New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

mwyatt  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 January 2016 12:30:08 AM(UTC)
mwyatt

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I've been doing some research on possible alluvial gold bearing rivers in the Coromandel and I've found the following:

Gold for the Taking book
A small alluvial field is bounded by the creeks of Whangarahi and its tributaries, Kapanga, Tiki and Matawai branches of the Waiau River; the Tokatea River. Also if you look on the http://www.topomap.co.nz/ at Matawai stream you see probably 9 abandoned mine all over the stream as well as on top of the hill

Unfortunately, most of this land is in private ownership, probably a forestry company as I can see plantations on google earth. Also the road leading into the area has a locked gate visible on street view. Maybe a member living in the Coro can shed some more light into the situation around the area.

Report of Geological Exploration (1870) by James Hughes

• Kapanga & Driving Creek - Thoroughly worked for alluvial gold.
  • Matawai Stream - 11 old mines / Matawai Fault. The creek is skirted by patches of coarse red gravel, containing coarse gold. The gold has been traced in these gravels for about two miles, to were a branch creek joins the stream from the north. No trace of gold has been found in the other, or south branch, which rises near Castle Rock.
  • Pukewau Creek - a limit patch of alluvial gold found in blind gully, cut into decomposed slates.
  • Kennedy bay - alluvial washings in the bed of a creek leading from near the Whangapoa diggings.

I thought the Matawai creek area's look really promising from a research perspective.