New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Forthetimebeing  
Posted : Sunday, 30 May 2010 4:23:47 AM(UTC)
Forthetimebeing

Groups: Registered

What are these guys like to deal with at this distance ? Any previous purchase pitfall experience advice appreciated. My last dec was a garret, I sold it 10 yrs ago, bad move, should have hung onto it.
Now I have the time to use it.

Considering buying the Fisher F5, is it cost effective to import, eg shipping cost.
The free goodies make it atractive, these dont seem to be included elsewhere and at our much inflated local prices.
goldtimer  
Posted : Sunday, 30 May 2010 2:05:03 PM(UTC)
goldtimer

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi there,
I got my detector through Kellyco, but had a relative over in the US to buy it off them, then send it over. There was no issues with the detector, and everything works great.
Some of the freebies that we got was the sort of stuff that you don't really need, the best thing that they chucked in was a free coil, apart from that, a lot of the freebies never get used.

Customs and GST need to be taken into account, I'm not sure of the rates they charge at the moment, but the more your detector is worth, the more you'll get charged, you should have a look on the customs site and figure out the costs...

Good luck :)
GT.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 30 May 2010 4:06:08 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Forthetimebeing.

To get this F5 detector to your doorstep in NZ will cost all up ,approx $1050.00(NZ dollars)Thats all inclusive with NZ customs fee.

Kellyco seem O.K. to deal with.

But keep in mind that if you accept all the freebies(and possibly the bonus detector too) then all this extra stuff will add to the "detector only" shipping cost fairly considerably(double would be a good figure).
Also the added value of all those extras(and this could work out to be twice the price of the detector itself) will possibly have to be added into the shipping cost overall.This could add an apreciable extra cost to you.
Plus, if all ths is added to the actual $US dollar value of the complete package,then you will pay 2 to 3 times the NZ customs fees aplicable.
I may be wrong about this,so your bet bet is to clarify with Kellco exactly what your package will cost all up,in $US dollars) Customs fees are approx $100.oo odd NZ dollars in the $US 1000.oo.
You may also find that kellyco or Paypal will also charge 3% on the US dollar total.

Cheers---Colin.
Forthetimebeing  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 7:32:02 AM(UTC)
Forthetimebeing

hanks for info, dint know of the nz customs fees, I figured this to be only the gst content if over $50 worth so gst on abt $650. I have imported stuff from usa b4.

Could someone clarify this point is there a import duty as such ?, this is normally in place to protect nz makers. This was the case with office products at 7%-14% for good number of years, not sure if it still is. Only protected one company, now gone, so pretty dumb idea.
didnt work.
I dont know of any similiar things being made in Nz, It would be a good cause to argue for an exemption if thats the case.

$1050 fits my budget, happy to sell of the discounted bonus dec on trademe might get back most of the shipping costs + (dream on)

Have e-mailed kellyco for a complete price. 4 days and no reply. maybe when it gets to the nitty gritty I can get them to leave out some of stuff. Especially dont need 2 lots.
Forthetimebeing  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 7:35:55 AM(UTC)
Forthetimebeing

Had a quick look at Nz Customs duty is listed at 0% on metal detectors
just a $24 entry fee plus biosecurity fee $4 and Gst of course
criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:41:43 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Forthetimebeing,

Yes, Customs charge GST plus fees! All up for $650 US$ worth will total around 150$ "Kiwi".
By the way, you did know that the Fisher F5 is basically a Coin/Relic machine did`nt you?
Not the best for detecting gold,(if that what your mainly after)
If your not sure of your basic requirments, then I suggest you contact "Mr Bill" of "SURFSCANNER DETECTORS" and explain your needs to him. You will find that he`s most helpfull, and will put you on the right track!
If you should deal with him, his prices are exellently low, and delivery to our shores is approx 2 weeks after he recieves your payment.(now that pretty good).

Mention that Colin Atkinson told you about him (he knows me, so you will get a bit of priority)

http://www.surfscanner.c...Surfscan3/ContactMe.html

Cheers---Colin.
Forthetimebeing  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 9:33:20 AM(UTC)
Forthetimebeing

Just gonna scan the beach while waitin for the fish to bite, few old west coast mining towns on the hit list as well, done the cold water sandfly thing, maybe dry creeks in summer for a change of scene and thats about it. gets me out of the house
Forthetimebeing  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 June 2010 2:18:45 PM(UTC)
Forthetimebeing

The again maybe they are not so hot 6 days and no reply, wont sell many that way
not to me at least, generally if thats how the service starts I have found thru experience thats where it ends
Forthetimebeing  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 June 2010 2:20:15 PM(UTC)
Forthetimebeing

Then again maybe they are not so hot 6 days and no reply, wont sell many that way
not to me at least, generally if thats how the service starts I have found thru experience thats where it ends
Forthetimebeing  
Posted : Friday, 4 June 2010 3:49:22 AM(UTC)
Forthetimebeing

Sent 2 more price request e-mails and zilch replys, guess I will be buying elsewhere
Rege  
Posted : Sunday, 6 June 2010 4:06:08 AM(UTC)
Rege

Don`t know if I can help, but I am a White`s Metal detector dealer and if anyone is interested in any of their products let me know. Good prices and will take the time to deal with you. Hoping to get over there in March 2011.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 6 June 2010 7:03:28 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:18:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rege  
Posted : Sunday, 6 June 2010 7:19:56 PM(UTC)
Rege

Both of those are great machines,with a proven record on gold. I use the MXT myself, mainly for coins & jewelry as the eastern US is not know for nuggets but there is some good gold to find if one travels south into the gold belt. Actually the vegetation makes it very difficult to swing, prior to the 1860`s nuggets were found in some areas and I think there are pockets still remaining, a friend of mine picked up a six gram in a small stream. White`s TDI is getting a great reputation for small deep gold at about 1/3 the price of minelab. I hope to do some detecting/dredging in NZ in 2011, if only for a day or two.
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 7 June 2010 4:21:39 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:19:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rege  
Posted : Monday, 7 June 2010 11:40:14 PM(UTC)
Rege

Hi JW...I will be on the South island near Fairlie, don`t know if there is any gold areas nearby but I am willing to move. I dredge and sluice now and am currently building a dredge on wheels to get into the smaller shallow streams, makes it alot easier to move about. I have never had the chance to detect for gold and that would be a real treat if I could find a piece. I wouldn`t mind dredging or high banking there also. Please email me at [email protected] and I will give you a price on the TDI or any other White`s machine. Any others interested please feel free to contact me.
Keep well
Rege
Rege  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 June 2010 7:28:03 AM(UTC)
Rege

White`s is bringing out an MXT Pro model and a TDI Pro model...I`ll post the upgrades as I get the info.