New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

5 Pages«<2345>
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 December 2011 9:01:58 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
yep shes a great girl her she is again with her deer and on top of temple col

Whos the sod whose borrowed my beard and my jacket...if you feel in the pockets theres probably still some shotgun cartridges from duck shooting, some .22 bullets for rabbits, possibly a .303 cartridge or two and definitely a few stones for scaring the whitebait into the net!

Great photo Keith - shes certainly a good keen girl.

Edited by user Thursday, 15 December 2011 3:32:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 15 December 2011 11:24:04 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
dont know who the ugly bastard is but he stole my wife as well
hope it was cold enough not to be able to find it
harrop  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 12:20:46 PM(UTC)
harrop

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Before I start on my 10cents worth (inflation adjusted was 2cents) I want people to know I'm not a poo stirrer.
If DOC want possums eliminated then they are going to have to come up with a better way than what they are doing now. They have been using 1080 for a very long time now and there are still possums here. Last roar my girl friend and I stayed in a hut 7hrs walk from the road end and I went out for a pee one night and counted 8 sets of eyes peering back at me from the hut door ( taking traps this year). The hills weren't falling down round our ears and there appeared to be plenty of birdlife around, at the opposite end of the scale I have been in to Pureora forest park a good few years back now after a 1080 drop and I have never heard such a silent forest, to top it all off the waterways were full of laced carrots( got bloody thirsty that day). Please don't drink the water from a drop zone, why you might ask if the authorities say it's safe, because even if they cant detect it doesn't mean it's not there and because nobody actually knows what the long term effects of repeated exposure to small doses will do to you. My Dad spent all his life farming and only now when he hasn't farmed for a long time is he having health problems and thats because of repeated exposure to herbicides of which he hasn't had anything to do with for over 20yrs! I know 1080 isn't a herbicide but it is one of the more toxic poisons known to man!
What about TB I hear you ask as the animal health board repeatedly says "that it could ruin our export industry" Theres a lot of other countries out there that have a tb problem England has it in there badgers I believe, don't see them plastering the country side 1080.
I moved from the Coromandel(was tb free not sure if it still is) to the West coast and brought my dairy cows with me to a bad tb area in fact the farm we moved to was on movement control when we took the job. We were there for 5yrs and never once did we have a problem with tb despite the fact that the herds on both sides of us were on movement control. Funny thing is one of the herds had not long had a tb test that was clear when he sent some cows to the works only to have them rejected for having tb. What I'm getting at here is that stock movement is the biggest spreader of tb, I'm not saying possums don't carry tb we all know they do but if those cows that went to the works were sold after that clear test the guy that purchased them would have been none the wiser until he had a test that may or may not have shown that they had tb. Ever wonder what happens to the animals that have tb show up at the works. It's cut up but instead of being exported it's sold on the local market, before you go stickn your fingers down your throat to get rid of that steak don't panic cause cooking kills it (freezing doesn't). If that's the case why do the AHB go on about tb ruining our export industry, unfortunately I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure if you asked the KNOB from the AHB who got on national TV and told us that 1080 breaks down to the toxicity salt and vinegar chips I'd bet he'd come up with some bullshit answer. On that note did anyone read in the paper a couple of months back that they had recalled a heap of meat from export because it may have been tainted with 1080? NO! It was a tiny tiny little paragraph in the local paper. Now that sort of thing has the potential to reduce this country to 3rd world status. No shit!!!!! I wonder what sort of a country we are leaving for our kids and it really worries me.
If anyone thinks it's safe to eat wild game from outside a drop zone get yourself a copy of the latest outdoor mag and read the article wriiten by Steve Anderson. I went to school with this guy and he always struck me as pretty up. He photgraphed several poisoned deer from 3-5kms outside the drop zone.
I personally believe that in my kids lifetime if not my own that there will be birds and insects that will become extinct without mans intervention(read DOC being heroes) because of this stuff.
One final thought to ponder if this stuff is as safe as they say why does this tiny little country use almost all the worlds supply of it.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 1:27:37 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Harrop - you are as long winded as I am - all good!

New Zealand is a sick country run by sick politicians and sick Civil Servants who havent a clue what they are on about - highly qualified text book experts get all the top jobs - jobs based on text book learning...Oops indoctrination, brainwashing and propaganda.

For starters do away with a lot of the synthetic fibres and bring back good old Merino wool, Angora and yes Opposum fur and skins - put a good bounty on them - put the unemployed into trapping and over and above their benefit give them bonuses for results.

