New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2016 6:59:14 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Cleggie  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2016 5:39:15 PM(UTC)
Cleggie

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 31 post(s)
That looks like a nice claim... 25Km of river bed is a huge area that covers both forks of the Maerewhenua river and runs by the Danseys Pass motor camp. I remember there being some comments being made on this forum when this claim was originally made as this was an unofficial public fossicking area. People would stay at the motor camp and go down to the river and pan for gold. That all ended as the claim owner didn't want public messing with his claim. So is this an opportunity for the foundation of a mining society? Is there any interest form other members of this forum?

Cheers, Ken.
mwyatt  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 March 2016 7:25:03 PM(UTC)
mwyatt

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cleggie Go to Quoted Post
So is this an opportunity for the foundation of a mining society? Is there any interest from other members of this forum

That would be awesome, only problem...I'm in Auckland.... But it would be nice to get a prospecting organisation of the ground. GPANZ :D

Could be really cool having 10 to 50 people on 3 or 5 day organised outings to GPANZ claim or public area! Prospectors hanging out and sharing stories at night over the camp fire. During the day helping each other and sharing prospecting and gold mining knowledge. Not to mention the retail opportunities for the mining equipment resellers.

I'd be keen to get such an organisation of the ground....
goldsborough  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2016 6:31:57 PM(UTC)
goldsborough

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mwyatt Go to Quoted Post
So is this an opportunity for the foundation of a mining society? Is there any interest from other members of this forum

We would be interested in a group buying something like this, 25km of river, surely 10 people wouldn't annoy each other too much.

Living in Auckland is not a problem. It's an excuse to leave. We are in Rotorua and would travel more often

Edited by user Thursday, 17 March 2016 6:34:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ForrestFenn  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2016 9:20:11 PM(UTC)
ForrestFenn

New Zealand

I saw recently that the camping ground is for sale up there, smart move for anyone looking at it would be to add the claim to it so that they can once again rent a pan to campers.

As to the other discussion about people going in on the claim together, i think that crowdfunding (like for the abel tasman beach) and turning it into a fossicking area would be the way to go, with the same rules about hand tools only. Not quite as popular as the beach though.

Below is a link to the property for anyone interested, may be a good money spinner housing all the miners if it sells to a syndicate!

http://www.trademe.co.nz...e/auction-1042028823.htm

mwyatt  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2016 10:20:51 PM(UTC)
mwyatt

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: goldsborough Go to Quoted Post
Living in Auckland is not a problem. It's an excuse to leave.

Trust me Goldsborough, another year and 9 months and I'm living down in Christchurch. Just waiting for my daughter to finish school and as soon as she's off to Uni we're moving.

Hey ForrestFenn, that's actually a great idea to combine the holiday park and claim.
Sailor  
Posted : Friday, 18 March 2016 8:13:16 PM(UTC)
Sailor

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
That looks like a nice claim..Have sent you a PM Cleggie .Come on Cantabrians let,s get this.

kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2016 9:13:43 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
I played in the area when I lived in timaru. spent holidays with the kids at the camping ground and played in the river
this was 30 odd years back and there was good easy gold then
now I live on the coast its a bit far to go

if I lived back down in timaru you boys wouldnt even be talking about it , I would already be there

warning though be careful with forming a group, gold dose funny things to people (look at me)
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2016 6:52:08 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Loads of new ground has been recently opened up by NZPAM that was originally under "Platinum Reserves" (not the metal, just the name). Would be far cheaper just to stake a new claim. About $2.5k for application I think, then whatever the access costs with DOC / LINZ.

West Coast is a bit of a shorter drive from Christchurch also?

I'm already involved in a few claims now so got enough on my plate. Just putting out some thoughts in case a group of people are thinking of getting together.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2016 10:11:45 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
That's a good idea gavin so long as when it comes to getting reasorse consent they don't get you to :get the river surveyed ,historic places trust often like an expert to survey historic features in & out of the river , electric fish the area pluss a bunch of other crap they throw at you...last 1 I did I was hoping to get it all sorted for under 10k....in the end 30k :(.
Best bet is to really do your homework b4 you part with any $ so that's talking to the likes of fish & game , doc, HPT first , also would pay to sus out access especially if its on private land .The only downside to asking questions first is if someone trys to cut ya lunch before you have a permit on the ground also dealing with the above crowed can take a lot of time but if I where to do another 1 that's what I would do.
Cheers.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2016 12:37:55 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
don't forget a blue duck survey cosying up to $2000 even if they don't find any
look out if they do doc with throw all sorts of time limits at you when to work and when not to
dragonfly  
Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2016 1:38:25 PM(UTC)
dragonfly

