New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

5 Pages123>»
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 1:48:13 PM(UTC)
criticol

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
The "Subject" of this thread means that I "Need" to take my own advice !!!

An easy way to spot “Old” river channels is to observe where the “Willow” or “Punga” trees
(and other "Water" loving plants, like water lilies) are growing on the flatter spots beside the river or stream, These species need a lot of water to survive so they are probably situated on an old stream or river bed. It doesn`t hurt to dig down in one of these locations to hit the Bedrock to have a (Look,see".

Cheers---Colin.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 2:38:26 PM(UTC)
criticol

One thing you will find out about old timers, is that they would not often give you details on what, or where they found their gold, as they just wanted to keep it all quietly to themselves, and not loose their finds to those who would jump a claim, or ding them in the process.
Who can blame them, as there were thousands of others out there looking for any easy gold at all.
Things are a bit different today, you can go fossicking and not see another soul, but it still pays to keep a “Quiet” and quite low profile or somebody will still want part of your find.

If you are So Lucky as to find a good spot, and set up camp to work it, “Do Not Leave” equipment etc, exposed if you have to depart for some time. You can be quite sure that somebody may come across it in a watercourse or wherever, and make it disappear! As one of the members can testify!!

Cheers---Colin.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 3:09:13 PM(UTC)
criticol

If gold is in the area where you are, it will mainly always be found at the lowest point. Gold is about 19 times heavier than water, Quartz rock 2 ½ times, Sandy gravels and most small to large rocks, about 2 times. So you can see why Visible gold, and/or nuggets, will always be found at the bottom of the stream, either within a “False” (usually some sort of clay bottom layer (“Blues” a good color for this) sitting on the bedrock, or on the bedrock itself.
Very fine gold is usually distributed within the top surface layers of sands and shingles, and is much harder to retrieve satisfactorily without specially designed equipments.
(Well, you cant use Cyanide to do this, can you ? )

Cheers---Colin
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 3:33:12 PM(UTC)
criticol

Heres a "Tip" that I "Borrowed" from somewhere sometime ago.( Hope I dont get into trouble if I post it for you.)
I thought it quite good but have never tried it.

I presume that this method could also be used at a "Beach" to check the drift of the sands, or the "Set" of the tide, and Hopefully! it might lodge where all the gold rings do ???

Cheers---Colin.
x-terra steve  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 3:41:58 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi Colin,
I dont think a lot of people out there do in fact realise how heavy gold is.Very fine gold or flood gold can seen sitting on exposed bedrock ect after a decent flood,get down on your hand and knees and have a really good look.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 4:17:20 PM(UTC)
criticol

Dead right Steve.

Hey, do you realise that you`ve just buggered up my "Visable" gold theory!
But at least you have to "Squint" hard to see the little specks of flood gold sitting on the Bedrock---So i`ll let you off.:)

Cheers---colin.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 27 June 2010 4:30:07 PM(UTC)
criticol

criticol wrote:
Heres a "Tip" that I "Borrowed" from somewhere sometime ago.( Hope I dont get into trouble if I post it for you.)
I thought it quite good but have never tried it.

Gold Prospecting Tip of the Week:
Tie a few feet of fishing line to some small lead weights and affix balloons to the line... set it loose down the river and watch where the weights settle - that's a good place to start your hunt for gold.

I presume that this method could also be used at a "Beach" to check the drift of the sands, or the "Set" of the tide, and Hopefully! it might lodge where all the gold rings do ???

P.S. See I did it again! (forgot something, and left the important piece out.)I have tried to insert this into my post. It may not work as I am not the Administrator and cant even "Hack" something

Cheers---Colin.

criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 10:23:38 AM(UTC)
criticol

Hello All.

Below is a Link that you may like to know about to keep you up to date on the latest gold price.

http://www.nzgold.org/nzgoldandsilvercharts.htm

Cheers--- Colin.

Edited by user Thursday, 24 February 2011 8:46:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 5:38:17 PM(UTC)
criticol

Any Gold that enters a river from its sides, does not stay on the sides for long, it tends to get migrated towards the center of the waterway by being subjected to the “Suction” caused by the faster velocity/pressure of the water there, which of course is the strongest current right in the middle of the river when in flood.
Once there it tends to follow the path of this stronger water velocity/pressure flow as it curves around the longest outer bends of the river banks (where due to a “Vortex” (whirlpool) type effect, it tends to get drawn across from this longer outer bend and towards the other shorter (Apex shaped) inner bend of the next lower bend in the river (it tends to drop out of the Main flow round this next inner tighter bend, depending on the strength or severity of the resident floodwaters at the time, but it can be persuaded to continue its journey further down river by the strength of the floodwaters until it subsides into a calmer protected spot.)
This path it follows is commonly called the “Gold line” of the creek, ( its actually the shortest pathway down the creek to the sea.) and that’s why you should look for your gold within this pathway, as all gold attempts to follow this line if it can ! taking many, many rests in its journey to the sea in those quieter backwater spots, where the waters turbulence is lessened by some sort of obstruction in its path, and it is where this occurs, that gold tends to settle out of the waters flow.

Cheers--- Colin.
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 August 2010 3:58:15 PM(UTC)
criticol

Talking about obstructions to a rivers flow.

Did you ever realize that the “Inner” curved parts of a river bed are practically the “Biggest” obtrusive objects in the flow path of a river that it has to get around.
Unimpeded, a river will flow in a “Straight” pathway to the sea, as this presents the shortest possible track.

So, imagine a River that’s flowing along a “Ruler” straight water course.
Create in your mind, a bend in that rivers flow path, and if you really think about it , you will realize that the inner curve that’s created by this bend , actually extends into the waters main flow, and practically “Halfway” or more across the rivers path, right into the “Middle” of the main flow path of the “Ruler” straight river. (depending on the severity of the bend) thereby creating a massive obstruction to its intentions of wanting to flow “Straight” to the sea. (if the bend is very severe, then this Inner curve can extend completely across the “Original” flow path.)

By realizing this, and also that most of the gold is rolling along the riverbed in this “Middle” current flow (gold line) before it comes across an inner curve, then you can see how the gold can become obstructed by the semi-barrier that these inner curves create in it’s way, and therefore it becomes prone to “Settling” at the ‘Upper” stream end of these inner curves.

Cheers---Colin.
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 August 2010 4:32:22 PM(UTC)
criticol

If you ever have occasion to shelter from a severe storm, or a lightning storm when your out in the bush, and do so by seeking refuge in an old mine tunnel that has parts of a quartz reef exposed running along the side, (generally in the ceiling).

And only do this, if you feel that its safe to do so.: Go further into the tunnel and turn off your light.
(It will be really “Pitch Black”)
Let your eyes become accustomed to this darkness, then observe the area where you think the reef is.
If your lucks in, and the lightning etc is flashing outside, you will see “Scintillating” flashes of flickering little lights traveling along the quartz reef in the direction of its strike (pathway) as the Electro Magnetic pulse is conducted along the reef.

Its really fascinating to see this occurrence happening.
But as I said you need to be lucky.

Cheers---Colin.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 August 2010 5:07:45 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
That sounds pretty cool!
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 8 August 2010 9:02:00 AM(UTC)
criticol

Addendum to my earlier post #11 re: “Scintillating Quartz reef”.

I feel that I should maybe try to explain this phenomena a bit more, because “Quartz” itself is an electrically “Non Conductive” substance.

But, if its subjected to "External" pressure, it discharges an electrical impulse.
The ability of Quartz being able to perform this feat is called the “Piezoelectric” effect.
Piezoelectric charge accumulates on quite a few solids that are mainly ‘Crystalline” in character.
You can see this effect in action as you flick the switch of your “Self” igniting Lighter, barbeque, or gas stove etc, which contains a striker that bashes onto a quartz crystal and causes it to produce a “Spark”, which in turn ignites the gas.
(These little sparks only travel for a few millimeters, but can be in a power range of thousands of volts,) (it’s a sort of “Electrostatic” discharge.)

