New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 4 April 2016 11:49:56 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Don't look for your passport though - this was a year ago...
Imagine, a coast frequented by smugglers, pirates, wreckers, invaders and traders for the last couple of thousand years at least !

A popular Cornish beach has been stripped of all its sand by a freak high tide, leaving nothing but rocks covered in seaweed and algae.
But just hours later, the change in tide deposited the golden sands back in their place.
Porthleven, a holiday spot famed for its stretches of beach, was left with exposed rocks after the unusual tide swept away sand overnight.
Much of the sand has disappeared from the beach which sits below the quaint seaside town, with locals describing the exposed rock as the worst they had seen in living memory.
Porthleven is described as an 'unspoilt Cornish fishing harbour' in tourism promotions, and has just welcomed a new restaurant from celebrity chef Rick Stein.
Photos from the scene show promenade steps that run down into the lush sand suddenly led to a sharp drop onto rocks.
Oceanographer Alan Jorgensen, from Porthleven said he has never seen the level of sand so low in all his years in the village.
He said: 'I am sure it will come back in time but I've never seen it like this before. It was a bit of a surprise to be honest.'
Karen Wall, 42, from Porthleven, said: 'I've seen it fluctuate, but just going by my mother's wisdom - she's been past that beach every day for 74 years - she's never seen it as bare.'
Promoting the Cornish town as a tourist destination, Porthleven is described as having two miles of sandy beaches, as well as a 'picture book location' in tourism materials.
Experts calculated that nearly a million tonnes of sand were lost off British beaches last year, with popular beaches in Newquay, Bude and Perranporth also left bare.
Estimations were that the sand - which was left languishing offshore in mountainous sandbanks and bars - would take years to return.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

And a YouTube
https://youtu.be/msQPHxTUgzI

One day.....

MW
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 April 2016 12:45:04 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Wow unbelievable .......thats exactly what I've been praying is going to happen this coming winter :)
The sand sure is the enemy but then without it there wouldn't be anything to detect I guess.
Equally amazing how quickly Mother Nature restored the beach back to normality.
Thanks for sharing Iggy