New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 October 2011 10:31:03 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Well after much deliberation and with the help of everyone on the forum and the flip of a coin...(Not Kidding) I finally bought a Fisher F2 with the 11" DD coil and with a bunch of goodies included...(Kellyco they never seem to just sell the detector, they always give you extra stuff... lol) It should be here in the next week or so... CAN"T WAIT!!!! I will finally be able to go deeper than 3 inches!!!! woohoo!
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 October 2011 10:39:50 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Way to go goldnut, hope you have alot of fun with it...and many hours digging..

Chris

Edited by user Tuesday, 25 October 2011 11:17:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 October 2011 12:56:54 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Hope you find a gold pocket watch in first week like me! Great machine....if you need any target id hints just ask me or madsonic who told me lol........the early 60's are usually always a coin or a "v" bottletop. Unfortuneately the only dif between a 1 and 2 cent and the 1 and 2 dollar is the depth.
Let us know how you get on.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 October 2011 5:48:08 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Quote:
...(Kellyco they never seem to just sell the detector, they always give you extra stuff... lol)

I can tell you why that is; you are probably familiar with the ‘suggested retail price.’ This is the price that the manufacturer of a product suggests retailers sell a given item for. There is also in many cases a ‘minimum retail price’ and the manufacturer will stop supplying the retailer if they sell below this price. Near as I can tell Kellyco sells everything at the minimum retail price. Since they can’t undercut the competition any further on price they give away a bunch of materials of dubious value, quality, and utility and say “Hey, you also get $500 worth of free stuff!” So if you want to know if something is a good deal, look at Kellyco because that is as cheap as it gets, I look at their prices all the time. When bringing a detector into NZ be sure to figure in the exchange rate, shipping, bank transfer fees, GST and customs fees. There is no duty on detectors but there is on most tools etc.

And have fun with the new toy!
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 October 2011 6:46:48 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Agree with rgmcbrid about the "gifts". With both of my detectors from Kellyco I got a selection of freebee's as well but none are very good. At best they might be useable until you can find enough $ coins to buy some proper tools. Their prices are good but those gifts are just ballast in the carton.

But the main thing is that you got a good detector! When you get the track n trace number keep an eye on it until it gets to NZ Customs. Then give the post office a ring and pay for all the gst etc over the phone. This fast tracks things by a few days otherwise you will have to wait for them to send you a letter asking for payment.
Goldnut  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 12:00:40 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!! WOHOOOO!!!
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 1:12:02 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Steady now. Deep breaths. :-)

Now go.
Goldnut  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 1:17:14 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

lol
Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 11:51:27 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Goldnut Go to Quoted Post
ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!! WOHOOOO!!!

Show off! - In all honesty I envy you I'm waiting on my new toy and it's driving me nuts!
Called customs yesterday "No we have no record of that item". And guess what the paperwork turned up today grrrrrr.

Best of luck with your machine from what I've read and seen they are AWESOME value.
Goldnut  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 10:05:17 AM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

yes they are! but there is one problem now that I have it... my last detector was basically a cheep pinpointer that only went 4cm down... and now I have a proper detector that goes bout 20cm down... and when I took it out for a spin at my local beach it when CRAZY!! so if anyone has any tips on the F2 please let me know... I also found out how much I need a pinpointer! I dug down to the readout depth but found nothing... several times and it took a while to get used to the 11DD coil as it is hard to tell where the target is...

and even better would be someone in the Auckland area who has an f2 who would be willing to go out on a trip so that I could learn how to use it... but until then I will be going out a lot more just to get used to it... It did get a little bit easier the more I played with it as I started to find the targets including a 1 cent and 10 cent Israeli coin!!! never thought I'd find money from Israel! lol
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 10:48:48 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

I was going to go with the f2 or f4 then realized that sooner or later I was going to drown it and ended up with the Garrett At Gold.
At least it doesn't do the bell tone as did my Ace 250 (that tone really got under my skin) great first detector tho.

When I was looking I watched a lot of vids on you tube many by bthom68 ( http://www.youtube.com/user/bthom68 also :
http://metaldetectingnz.blogspot.com/ ). He has both the F2 and F4 and just seems to find coin after coin.. He might be on here but as far as I could see not under the same user name.

I'll be in the market for a pinpointer myself soon and it seems that the Garrett Pro Pointer is VERY popular US$127.45 (including shipping).

Also the pistol probe is apparently good but is a little more expensive.

From reviews I've read the Bounty Hunter / Fisher probes are not so flash - I'm sure there are people who think they are great.
my opinion is only from others opinions. I only mention these as they originally looked good for the price. ~shrugs~

Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 12:43:04 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Go for the Pro-pointer. Any of the cheaper ones are just a waste of money, and although I haven't used a pistol probe I don't think they are as rugged. The Pro-pointer is popular because at the moment there is just nothing else on the market that is as good (apart from some inline pointers but they are more expensive and detector specific).
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 7:14:32 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Way to go Gnut. Nothin like a new toy in the mail...Doesnt happen every day. The real mcoy, now your into it. It didnt take me long to figure out how to use the detector itself as a pinpointer. Its in the hole, no, its in this pile, yes. I share in the excitement with you as i only got mine 4 months ago and it was so cool.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 8:08:29 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Hi Goldnut.

I share your excitement mine FINALLY arrived today, don't know how many times I thought I heard my gate open in hope of the courier! I got about 30 mins around the backyard before the snow came.
and the machine is now $3 closer to paying itself off got to love rental houses and clothes lines ~grin~

Shilo
Thanks for your input - I think I'll order the pro pointer. Pain in the rear end checking over the coil all the time.
Cheers!

gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 9:13:22 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I agree with Shilo.

I used a Minelab Sovereign for quite a few years. Recently splashed out on an Xterra 705 and got a garrett pro pointer at the same time, after reading all the reviews. Bloody marvelous. Saves a heap of digging and a heap of time. Wouldn't go detecting without one now.
Goldnut  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 10:10:24 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Yeah I figured that if i take my composite trowel and wave the dirt in front of the coil I can get a fair idea where the metal is... as long as I take off my watch! lol... How much do one of those pointers cost?

I just sold that 18k gold ring on trade me for 430 which paid for my new toy :) (the F2). now I just need to find a couple more to get me a pinpointer cause man that would save time digging!
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 5 November 2011 8:40:43 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Thanks guys
I ordered a Garrett Pro Pointer today was NZ$167 including freight.
Looks like I may have to buy another detector as every time I put this one down to dig a plug the wife nicks off with it.
Goldnut  
Posted : Saturday, 5 November 2011 10:18:23 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

lol!
chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 6 November 2011 11:32:27 AM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Anyone wanting to go in on buying pro pointers give me a pm and we'll do a bulkish deal to save on freight if anyone is keen? I love my F2 but It has made me a bit lazy and I usually just dig the 60's and some of the 70's (target id ) now as most of the good stuff is in there. But I should use notch and leave tinfoil/gold in as I'm up to 925 silver ring number ten now so must have missed at least one gold ring.
If you want any target id's just let me know and keep us up to date with what you find.....we just about need a Fisher thread lol
Might go out this arvo......anyone keen? Give me a txt 0273700293.....prefer Woolstonish side of town or Brighton.
Ive only tried the beach/sand once but seemed to get fake signals so I'm unsure how good the F2's are on sand. Go to any grass park and you should get around $8 to $10 per hour. Well thats not much of an hourly rate but its leasurely and you find nice places you didnt know existed, but thats what I seem to get and I only do an hour or so and then the Mrs gets bored. I still cant leave her alone after earthquakes you see. She got a pretty good fright.

Feel free to pm me or whatever and ask any questions......i'm no expert but have found over $200 since purchase around 5 or 6 weeks ago along with a few kilos of old coins, a few kilos of crapolla lead, copper, brass etc, the old gold pocketwatch and a baggie of jewellery.....and a few live rounds of some decent sized ammo.....technically, should live ammo be handed to the police or what? I dont have a gun licence and dont wanna get in the sh!t but they are cool finds. Maybe I could pull the lead out, empty the powder and press it back in.
Is this possible? I'm sure you would know mr Lammerlaw being the gun man?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Goldnut  
Posted : Sunday, 6 November 2011 12:50:49 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

That is a good idea to start a F2 page that way we can share the EXP! lol... maybe life really is just a virtual video game!
2 Pages12>