New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2016 12:39:40 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Here is a wee tip you may like to try if you are having trouble trying to stop crap from getting between your coil and cover. I used to have this problem especially with black sand and it used to upset the detector quite a bit.
I now smear a little multi purpose marine grease (Vaseline should be good as well) on the bottom and edges of my clean coil, place on the cover wipe off the excess, two or three strips of tape and your good to go.

The pic shows how she looked after probably around four months use and it's been in some reasonably ugly conditions......not a trace of crud at all.

UserPostedImage

Please use your discretion before trying this on your brand new 30/30 or similar though.

HH Iggy

Edited by user Monday, 6 June 2016 12:41:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2016 12:54:20 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Good idea, and better than sealing the plate with various silicones or other setting compounds.
I'd be very cautious though, as engineering greases contain hydrocarbon distillates which can (but not always) attack some plastics and epoxies over time.

Suggest anhydrous lanolin paste, sure it'll smell sheepy in the hot weather, but a lot more neutral.

Edited by user Monday, 6 June 2016 12:59:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2016 2:44:26 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Awesome stuff thanks MW, I was hoping someone knowledgable would suggest a safer alternative.

HH Iggy