I presume, that the differing pressures caused locally by a storm creates this effect, as the storm itself causes a “Low” pressure zone in the area, which is generally of a “Coolish” nature.
Whilst the lightning causes the immediate airs surrounding its pathways to become Super “Hot” and creates a “High” pressure zone within its locale.

Therefore, and I presume again, (because I don’t really know the specific mechanics of the method.)
That these varying pressures cause the quartz crystals to “Pulsate” by being “Squeezed” one Nano? Second, by one by the lightning’s pulses, and then being relieved of this pressure in the next Nano? Second, to return to their static (non moving) states.

No one has ever said (that I am currently aware of anyway) that quartz crystals can actually conduct electricity, but if they are capable of discharging electricity, then they must be capable of being recharged again if they are to repeat the sequence of being able to discharge again. (otherwise they would remain “Flat” or dead, (like a battery.)

Hope this is quasi correct?

Cheers---Colin.

criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 29 August 2010 5:11:17 PM(UTC)
criticol

Re, Sleeping arrangement for your truck or 4x4 etc.

(Hope you can understand the layout!)

When me and the kids camped out years ago, we used to have a big Khaki and Green tent (12x12 feet sq). So when we when for a Tiki tour of the South Island many years ago, I decided that I wasn't going through all the hassle of putting it up at each stop.
(what with all its poles and such)

So I Slit open the "Rear" panel in the center.(on the rear side of the tent opposite its door opening. This part of the tent then fitted over the windscreen, or the roof,(if you didn't need protection from the frost) of my Land Rover, and this was tied together underneath the chassis.
The rest of this tent was pulled out over the back end of the wagon and formed quite a nice large covered space at the back of the wagon when held up with "ONLY" 2 of the poles, and secured with the tent stays to the ground.

This way it draped over the side windows and kept the frost off the roof. and also kept the moonlight etc, out for sleeping inside the tray of the wagon.
It also gave adequate cover space at the back end for cooking, and storage of the gear which you carry in the back, plus you just walked in and changed out of your wet gear.

It was one of the best ideas I ever had to save tedious work!.
It was so easy and quick to erect (especially if it was raining at the time)
5 minutes and you were snug as a bug in a rug!(instead of the usual 1/2 hour it used to take to put this tent up)"PLUS", as I used to bush bash off the road sides for a couple of meters, I only needed a smaller clear space (2x3 meters ) to erect this cover tent instead of the usual 4x4 square meters before.
What a time saver this modification made).

Just thought that you may like to think about this scenario for your truck or 4x4 etc.
You may be able to pick up one of these old tents at an Army Surplus store.
Believe me you’ll be a happy chappy if you can.

Cheers for now---Colin.

P.P.S. I guess that the same thing could be done with a large tarpaulin too, but you wont have the zip up entrance way.(but you could sew in your own zip,couldn't you?)
roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 1:38:27 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
criticol wrote:

Re, Sleeping arrangement for your truck or 4x4 etc.

(Hope you can understand the layout!)

When me and the kids camped out years ago, we used to have a big Khaki and Green tent (12x12 feet sq). So when we when for a Tiki tour of the South Island many years ago, I decided that I wasn't going through all the hassle of putting it up at each stop.
(what with all its poles and such)

So I Slit open the "Rear" panel in the center.(on the rear side of the tent opposite its door opening. This part of the tent then fitted over the windscreen, or the roof,(if you didn't need protection from the frost) of my Land Rover, and this was tied together underneath the chassis.
The rest of this tent was pulled out over the back end of the wagon and formed quite a nice large covered space at the back of the wagon when held up with "ONLY" 2 of the poles, and secured with the tent stays to the ground.

