New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

WestieDigger  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 April 2016 8:19:52 PM(UTC)
WestieDigger

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Kind of embarrassing lost ripcurl watch with velcro strap and red dial somewhere between the bouy over the pad just off the wharf and the wooden ramp. Probably at about the weed line.
$50 reward for recovery if someone finds it before I get back there with fresh air tank.
thanks
2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 April 2016 8:25:05 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Sorry, trying not to snigger at the irony :)

(He says with his watch strap held together with insulation tape!... )
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 April 2016 9:46:41 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Had the day off work as the robot overlords were having a meeting, so decided to grab the Minelab XS8000 and head to the Pupuke marshes for a hunt. I've been doing some research in the GoogleWeb and it seems this area was once a lake - popular with our ancestors in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Took me a whole 8 minutes to get there from Turangi City Centre as the hover lanes were packed with day trippers from a cruiser in orbit, think they were Venusians from the way the flew!

Anyway, got there and managed to avoid having the wings scratched by the washerdroids at the hyperjunctions which is a first! The marshes were pretty much empty - a few blobs from Alpha Centauri enjoying the last rays of the setting moon before they evaporated for the day.

There was an area that, if you used your imagination, could see people swimming or whatever they did in water around wooden ramps and wharves. Wood, I wish the detector could find some of that stuff - be neat in the collection, used to be all over the planet once!

Anyway, there was a small area where some dingbat had ploughed their HoverHumVee in and turned over some turf so I gave it a go.

As I approached, the XS indicated a non ferrous target about 100g size a few Smoots to my right. As I homed in the display showed something circular 2m down and I transported it out. Much more civilised than the old days when Metal Hunters had to get down on their knees and dig in the dirt like savages!

It seems to be some sort of chronograph, GoogleWeb puts it as an early 21st Century timepiece, a prototype of the implanted EyePhones I think in the days when you had to carry them around tied to your arms.

Cleaned up, it looks in very good condition even for 355 years old - I bet whoever lost it was annoyed as I think these were worth a couple of hundred dollarcoins in those days....More than a years wages!

If you're in the area, check out the edge of the Waitemata River - Used to be a harbour they reckon.

Good hunting, and all power to our benevolent dictator overloads
Hail King Bieber!

Cheers,
Minion #44662387-228

Edited by user Wednesday, 20 April 2016 9:47:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified