for detecting efforts.
You wouldn't believe how many prominent parks are in a similar situation. And don't get me started on the possum population - who are happy to come down to the ground in the Domain to eat acorns! Once chased one with a hammer through newmarket (it was the only weapon I had handy).

Edited by user Sunday, 15 November 2015 10:40:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Erickd  
Posted : Sunday, 15 November 2015 11:58:28 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Nice score, looks old
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 16 November 2015 12:29:12 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Yeah? I was just going to melt it down.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 16 November 2015 9:22:46 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Stayed out all night, dug four shallow holes for 2 large nails, 1 hairclip (happy that my detector picked that up), and a Tui bottle cap. Then dug two 30cm deep holes - but pointer coulding find anything. Gave up as there were many deep targets - all found with an 8"mono.
Moved to 3 other locations, raining nicely - gave me a bit more cover. But I was tired, and thought there might be shallow goodies at the next location.
In the future I'm going to just stay at one location & dig a few deep targets. Sovereigns & Crowns are calling to me from their graves.

Funny thing about this ring is it was one of the first things I detected but wasn't carrying my trowel at the time to just scraped at it a bit with a stick, then it was the last target I dug up as light was fading.

UserPostedImage
(I'll add the weight & dimensions in a bit).

On close inspection I can see that the face is a shield & it used to have an engraving.
Since it is quite worn, jeweler & hallmark probably wore off too.
Research suggests it could be Australian 1850-1890, from Colonial mining era.
Here is an example of a very similar ring (this is a mens):
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, 16 November 2015 10:16:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Monday, 16 November 2015 12:19:39 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Congratulations! Seems like an awesome find. What's the carat?
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 16 November 2015 7:37:44 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

The weight is 5g, its about 2cm diameter.
I've yet to calculate its purity - will do shortly.

I've seen similar rings selling on Trademe & Ebay for upto $1300
This one is worn but has the history, appears to be original, and may have lain in the patch for 50+ years.
I might sell it, after I get some nuggets and lose my centimental feelings for it, I love that it could have come from the gold rush times.

Edited by user Monday, 16 November 2015 7:39:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 November 2015 6:55:18 AM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

I dont reckon you should sell it- it's got some real history behind it and unlike a penny or silver you are almost definitely never going to find such a unique find. The choice is yours however, so I shouldn't get too judgy.
Fisher F22

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 22 November 2015 2:08:01 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Done a bit more research.
There was a man working the area who's father came to New Zealand around the time of the gold rushes.
This man was also a friend of W. Crowther who travelled from UK to Australia then to Otago for the gold rushes (perhaps his father was also a friend of this man).
UserPostedImage
I'll try and get some more information on these three men (if I could get a photo with one of them wearing the ring that would be amazing).
If it is the man in question, I believe the ring was dropped around 1930. So has been in the shallow grave for 85ish years.

I now believe the ring was worn on the little finger of a man.
This would explain:
- the careless loss (fell off while working).
- the extra wear on one side of the ring, and extensive wear of a finely detailed valueable ring.
- the break at the bottom (via holding something heavy or clenching tightly).

Found a photo of a rugby player circa 1900 wearing gold ring on little finger.

Edited by user Wednesday, 25 November 2015 4:03:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Sunday, 22 November 2015 10:23:45 AM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Awesome! Would look nice on top of a pile of gold nuggets....
Fisher F22