New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

ElCrazy  
Posted : Monday, 14 March 2016 5:47:33 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi All,

I've been thinking about possibly applying for what I think is called a "Prospecting permit" from the official government peoples.

The area I am interested in is unclaimed etc. I really don't want to be a commercial miner, am just keen hobbyist, well very keen hobbyist, but want to actually go away from the public areas.

It seems like if Doc found me even with a hand sluice, crevicing tools and pan, I'd get into trouble. So thinking that maybe worth the $3.58 per sq k, so I can play legally. I could let my mates also participate in the prospecting, so could spread the costs a little and probably 50 square kms would be more than enough lol.

So basically from what I see the fees are doable and if I limit the square kms managable.
http://www.nzpam.govt.nz...lties/annual-permit-fees

Really wanted some advice from the wise folks who read the forum.

Are the govt peoples only granting these to people who are serious about following through with commercial mining?

Are there hidden fees? costs?

I don't want to waste my time. I could probably fill in the forms pretty well. But would I have a chance of actually getting a permit? Would make a fun bit of prospecting legit.

postscript: Hmm looks like one also needs a "Minimum impact activity consent" from DOC on top of the permit for another $500 8-(

All and any advice appreciated.
cheers

Edited by user Monday, 14 March 2016 5:54:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 14 March 2016 7:21:03 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
afraid u will be looking at a lot more than $3.58 per sq km to get to the stage that you can go sluicing or panning. costs run in to many thousands of $

Edited by user Monday, 14 March 2016 7:23:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2016 6:57:14 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nafcd Go to Quoted Post
afraid u will be looking at a lot more than $3.58 per sq km to get to the stage that you can go sluicing or panning. costs run in to many thousands of $

Is this statement based on some kind of experience? Obviously there are the actual permit fees to apply for a prospecting permit which are around $2500 from memory. Also I think there is a minimum size limit. If there is conservation land you will need an agreement with doc to do any digging on their land. When you apply for the permit with crow minerals you will need to have a work program and some deliverables outlined.

Essentially a prospecting permit is not a "prospecting" or "fossicking" permission to have a play. It's a step in the process of looking for a new deposit.

Edited by user Tuesday, 15 March 2016 7:13:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
ElCrazy  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2016 7:06:10 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nafcd Go to Quoted Post

Is this statement based on some kind of experience? Obviously there are the actual permit fees to apply for a prospecting permit which are around $2500 from memory. Also I think there is a minimum size limit. If there is conservation land you will need an agreement with doc to do any digging on their land. When you apply for the permit with crow minerals you will need to have a work program and some deliverables outlined.

Essentially a prospecting permit is not a "prospecting" or "fossicking" permission to have a play. It's a step in the process of looking for a new deposit.

Thanks Hatter great info!

So for the prospecting permit there are 2 costs if on Doc land
1) Permit fees from crown minerals (possibly $2.5k)
2) Doc fees (low impact type $500)

So while the prospecting permit focuses on hand sampling etc. you need a proper work programme, I'd guess systematical sampling. I guess there is a possible focus on intent, so they are looking at this as being the first stage of proper mining so there could need be intent to follow through?

I think I might just call them and get some definitive answers.

I want to do things the right way, so would be totally honest, it would be awesome if one could get a not too expensive prospecting permit which in a round about way allowed one to basically hobby fossick where it hasn't been totally worked over a million times. (not a mining permit - with royalties etc. and higher cost)

I am fortunate I have good job, so don't mind spending some $ within reason. Was thinking this might be a possible approach for those who feel a bit frustrated with the public fossicking areas. Great as they are.
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2016 8:22:05 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Crown minerals have a checklist that outlines what's required for each permit type.
See this for some info http://www.nzpam.govt.nz...rals-permits#prospecting
See this application spreadsheet.
http://www.nzpam.govt.nz...ders/permit-applications
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
ElCrazy  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2016 8:37:39 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

Ok an update I had a play around on the http://www.nzpam.govt.nz website. I do hope this helps others like myself!

There is such a thing as a Hobby Mining Permit. Although the costs are not very hobby like, I guess if a couple of people joined together it's not inconceivable.

I went through the NZPAM application steps to see what fees would be, I selected...

Fossicking (adding dredging no impact on application cost)
For 25 hectares 10 years
Application fee is $3,270 (I assume one off)
Plus Annual $10.22 per hectare, so 25 hectares is 25 x 10.22 = $255 per year. Possibly GST on top.

