New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 12:38:12 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
There has been some discussion about coin cleaning lately. I cleaned a few coins yesterday using advice from a site that Tonz had posted:

Coin Cleaning Secrets of the Ancients

Having always been told that cleaning coins is a sin, I was quite pleased with the results. Using ammonia does not really clean the coins to a blinding shine, it just seems to remove the stains and lighten them up a bit. Really crusty coins I alternated between ammonia and lemon juice. I am attaching a few photos of coins that were in a hideous state before cleaning. The cleaned coins do have some blisters or pits that I assume were a result of the corrosion and the cleaning simply revealed the damage. To me this is still an amazing improvement.
rgmcbrid attached the following image(s):
Blister.jpg
Blister2.jpg
Pits.jpg
Pits2.jpg
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 1:21:44 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
nice looking coins mate.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 1:32:53 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

I should have taken some before pictures, but both these coins were really ugly, like beach ugly before I started. Coins that are just a bit stained are what seems to be the best, it removes the stain but leaves them looking like an old coin.
Goldnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 3:04:23 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Those coins turned out nice! I am going to give it a go later today to see what some of my "worthless" silvers look like.
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 3:50:05 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
They look great Robert and I must admit that I am impressed. I do remember many years ago in certain areas finding silver coins with what appeared to be small bubbles and decided that it was part of a process of the silver becoming sort of delaminated for lack of a better term form the other alloys. I have a funny idea that the more pure the silver the less likely to happen because, if my memory serves me correctly it didnt seem to happen to any of the English coins I found or certainly not to the same degree as the New Zealand silver coins..
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 4:18:19 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
I agree Lammerlaw, some of the sixpences and threepences i have found have been broken and sort of foliated like schist or something and could be broken and bent by hand. I certainly havnt found that with the british silver. Also i once put a corroded silver sixpence in some vinegar and forgot about it for a couple of days. Well that coin just fell to bits after that, so dont do that.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 4:57:44 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Here are a few more pictures of cleaned coins.

The penny was so crusty when I started I could not tell if it was British or New Zealand. I am still working at it but I think it is pretty obvious that it is so far gone that it is now just junk.

The half penny was in pretty good shape (besides the obvious slice) and had a nice green patina. Cleaning it has made it far worse as far as I am concerned.

The other coins were in various states of stain, crust, and dirtiness, but I think they came out looking rather well. They still have a bit of darker colour around the letters for example and I don’t see how anyone could ever tell that they had been cleaned. The exception being the one three pence where I can see tiny black specks that are residual crust I didn’t get off. The half crown came out very clean but it does not have a shine to it so again it does not look cleaned to me.
Penny.jpg
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 5:00:39 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Sorry, having trouble with the upload
Penny.jpg
Halfpenny.jpg
Threepence.jpg
Threepence2.jpg
Sixpence.jpg
Sixpence2.jpg
Sixpence3.jpg
Shilling.jpg
Florin.jpg
Halfcrown.jpg
Sixpence2.jpg
Halfcrown.jpg
Goldnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 6:25:16 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

I know this will show who does the shopping in my house, but where would I find ammonia ? I know that it is in cleaners but where and which is the best? cheers
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 6:33:13 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

It should be in the grocery store. I couldn't find it amongst the 10,000 cleaners and finally had to ask someone. It was right in front of me on the top shelf. There is clear ammonia and cloudy ammonia but it is basically the same stuff. They put a bit of soap in the cloudy to make it cloudy.
Goldnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 6:51:08 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

cheers for that :)
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 8:51:41 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Beware of the fumes, and whatever you do, don't mix ammonium hydroxide with other chemicals. Chlorine especially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...monia#Safety_precautions

"Caution should be used that the chemical is never mixed into any liquid containing bleach, or a poisonous gas may result. Mixing with chlorine-containing products or strong oxidants, such as household bleach, can lead to hazardous compounds such as chloramines"
kiwisouth  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 8:53:36 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Don't the look great all nice and clean. While some coin collectors may call what you have done is sacrilege, people like me, and probable most of you gents, like to see what a coinn looks like after it's had a bit of TLC.

Great job and I'll pop down to the supermarket. I'll balance my shopping though, some household cleaner and some beer. Hate for people to think I'm going soft.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 10:02:46 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

I am extremely impressed with the condition of some of these coins and would be more than happy to have some of them in my collection - I can advise a few other more or less common household chemicals that it is not wise to get mixed up with ammonia - one in particular as it is one of those 'Goodnight nurse - Hello Purgatory' sort of mixtures of the type possibly encountered in the 'Poor man's James bond' Maunual!
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 10:24:55 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Poor Mans James Bond! Had a copy of that when I was a teenager, got me into all sorts of trouble.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 November 2011 11:11:29 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Dam lammerlaw maybe i should clean mine up to..im sure you would like some of them in your collection to..lol
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 9:50:06 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
Dam lammerlaw maybe i should clean mine up to..im sure you would like some of them in your collection to..lol

Having the second names of Scrooge and Midas actually infers that I prefer people to donate generously to a worthy cause but would love them in my collection - kind offer accepted and all donations acknowledged!

Weather supposed to be chronic this weekend and the weekend after I am heading to South Canterbury to a meeting but after that keep in touch and you and Robert come on down so we can head for the tall timber...well tall tussocks actually!

Seriously though some of Roberts finds do appear to be well worthy of collecting. Although I sold 95% of my silver coin finds back when Hunts sent the price up to 20 times face value in the 80s I did keep some of the better ones and the very best half crown I own is an early 1980s detector find so they are out there.

Edited by user Thursday, 3 November 2011 9:52:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 12:47:02 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Here are some before and after photos. These coins were initially cleaned with soap and water but had the obvious stains from being buried. The coin on the right also has a bit of green corrosion. I put the coin on the left in ammonia for about 2 minutes with good results. The one on the right took a little longer, about 10 minutes, because of the green corrosion. If they had been really crusty I would have soaked them longer and alternated with lemon juice but these two did not need it. I could have soaked them longer and gotten a better shine, but I think this left them looking more ‘natural.’

Edited by user Thursday, 3 November 2011 12:54:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FrontBefore.jpg
BackBefore.jpg
FrontAfter.jpg
BackAfter.jpg
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 9:09:53 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

ya he has some nice ones...i only have 1 or 2 in almost uncirculated condition..lol....Nice job robert
Goldnut  
Posted : Saturday, 5 November 2011 7:49:21 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Did some of my coins the other day and here are some pics. they all have a before and an after the 1/2 crown you can see the before in the group shot. They turned out a bit more shinny than I would have liked but they came out quite nice.

Edited by user Saturday, 5 November 2011 8:00:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Goldnut attached the following image(s):
PB020009.JPG
PB020062.JPG
PB020005.JPG
PB020013.JPG
PB020029.JPG
PB020048.JPG
PB020016.JPG
resource.ashx.png
2 Pages12>