This way it draped over the side windows and kept the frost off the roof. and also kept the moonlight etc, out for sleeping inside the tray of the wagon.
It also gave adequate cover space at the back end for cooking, and storage of the gear which you carry in the back, plus you just walked in and changed out of your wet gear.

It was one of the best ideas I ever had to save tedious work!.
It was so easy and quick to erect (especially if it was raining at the time)
5 minutes and you were snug as a bug in a rug!(instead of the usual 1/2 hour it used to take to put this tent up)"PLUS", as I used to bush bash off the road sides for a couple of meters, I only needed a smaller clear space (2x3 meters ) to erect this cover tent instead of the usual 4x4 square meters before.
What a time saver this modification made).

Just thought that you may like to think about this scenario for your truck or 4x4 etc.
You may be able to pick up one of these old tents at an Army Surplus store.
Believe me you’ll be a happy chappy if you can.

Cheers for now---Colin.

P.P.S. I guess that the same thing could be done with a large tarpaulin too, but you wont have the zip up entrance way.(but you could sew in your own zip,couldn't you?)

Hi C,

What do you think would work better on a fossicking trip around the islands.... a 4WD converted to a camper... or just a camper? I'm thinking that a 4WD will get you better access but then you have the problem of leaving your vehicle [and all your gear] in the middle of the wops if you tramped further into the hills. Do you think the security of your base vehicle is the prime factor here? If so, perhaps it would be better to have a more conventional camper, park it up in the local camping ground, and go from there. Any thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Roman.

Edited by user Sunday, 5 September 2010 1:39:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MD369  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 2:10:55 PM(UTC)
MD369

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi Roman, What you'll find when you get down here to the South Island is that it is generally really safe to park vehicles at road-ends etc. Totally different to the situation in parts of the NI!
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 2:50:28 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hello Roman.

Yeah mate, don’t exactly know how to give the safest solution to your query.
MD365 is quite right regarding the South island I’m sure.
Not so in the North I’m thinking!

Mind you both islands have their share of thieving sods! Or bxxxxxds.
I’m sure that 4wd Campers are available for hire, so if the right sort of insurance was taken out prior to heading into the bush, then it would be cheaper to arrange this, and let them carry the can as it were. (apart from your own personal valuables and gears, which maybe would be safer hidden in the bush before leaving to explore,
Noting: That you hide the car keys in a different spot that has a distinguishing feature.

The other point I wish to make is that you don’t leave your wagon in a lay-by or a dedicated parking area. These are not the safest places, as a robber? can also park there with immunity whilst casing it out, and then carrying out his nefarious intent.

Of course if you are a Bxxxxxd like me. You could get a 12volt to 250 volt inverter and wire up the wagons door handle, and a few other bits too. (just a thought, to shock you.)

Cheers and regards---Colin.

Edited by user Monday, 6 September 2010 3:36:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 4:42:21 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
come on colin evry1 no,s the safest thing to do is leave a pitt bull on the front seat.....just dont leave him to long else they mite crap all over the steering wheel and chew the interiour up...lol which i mite add is a very funy sight so long as its your m8s wagon and not yours...!!
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 6 September 2010 8:22:32 AM(UTC)
criticol

Hi GBM.

Guess I'm not up with the modern methods of keeping your vehicle safe?

Sounds like a real good solution to this problem anyway.

Often wondered why people did that! I always thought that it was for drug protecting?

Cheers--Colin.
roman holiday  
Posted : Monday, 6 September 2010 12:58:10 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thanks guys, at this stage I'm looking to buy a vehicle... something that I can live in on and off over the course of a year. if I'm going to leave it parked up in the wops for a day or two, the best plan might be not to buy something too flash that would attract unwanted attention. But as has been mentioned, I doubt there is too much risk involved. The good thing about the South Island, is the low population density.... all the more gold for us.^^
5 Pages123>»