New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

petetsw  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 7:49:46 AM(UTC)
petetsw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hi guys, i would like to try my luck on nuggety creek between owen & murch but the problem is that there is a claim post there and it looks very very old,so i just wounder what the claim owner can do if the catch me there digging.so should i dig there or not.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 9:08:25 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hello Petetsw.

Im pretty certain that a Claim holder can only tell you to move on.
Physical violence, has its own reply in Law. (like you can lay Assault charges.)

If it was me faced with this Old Claim post, and I could not see anymore around.( mind you I would not be seriously looking for others) Then I would just work away anyway, and if caught! would plead ignorance as to knowing "Which side of the post the claim was on" and then ask for the claims boundarys to be pointed out to me for future reference. I would then say "Sorry about that,I will work over there in future, as it is not on your ground".

Cheers---Colin.
x-terra steve  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 9:25:06 AM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Good words of advice Colin,
If you are fossicking as such using basic non-motorised gear most claim holders I know dont have a problem with it.Hey who said you were looking for gold anyway?? for all anybody knows you could be collecting shelight (tungsten ore).
Happy digging Steve
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 9:39:16 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
For Reference only.

Exploration Licenses.
These enable mineral exploration and prospecting to be undertaken.
The size of these areas ranges from about 3 square kms to about 300 square kms.
(A larger area than these can be granted in special cases.) ( large companies may take out multiple licenses to cover great areas
Licenses are normally granted for a period of 2/3 years and may be renewed for further periods. This type of license allows for geological and geophysical surveying, sampling, drilling, trenching and any other techniques that are applied for by the applicant.
The owner of the exploration license has certain rights within his block, and even the land owner cannot legally take rocks from the licensed ground.
( And neither can you ! )

Before any private lands are entered under this license, the owner and any occupier has to be notified, and an access agreement entered into. All licenses contain conditions, like specifying the amount required to be expended on exploration during the license period. A deposit must also be lodged as security to cover the holder's obligations to comply with the license conditions.

The Prospecting licenses purpose is to enable evaluation of mineral deposits to be carried out after the normal period of exploration is over. There is no maximum size for a prospecting license. These licenses can be granted for a period of 5/6 years and renewed for a further 5/6 years. There are similar conditions imposed on these licenses, as those for exploration licenses. Including those relating to access to private lands.

Mining Licenses,
These are granted (usually after the conditions of the other 2 are complied with)
to enable actual full scale mining operations to be carried out, whether by open cut, or underground methods. They are generally granted for a period of twenty one years,
The holders are required to lodge a security deposit ,proportional to the size of the mining operation, to ensure compliance with conditions of the lease,
Mining Licenses can be renewed, and are subject to the same conditions as those above.
Royalty is payable on all minerals recovered.

Most mining companies won't allow detecting Etc, on their licenses!
But some will, under the condition that you can keep all of the gold you find, as long as you show them and where you found it.
These companies have learnt that people sneak onto their Mining licenses and help themselves.
In that case the companies learn nothing!

Cheers---Colin.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 10:29:05 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Nuggety Creek is on private property. When you cross the bridge there are gates to the left and right. Kayakers use it as access to the river but to get to the gold in the creek, you do need to get the owners permission and he is pretty loath to do that. A friemd of the family's mother lives in Murchison and they have special permission to go there during the summer but not many other people are. Just be wary. I haven't even been there, everywhere else I think, but I was never in Murchison at the same time as our buddy.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
petetsw  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 10:35:39 AM(UTC)
petetsw

ok thanks that means that i have to play more stupied than normal if he sees me there
petetsw  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 June 2010 3:24:16 PM(UTC)
petetsw

i have been at the creek once before and then i didn,t se any sign that it is private property.
so now when i know i might have to flag it away
kiwisouth  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 June 2010 4:08:06 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Thing is, Nuggetty Creek didn't get that name for nothing, it has been pretty good for crevicing, my type of territory. I'll see if I can get any info when I'm in Murch this next week. Another place I would like to get some info about is the Doughboy
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum