New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 8 April 2016 11:00:10 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Walked in a straight (reasonably) line from shore to waterline.
Bottom row (from right to left) is what I found on my way down to waterline. On the Left is my junk.
UserPostedImage

Copper cubic nail
Hypodermic needle - druggies are about, maybe its a contraband drop off point and they were testing the goods?
5cent 1967, 10cent 1980; coins appear to be silver due to mud - guess it's slightly acidic.
Copper ring with purple centre (thought it was gold due to the mud effect)
28g sinker
(a drop of water from the ring?)

Top row, what I found along the waterline:
108g surf casting sinker
58g sinker
Nice lead lure 62g
Huge 241g sinker

I'll be returning tomorrow early.

Here is a close up of the ring, it looks kind of fancy - the centre could be Amethyst, has a scratch.
UserPostedImage

Turns out that 5 cent is a rare YAY, worth $30 or more!

Edited by user Thursday, 21 July 2016 6:17:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: 5 cent is worth something!

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 10:38:03 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Nice one, that ring is quite an unusual design.
Thanks for the pics.
Iggy
roy1954  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 11:49:38 PM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
cool ring looks like it trying to be a flower maybe 1930s art deco
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 11 April 2016 11:28:05 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

UserPostedImage
This time I decided to go across the harbour to the other side.
A very large flat rough rocky area. Several beach combers out. One guy said he found a watch once, and loads of fishing paraphernalia.

Scanned the white beach a little, but quite a bit of large iron junk deep down. Also some old reinforce concrete around the place - horrible for detecting.
There was a muddy area in the middle extending from the beach and that is where I found the brass button/nail end, disappointingly nothing else.

Got the smashed lead (9g) on the only prominent raised rock formation - the first area I target usually.
Found the large fishing net sinker (88g) out side a boatshed on the beach, there was also a few large rocks with signals, but got dark so have to return.

Wasn't feeling well that day, been ill lately, so only got a few hours in. The large flat rocky area didn't show up as much as I though it would, had many shallowish depressions to collect stuff. Though, I didn't reach the waterline this time, maybe that is where the goodies have collected. Perhaps the beach combers found most of the obvious things too?
There is still some grassy park areas and a long expanse of white sand beaches for me to check on when I return soon.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 18 April 2016 11:59:00 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Today I returned to the first spot, low tide doesn't seem to affect this area as it has a large channel in the middle.
This steeply sloped beach had many cockle shells every time I saw the cerrated edge I thought it was a coin Argh!
Good thing was the clay bottom about 30cm deep, where my targets could burrow no further.

This time round I started mid-mud (still loads of little shells) where I'd found that crap ring, and worked my way up to the shelly section, then white sands.
After nearly steping backward into a muddy hole I'd only partially filled, I decided to fill them in better.

Large sandflies decided to attack me with painful bites as I approached the white sand area, and left me bleeding, lucky I had a good amount of mud armour or it could have been much worse.

Left hand digging with my mini spade in mud wasn't so bad (right hand kept detector suspended midair). Though my shoulders are hurting now - good training for next time (won't be for a while, feel a bit disillusioned).

Made a good choice to start down in the mud, as the digging got easier as the day went on. However the only thing I recovered from the sand... to be continued tomorrow.

UserPostedImage

I'm very pleased with the brass button that reads: Auckland G. McBride.

Auckland Clothing Co. 1888
G. McBride
Custom Street East
The Largest Tailoring Concern in New Zealand
Auckland Clothing Co. Advertisement

Now I've got a complete collection of those nails, knew there were more signals in the area last time, but had to head for water line.
There may be more, I'll be checking when I return, wonder what they are from?

The coin dates mean I'm getting close to predecimals, I reckon some might have been dropped by me as a kid swimming here.
Fairly certain old timers wouldn't swim with ye olde coins as they were worth a bit more and they probably didn't have pockets.
Searched a small area of old trees, and that's where I found the bullet end, copper wire, and tinny wrapper (empty).

