New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 23 September 2011 4:05:23 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
http://www.trademe.co.nz...er/auction-409040662.htm

Would this work as a pin pointer or would it be too thick?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 23 September 2011 5:30:48 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i think it would be to thick chris..but lets see what others say..
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 23 September 2011 7:08:45 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Agree, 42mm is too thick to stick into a hole and be able to pin point which side has the object (unless you have massive holes and that's not the best for parks).

I've had 2 freebees when I got my detectors and have brought a Pro-pointer. The Automax is huge and next to useless. The Bullseye II is twice as good as the Automax but the Pro-pointer is in a league of its own compared to these others.

If I was starting off again I would forget all the cheap alternatives and just learn how to pinpoint with the detector then pass a hand of soil over the coil to find the target. Once the $1 & $2 finds got up enough I would then get a Pro-pointer - bypassing the cheap alternatives completely.

They are expensive - but worth every cent and if the finds pay for it then essentially the Pro-pointer costs nothing.
chrischch  
Posted : Saturday, 24 September 2011 11:29:36 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
Agree, 42mm is too thick to stick into a hole and be able to pin point which side has the object (unless you have massive holes and that's not the best for parks).

I've had 2 freebees when I got my detectors and have brought a Pro-pointer. The Automax is huge and next to useless. The Bullseye II is twice as good as the Automax but the Pro-pointer is in a league of its own compared to these others.

If I was starting off again I would forget all the cheap alternatives and just learn how to pinpoint with the detector then pass a hand of soil over the coil to find the target. Once the $1 & $2 finds got up enough I would then get a Pro-pointer - bypassing the cheap alternatives completely.

They are expensive - but worth every cent and if the finds pay for it then essentially the Pro-pointer costs nothing.

Thats the kind of advice I needed. Thanks for that.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.