New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 10:58:28 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Tested to 1.5m (for 8 hours) without tiedown straps, further testing will be done when I find deeper water.
Not planning on going below 10m as this is the limit of my earbuds.

Haven't copied anyone else's design, as I've not seen this done for GPX in my net searches.
Though I ended up using Plano boxes that another person used, apparently they leak on the corners and this is the reason I added the tiedown straps.
Probably spend 95% of my time in freshwater, however the metal rods in hinges have slightly rusted & expect the tiedown clamps to rust - especially in the South Island wet.
Guess I'll have to replace the metal at some point, anyone know of a metal that doesn't corrode, anyone...?

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, 17 April 2016 9:26:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 1:07:44 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
... anyone know of a metal that doesn't corrode?

Hmm...Stainless?
Or if you want to stand out from the crowd - gold :)

Why not take the empty boxes for a bomb down to 10m to check them out? You don't have to go with them, just find a deep hole and tie them onto a bit of cord with a suitable weight to take them down.

Or leave them at 5m overnight, that'll tell you if the seals are good. Bear in mind, even the smallest grain of sand, or in my case, a dog hair, will compromise the seal and it's all over.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 1:57:29 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

I think the hinges might be stainless, it still rusts... slowly.
Hopefully I can get a bit of Platinum down at Orepuke, gold I fear will be too maleable for use as a hinge or forces on the tiedown clamp.

Yeah, I just have to find a place that has a bit of a drop off or jetty around here.

Good thing about the rubber seals on the Plano boxes is they can be removed. And although everything sticks to dry rubber, nothing sticks to wet rubber, water mostly beads off, what remains can mostly be shaken off.

I'll make sure I carefully inspect my screw in cord seals for grit though.
I also have a 100dB water alarm in each box.
Cheers
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 2:16:41 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

What about the good old wads of kitchen towel/bog roll?
They work well for catching any stray water before it goes anywhere it shouldn't and give clear visual as to whether any has been sucked up.
Work well on the kayak which takes high pressure wave breaks etc.

In fact,
Just remembered a method which worked well for decades on my underwater antique - This isn't my one, but why faff with taking a photo when you can hotlink :)
Siluro Camera
Have a nosey top centre above the lens. Yep - That's a bicycle valve!

You just closed the cam up, gave it a couple of pumps and headed into the deep blue.
BIG, big advantage was that if any seals were compromised, they alerted you early by the small stream of bubbles and you could get back on the boat and sort it.
Get some slight positive pressure in those boxes and you have a handful of aces up your sleeve to prevent the smarts inside from drowning.

You'll need some solid mental conditioning to avoid embolism and not roar to the surface from even 3m if that alarm goes though.

Good luck with the hunt, you deserve some glitter with the work you've done towards this.

MW
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 4:43:40 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Not sure paper towel would work in the Wet West Coast - it would probably suck moisture out of the air, whenever I opened the case.
I need to open the case to turn detector on & adjust any settings.

There is some air in the boxes. So I'll keep an eye out for bubbles when I'm under.
That's a good tip, thanks.

You reckon I'd get an embolism from 3 metres ascent?
Yikes! I'd better do some more research on decompressing.

I'd probably throw glitter back - fine stuff is too fiddly!

Edited by user Sunday, 10 January 2016 4:45:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 5:44:41 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Holding your breath on ascent will pop you at only 3m.
Then there's the effect of diving at altitude...Anything above 300m asl is altitude diving.
Then some hazards with repeat dives in a short period of time...Or solo diving in rivers with currents, debris, low vis, remote location
Other than that, you should be fine.

The air in the boxes will be the same pressure as the surface of the water, as soon as you go below, then the water pressure will start acting on the seals. Charging with a small amount of pressure will give you much greater depth before the seals balance against the water pressure and actually have to start working to keep water out.

The paper towel is more to catch any free water that makes it's way in and stop it running around rather than 'dehumidify' the air.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 8:21:02 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

I know about clearing my ears every 3m of depth.

Thanks for that tip on diving at altitude - I'll do some research on that. Also gives me some ideas about gold hunting.

Hahaha, I'll be staying away from serious currents.
I've a torch. Pretty cautious, also know to check for debris and won't be going near any treefalls.
I'm debating taking a knife or wire cutters - just in case some line/net entangles me, what do you think?

Ohhh, I get you now. I wonder how pumping some pressure in there could be done on my own in a remote location - I have a portable pedal generator capable of 12V DC, if that helps?

Yeah, I might get a kitchen cleaning sponge, would also provide a bit of padding.

Cheers
I'm absorbing all these tips.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 8:32:53 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Quote:
I'm debating taking a knife or wire cutters - just in case some line/net entangles me, what do you think?

Def take a knife, with line cutter groove. Pro-Dive do some reasonable mini-knives with locking sheath.

Quote:
Ohhh, I get you now. I wonder how pumping some pressure in there could be done on my own in a remote location

http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/merida-mini-plastic-pump.html and scavenge a couple of bike valves from an unattended bike :)

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 5 February 2016 11:40:34 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Found a nice low profile valve for Alloy wheels.
UserPostedImage

Comes with a neat little screw cap.
UserPostedImage

Drill jammed in hole, head came completely off and slightly damaged my Plano box.
Hole is slightly larger than it needs to be - hope it's okay.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 11 April 2016 11:14:55 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

I'm experimenting with trying to corrode Silicon Bronze, and Brass pins for the hinges. To replace the rusting Stainless Steel Hinges.
UserPostedImage