Edited by user Tuesday, 19 April 2016 12:31:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roy1954  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 April 2016 12:33:14 AM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
i too have found those square copper nails the ones i find are from a wooden if you like boardwalk that was taken down in the mid sixties you can find them as far down as the low tide mark gravity takes them seaward same as the gold rings lost in the dry sand you just need to find something that stops them from moving down rocks or clay and hope for a day you can reach them with a detector the sinkers are a good sign,
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 April 2016 11:22:24 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Neat detailed discription....I like it. I think we all get a little disillusioned at times, but stick with it and the good stuff will come (at least that's what I'm hoping for).
It's surprising where and when it does appear. I think we have all been to spots where we think we are going to come home pockets stuffed full of goodies only to be somewhat disappointed.......but there's always next time.
Don't know why really but I actually quite like pulling lead sinkers.
HH Iggy
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 April 2016 9:22:11 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Continued from yesterday (now I've had a chance to recover and wash my junk).

...was bottle (beer) caps in the sandy part, at least it was easy digging for this junk :/

UserPostedImage

Last time I had a mystery item that was similar, oyster shells around some mud - but when I opened it up nothing to be found.
Perhaps it is a concentration of black sand? I was getting some ground balancing issues in the middle of the beach, and due to not fiddling with any dials or really ground balancing often enough when making my way up the beach I'd dug some large holes chasing false signals! :D
Also found some very small black light bubbly rock, no idea.
Iron in grey wrapper and lead wrapper I suspect are also some battery components.
The mystery grey bits and many of the items will all be cut to see what is within.

I do love finding sinkers, but round ones are hard to see in black mud.
My search area was 10m wide, there is still a long white sand area where I'll focus my efforts next time, and I've not yet searched near the wharf at all.
I'll get some more pictures of the beach and area next time (before I get dirty). Then you can see exactly what I'm harping on about, with arrows where some things lain.

Finished up at dusk. Too tired to even look at the giant Macrocarpa tree(2m diametre trunk), 5km walk home up hill. After only finding junk around the other trees.
UserPostedImage

I've been informed there was a store there and will shortly know the exact location :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Silvers await me.

Edited by user Tuesday, 19 April 2016 9:27:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: more pix

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 April 2016 11:29:06 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Love the developing story with this site.

And certainly check the wharf - people lean over or sit on railings and the pockets just empty...
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 April 2016 12:58:28 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Love the developing story with this site.

And certainly check the wharf - people lean over or sit on railings and the pockets just empty...

It was a settler loading dock, I'm very hopeful.
All this talk makes me want to return sooner :)
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 24 April 2016 9:25:27 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Nothing in the odd mystery bits - all battery components, the largest lump was batteries or capacitors heavily corroded. The lump with copper turned out to be another section of the dog chain - the copper was actually some kind of electroplate/paint or something.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 7 May 2016 12:00:10 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Investigated a few different areas for a couple of hours. An old horse & cart road which was cut into the side of a hill,that is now disused, zilch, very boggy. There are many more around in this area, where they've now straightened the roads & put them through & over hills.
Scouted out a roadside in a 19th centuary area. Unfortunately the road has now been cut through the hill, and a valley filled in, likely over the original route. I'll need to clear kyukyu, and other thorny pests to have a proper chance of detecting.
Roadside combing is a treasurefilled as detecting; found each of this pair of leather gloves on either side of the road
UserPostedImage

Next I went to a hall that used to be a school, I've got permission to detect here. Nearly disused, large area and electric fence interference out front :(
But out back, was completely clear :))) It is a popular drinking & nooky spot, some clearing of gorse & other overgrown areas will be required.

It began to rain, so decide to scout out different areas of this little beach that is my focus at the moment:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Detected out to the edge, and there was even a target on the cliff edge (very left of this photo) I dug but 30cm down to a large root no target, dark now and giving up. Checked briefly around the largest trees & in chip wood under swings, but only got nails.

UserPostedImage
Little haul of junk for a few hours bit of china, strip of brass, UMC Co copper 12 gauge shotgun shell, still had paper case remains inside, short .22 pistol round?

Edited by user Monday, 9 May 2016 11:09:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Pix links

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2016 6:22:22 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Wow, 2x 1967 5 cents and they're worth something.
Glad I keep all my finds.
I'd better go check all my other old decimals.

Now when I find old decimals I'll be happier.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2016 9:33:35 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
After a couple of knee-trembling coin finds, I never give coins the good 'ol grubby wipe when they're dug now and always clean and check each coin when I get home.

All old decimals can be redeemed for face value at the Reserve Bank.
Well worth throwing them in a bucket and getting a couple of hundred deposited into your account each year.

Banks usually let you have the plastic coin bags free of charge