New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

TaurangaDetector  
Posted : Friday, 1 January 2016 2:25:27 PM(UTC)
TaurangaDetector

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 31 post(s)
These are the totals from the last two hunts with the ctx:

Hunt #1:
In The Salt Water,

Finds:
Silver ring,
$7,
penny + halfpenny,
Old Decimal Coins.

After we scored the 9ct white gold ring, we just had to go back to the same place and have another crack, we decided to detect slightly further out this time, hoping for jewellery that had been dropped while swimming. We detected for a few hours and didn't get a single good target, so we decided to move in closer to the shore; signals were abundant here and after a while, we managed to score a silver ring. It must have been in the tide for a while, as it was green, grey and red. We weren't even sure it was silver until we took it home and polished it. We then moved to a different location, where we managed to hook out a few coins.

Hunt #1

Hunt #2:
Mount Beach On New Year's day,

Finds:
Sunglasses,
$21.40,
Costume jewellery,
4 silver rings,
Car Key,
Adidas Watch,
iPhone 5s,
Sony Xperia Z3,

Every year, after the New Year's eve parties are over, we swing the coil at mount beach. In the past, we have found silver jewellery and coins, but we've never had a hunt like this before:

The hunt started with a hiss and a roar, as we started finding coins, jewellery and broken sunglasses, but it only got better as the detector found silver, an iPhone and a sony xperia z3! We were consistently finding jewellery and coins as more detectorists started to flood in, but it slowed down as we began to cover ground that had already been detected. We finished the day after five and a half hours with over 70 finds and $2,000 worth of technology. After the hunt, the phones were returned to their owners for a cool reward of $20.00 each.

All in all, we finished on a high, finding our first 4 silvers for the year in one day.

UserPostedImage

Phones!
Silver coins - 49
Silver Jewellery - 18
Gold Jewellery - 1
Item Recoveries - 3
ctx3030 & AT Pro-Pointer
WestieDigger  
Posted : Friday, 1 January 2016 5:02:13 PM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)
I notice that you are pulling out a lot of modern steel core spendies. I am getting a lot less of those with the ctx3030 than I used to get with the euroace. I don't mind as chasing cruddy 10c used to take up a lot of time but I do wonder what programe you are using?
2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
TaurangaDetector  
Posted : Friday, 1 January 2016 8:05:52 PM(UTC)
TaurangaDetector

Man
New Zealand

Hi WestieDigger,
The program that we use on the beach is beach mode with target trace and target trace pinpoint on. Depending on the junk level, we either use recovery fast and high trash or recovery deep and low trash. We use pitch hold. We hunt beaches with auto sensitivity.

In dry sand, we dig every signal and hunt in all metal.
In wet sand/water, we only dig signals with ferrous lower than 13 and conductivity higher than 15.
It is easy for us to dig all signals as we are a two person group with a sand scoop and pinpointer.

If we are hunting parks, we dig the same signals as wet sand and hunt in coins or silver mode with discrimination. We use manual sensitivity and adapt our target sep and recovery deep/fast to the present conditions.

Hope This Helps,
TaurangaDetector.
Silver coins - 49
Silver Jewellery - 18
Gold Jewellery - 1
Item Recoveries - 3
ctx3030 & AT Pro-Pointer
TaurangaDetector  
Posted : Saturday, 2 January 2016 3:23:16 PM(UTC)
TaurangaDetector

Man
New Zealand

An update on the car key, was returned to rightful owner via the police station.

Silver coins - 49
Silver Jewellery - 18
Gold Jewellery - 1
Item Recoveries - 3
ctx3030 & AT Pro-Pointer