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Who would I contact to get this area proposed as a public area for us east coasters.
I am happy to dedicate time to form a group to make this a reality but wouldnt even know where to start and I have a mortgage and mouths to feed so buying it is not an option.
Was an opportunity lost when the area went under claim and alot of groaning went on so where are those voices now?
Now is the chance to get it for all to enjoy and would be a real shot in the arm for us east coasters with the gold fever.
Hey, would be it an option for the current owner to supply paid permits to local fossickers? He keeps the claim and draws an income and still gets to use the area too?
You could also restrict it to panning, sluicing, sniping and highbanking to make it fair for all.
Hey just dreaming here but wouldnt it be cool to have a patch to go without driving 4 hrs................
nafcd  
Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2016 1:43:21 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
doc would have to run it I would assume. cant imagine them buying it outright or they would have before now. maybe the crowd funding idea earlier would be worth looking at. I think if it became a public area it would be panning and sluicing only

Edited by user Sunday, 20 March 2016 1:44:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

270win  
Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2016 11:52:00 PM(UTC)
270win

New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 9 post(s)
i find it strange pictures of MY gold that I found ended up on that advert.... most of it found miles away from the maraphenua river.... shows how well the previous guy did?.... good hobby claim? yes. pretty place? yip. gonna make you rich? no

pepe panner  
Posted : Monday, 21 March 2016 1:10:03 AM(UTC)
pepe panner

New Zealand

made you a fair bit though has it not Mr 270 win ....tom dawson
I shall give Mr Franklyn a call in the morning and maybe post the many photos ive seen of you poaching on this claim , the audio recordings of him verbaly warning you and your friend mr green to leave his claim , and the videos made of you made the next weekend , the ones given to Craig Bennet of the Kurow police , the personal number plates of your white hilux
or about viewing his claim under the rouse of leasing a section and not doing a single thing you agreed
I remeber going back quite some years your father n his mates staying at the camp ground to spend alot of time in that river golding
As a long time local its served me well over the years with the pan n shovel and hopfully any new owner in the future will continue to give me the freedom the current owner has.
270win  
Posted : Monday, 21 March 2016 7:33:11 PM(UTC)
270win

New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 9 post(s)
yes i was up there and spoken to by dale franklin...( i was/am unaware that panning or detecting up on the banks was not allowed as i thought it was only gravels from the river that was claimed?) it was a nice day for a picnic and a walk of the dogs.. i left immediatley after the covosation and nothing further was done.. did i ever go back to danseys?..... no i did not.... i had full intent of leasing a section with a "mate" but felt like the section of river he wanted to lease was far too deep and had too much overburden. to try work for one day a week in the weeknds with a 2-4 inch homemade dredge. which i ageed to nothing but having a look at the strech of river he wanted to lease.( section from the bridge just upstream from camp ground to the pringels gully bridge. had it had been the north branch i would of been more than happy to shake hands on that.) he also greeted me on that day with a large cannibis pipe and a big bag of cannibis.. i also remember him talking up his big german sheppard and how he bragged about carrying a 7mm in the truck "just in case"....

i guess was just gob smaked seeing photos ive taken over the years on trademe to premote the danseys claim. and some of the chunky gold i shamefully admit ive bought off trademe. :/

it does show how much gold has been found over the last 2 years.yes the Dawsons have scrapped every crack on that river over the last 30 odd years and the only reason to go back is to have a picnic on the banks reminising about the good times. :)

File Attachment(s):
pepe panner  
Posted : Monday, 21 March 2016 8:16:16 PM(UTC)
pepe panner

New Zealand

as he is sitting beside me having a good laugh at your comments, esp being called a drugy and a gun nutt Mr 270 win .....
i guess il believe the guy with the bigger jar of fine gold and the photos and police emails
but 3 grams for my days efforts with the pan today keeps me happy .
i i see a couple of other people have already commented on this topic that do ok there with his say so , also with the pan on this claim.
but ive been asked to not turn the crank handle so to speak, so ill leave it at that
pepe panner  
Posted : Monday, 21 March 2016 8:17:24 PM(UTC)
pepe panner

New Zealand

as he is sitting beside me having a good laugh at your comments, esp being called a drugy and a gun nutt Mr 270 win .....
i guess il believe the guy with the bigger jar of fine gold and the photos and police emails
but 3 grams for my days efforts with the pan today keeps me happy .
i i see a couple of other people have already commented on this topic that do ok there with his say so , also with the pan on this claim.
but ive been asked to not turn the crank handle so to speak, so ill leave it at that
nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 21 March 2016 8:30:06 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

and I have been allowed to do a bit of panning there from time to time. I have seen gold the owner has taken out and its a good site. if I had the cash I would be buying it.
nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 28 March 2016 8:29:54 AM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

if there is enough interested I am prepared to do some investigating in to crowd funding to get this claim. send me a message if you are interested

Edited by user Monday, 28 March 2016 8:33:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Pages12>