New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Goldflinger  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 2:40:27 PM(UTC)
Goldflinger

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I'd like to start a thread for 'proper and safe' cleaning and preservation techniques for various metals, and any leather etc that may be associated with finds (such as wood handles on penknives).

I'd like to avoid the quick and dirty methods, such as the Tinfoil "trick" for silver. Tried that on my first silver thruppence and it stripped most of the detail off it! Lesson learned.

Each method would ideally have some validation with a link back to a reputable source, such as a museum or collectors page.

Also tips such as don't store metal A touching metal B are welcomed.

So, to kick off, here's what sowed the seed for this thread.

METALS (Primarily ferrous)
An excellent gentle, rust destroyer can be made from molasses, obtained from your local farm store, cheap and easy. About a cup of molasses to ten litres of water put in a plastic container with a good fitting lid - if your object is larger then you will have to find a bigger container and use more liquid. Warning: your neighbours pets will find the smell irresistable - unlike the neighbours themselves! Keep it covered and outside! Depending on the amount of rust it will take from a few weeks to a month or more to convert, when done you simply wash in clean water and leave to dry. The molasses creates a coating which will prevent further rusting and can be painted over with a good primer/paint system. It will not affect the original sound paint or other metals, and is quite good for cleaning up nickel and brass which has bad verdigris (greening) these include stirrups, bits, buckles etc.

LEATHER
For very grubby gear a careful wash with sunlight soap and lukewarm water is good. Avoid over soaking and excessive scrubbing as this will damage the leather surface.... Most saddle soaps contain glycerine which help preserve and soften leather. Glycerine also encourages mould growth and its use is to be avoided if leather is going to be stored for any length of time. NEVER use household cleaners or silicone products on leather.

Source: Nth Auck Mounted Rifles Association
Pilot of a Mighty AT Pro - "Gold Flinger"
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 3:16:48 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Yes, Alumium (sic; a much better term than Aluminium[Brit] or Aluminum[USA]) should not touch other metals as they cause it to corrode.

Some things can cause Silver to corrode, rubber is one thing you should keep away from silver.
I do not mind the tarnished look of silver. I've used the foil method, it makes the silver shine a little (and this treatment should only be performed for a couple of minutes), rubber corrosion did not come up much better and probably could have been polished off. Polishing can help, though you will be removing some of the silver when this is done, and with silver plating that is NOT a good idea as you will end up with two colour layers as you rub though into the base metal underneath. If there are engravings or fine detail then polishing can also wear them away.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 3:21:08 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Bronze disease on pennies is contagious and will spread (one argument not to chuck them all into the same box)

As a lab rat, I make up Sodium Sesquicarbonate for treatment (museum method) but for those who lack access to such wonderful compounds, here's a link to a kitchen chemistry version (basically the same stuff).
Bronze Disease Treatment

Due to corrosive nature of the disease, you will end up with some pitting on the coin - note this was already there as a result of the green death, but would only get worse with time unless treated.

Reminds me, Must go through and recheck my bronzes.

Freezing is another one, soak coin (or whatever) for a few hours, chuck it in the freezer overnight, light scrub with your wifes toothbrush, then resoak and refreeze. Repeat several times or until wife complains about using her toothbrush.

I did have something in my display cabinet that left an evil black ooze, can't remember what it was though but was likely a junk chain or similar from the beach.

Good idea for a thread, having also rooted my first big silver (early 1900's Oz florin) trying to "clean" it!
coinnut  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 5:09:08 PM(UTC)
coinnut

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
The tin foil thing can be useful but only if used lightly & not rubbed on the coin. Its basically only good for cleaning the high points.

Those of you who have tin foil ruined coins try heating the coin & rubbing the hell out of it with a rough towel/tea towel, theres a layer of foil on your coin making it look like crap.
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 7:11:28 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: coinnut Go to Quoted Post
Those of you who have tin foil ruined coins try heating the coin & rubbing the hell out of it with a rough towel/tea towel, theres a layer of foil on your coin making it look like crap.

Not with my one - all the detail was preserved in the sulphide layer, and disappeared with it.
It's just a 'plain' silver disc. Shiny, but bald :)

I generally leave my silvers dark now (or at least minimal degunking)

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 4 January 2016 8:37:52 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
When I was referring to the tinfoil method for cleaning silver, I meant with bicarbinate soda and tin foil in a heated saucepan - the silver oxide sticks to the tinfoil, provided the foil is touching the silver at some point. Some sort of chemical electrolysis. Never involving friction or polishing. And when I was referring to polishing, I meant with a rag.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 11:32:08 AM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Great thread, my tips are as follows:
I see a lot of detectorists on YouTube say to soak coins in vinegar. DO NOT TRY THIS. The coin will go green, and then the coin will smell.
Also, I tried soaking rusty artefacts in coca cola, and it works, but only to a certain extent.
My recommendation for rusty items is electrolysis. Here is a video on how to set this up : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9C8fW2Mz0g
And for nickel coins such as decimals and Australian current coins, my best solution is putting them inside a plastic bottle (hardened) and shaking it. For some reason this works. But that's all I know about. I have only been detecting for about two years, and luck is only with me on relics. So I am no expert on cleaning coins.
Anyways, I feel this thread will help many detectorists on this site and it was a brilliant idea. :) GL and HH
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 11:48:04 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Coca Cola cleaning is merely using the acids contained in it which is why it's quite good for gentle cleaning.
The acid is phosphoric (common food acid) which is the same as used in rust-killer and metal treatments.

Tip with electrolysis: Use low amps for small items, or gentle cleaning, more amps for less fragile items or initial heavy de-gunking.
It's also line-of-sight. meaning only parts facing the electrode will be cleaned. Use multiple electrodes, or use an opened up can so it wraps around the item being treated.

Also, if you dig up rusty iron item, keep it in the state it came out of the ground (wet usually) and bagged until ready to treat otherwise the corrosion will soon be accelerated by exposure to air.
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 12:53:39 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

All about electrolysis is explained in the video.
And coca cola also uses sugars, which is why coca cola zero has little or no effect. I am no science expert, but I think coca cola isn't always reliable. It tried it with my fire arm and it merely removed the outer layer. (P.S, the gun was NOT loaded and it was a pellet pistol.)
Fisher F22

number8wire  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 4:20:45 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
A little surprised no one has mentioned cloudy ammonia for cleaning up your silvers. I soak them for around half an hour, then lightly brush off the excess dirt and grime with a soft toothbrush. This technique seems not to damage the coin in any way and retains original lustre on old coins that have had very little circulation. I'm sure coin collectors who collect for profit would not approve of this method but for those of us who collect what we find purely for the pleasure of having a great looking coin collection, I guess this won't matter.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 10:05:15 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Yeah, the thing being is that it's a very well known technique.
If you guys are really fascinated, check out this channel: https://m.youtube.com/ch...UCv61IAZLDELwk2Kk5hfX0mg
He is a very famous detectorists and often makes videos on cleaning relics. I'm sure you all would have heard of him.
He has a playlist about cleaning, etc.
Fisher F22