Plus Doc fees
$500 one off minimum fee for low impact.

For suction dredging DOC say "The estimated processing fee for straightforward low impact applications (eg, suction dredging) is $2,150 plus GST ($2,472.50 including GST)."

So if one wanted to do hobby mining possibly including suction dredging costs would be

1) NZPAM application fee &3,270
2) NZPAM annual fee (per hectare)
Example $10.22 per hectare, so 25 hectares is 25 x 10.22 = $255 per year.
3) DOC fee from $500 to $2,500 (I think this is one off?)

DOC ominously also say other requirements may be:
"lodge/enter into a bond with DOC
hold relevant insurance policies (for insurance types such as: Public Liability, Forest and Rural Fires and Third Party Motor Vehicle)
pay ongoing fees for aspects such as compensation, monitoring and cost recovery associated with annual approvals. "

But I'd hope they would be in line with a hobbyist.

So if say 3 peoples joined together to do small suction dredging as well as fossicking for fun. I think Roughly $2k each up front plus $100 odd a year so that's I guess feasible - ish.

Anyone who has more info or corrections please add!
Berlins  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2016 9:49:51 PM(UTC)
Berlins

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Annual fee due NZPAM for a mining permit is $10.22 per hectare or $511.11, whichever is greater therefore if you claimed 25ha as per the example above you would be paying $511.11 per year
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2016 12:56:45 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
It would be a good idea to get several detectorists on board (those who exclusively detect) they could reduce the overall cost & also point out good spots to aim your dredges/sluices.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
ElCrazy  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2016 3:36:28 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
It would be a good idea to get several detectorists on board (those who exclusively detect) they could reduce the overall cost & also point out good spots to aim your dredges/sluices.

Yes indeed!
ElCrazy  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2016 5:47:33 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

OK thinking about this a bit, if anyone is possibly interested in teaming up and joining forces to make getting a hobby claim actually affordable please PM me.

Theres no commitment in doing so. But if there are a bunch of us we can discus and swap ideas, maybe meet up and talk more. You never know we might actually be able to do put something together or not.

mwyatt  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2016 7:29:56 PM(UTC)
mwyatt

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ElCrazy Go to Quoted Post
OK thinking about this a bit, if anyone is possibly interested in teaming up and joining forces to make getting a hobby claim actually affordable please PM me.

How about the idea discussed in this thread

I like your enthusiasm :D

Edited by user Wednesday, 16 March 2016 7:31:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: To add a comment.... :D

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2016 6:17:53 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
http://www.paydirt.co.nz...mai-claim.aspx#post26423
They discuss it there. I believe there was another similar older thread.

One of the other issues that you need keep in mind is who you go into a claim with. Some might invite all their mates down while you're not looking. Or go full tit with a massive dredge and take all the easy stuff. Or do something that is against the NZPAM or DOC rules.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
element111  
Posted : Friday, 18 March 2016 3:28:16 PM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I suggest you email vivienne bull, [email protected] she is a tenement consultant,she can steer you in the right direction and do your permits for a fee, if you have never done a permit before there is a lot to consider, doc land access fees can end up been absolutely massive, you need local council consents ect,ifyou need to get access though people's farms ect most are not that keen unless they get something worth while out of it,I know someone who was denied land access so has to heli all his gear in and stay on the river then heli it all out again because he couldnt gain access.

Your best bet is to go straight out and get a mining permit and try your luck...

Edited by user Friday, 18 March 2016 4:16:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gold Stamp X  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2016 10:42:19 PM(UTC)
Gold Stamp X

New Zealand

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I would also have to agree and say just go right out and get this mining permit. As stated you need to put a plan together to get a prospecting permit and spend a bit of money to prove that there is something worth mining there. The prospecting permit is good for only 3 years. After that you can try to do a mining permit to keep the claim. But by doing that you are pretty much paying twice for permits. So just go for the mining one and hope for the best.

One thing to consider is if your putting together a few people for this, is that you start a company. I only say this as if you all go in on your own, each person will need there own PLI to do any work($1000 each). If you start a company then everyone within the company is covered. Just something to consider if you can find enough people you can trust to go thru with this plan.

Another thing to do before you make any plan is talk to the land owners if its not DOC. Don't get your dreams crushed by planning everything out and then finding out you can even get onto the land. And sometimes a little bribe goes along way and could be well worth it!

Good luck what ever you end up doing.