I think Harrop that what we have here is a snide and sneaky government and DOC who wish to get rid of ALL feral animals within this country - they dont give one iota about the rights of the hunter - they want ALL mammals dead and gone - the hidden agenda - it isnt just Opossums - its everything outside of the farm boundary - hence the use of 1080

As for 1080 we hear conflicting evidence for its use and I for one went to a course ot hear of its affects and the disc I got from the course is sitting beside me right at this moment - I hear what others say and my only comment against it might relate to flinging it around willy nilly but if its to be cost effective then maybe that has to be done.

Personally I think that it can have its place, there are other alternatives, there are more selective ways of going about things but the fact remains that with the introduction of so many exotic species whether insect, birds, mammals or plants this country is DOOMED to creating its own natural balance between exotic and indigenous but Department of Constipation are only delaying the inevitable by nuking the countryside with poison whether it be for Opossums, Wilding pines or Larches, deer, pigs etc.

As far as I am concerned let the country achieve its own balance without the interference of man and try to stock the remaining native species on the islands off shore to protect them and keep those places free of exotics whether it be rats or Opossums, pines or gorse.

At the end of the day here on the mainland DOC in their stupidity will have us all turned into genetically malformed mutants with the amount of poison they are liberally splattering everywhere - and I am not talking about 1080 but rather everything including the saturation of areas covered in unwanted exotic plant species...DOCs motto - 'If in Doubt Nuke it Out'

Edited by user Thursday, 9 February 2012 1:31:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 2:38:28 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

this is a gold forum not a 1080 bashing site
before you go on about 1080 get the facts straigth ive been in the bush for the last few days hand laying the stuff
i smoked and ate while doing so i now have a funny twitch in my left ball is that because of 1080 or smoking
if you want to go shouting of hear both sides of the coin im not saying im for 1080 but some one has to do it and i dont mind putting my hand out for $$$$$ to play with the stuff at the same time carry a pan round for when lunch comes round

I SAY SUPPORT 1080 AND DOC THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE DOING THIS COUNTRY A REALLY WORTHWHILE SERVICE
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 3:17:56 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i'm staying out of the 1080 debate as i know little about the stuff.

what i will say is that from my experience working for doc, knowing doc staff, dealing with doc etc, it sure is a f**ded up department.

sure they try and do good. trouble is there are more pen pushing staff than staff that work out in the field actually achieving stuff.

a lot of the work is now contracted out (remember cave creek) so that external people can be blamed when things go wrong.

locally doc at present seems to be hell bent on wasting money even though it's always in short supply as they have way to much land to take care of.

a perfect example is the upcoming "deletion" of the popular carpark at the 12 mile, deemed by doc to be a hazard as its on a piece of road with limited visibility. that said i can't remember any accidents there ever. all that is really wrong there is the road verge needs build up and some tarseal thrown down. instead a new carpark is being built, adding a 1km round trip to get to where the track used to start. funny thing is now it's pedestrians in the firing line on the same stretch of road with the dodgy visibility. me thinks it's all about stopping the freedom campers from parking up for free in the old carpark. this could easily be rectified by getting the new resident manager of the 12 mile campground to patrol the spot.

i previously mentioned the doc effort to widen the loop track at the 12 mile also. the buggers who blasted the track blocked off the entire flow of the creek with debris. as i pointed out to a few people out there several large chunks of rock have hit the trees and rockface down in the creek where people fossick, gouging out some good sized holes in the tree trunks and ground. glad i wasn't around when that happened.

while on the topic i will also point out the 2 faced approach there seems to be with many issues.

when i was out at one spot with a doc staffer he noted someone taking some gravel. well, at the same spot once i noted a doc staffer, in company vehicle and uniform, selecting rocks and removing them, i'm guessing for their garden.

i could go on all day with examples but i will finish with this tidbit

i always laugh at lammerlaw's name for this outfit - dept of constipation!

keep it up lammerlaw, you always bring a laugh and a lot of info to this site.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 3:22:55 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

this is a gold forum not a 1080 bashing site
before you go on about 1080 get the facts straigth ive been in the bush for the last few days hand laying the stuff
i smoked and ate while doing so i now have a funny twitch in my left ball is that because of 1080 or smoking
if you want to go shouting of hear both sides of the coin im not saying im for 1080 but some one has to do it and i dont mind putting my hand out for $$$$$ to play with the stuff at the same time carry a pan round for when lunch comes round

I SAY SUPPORT 1080 AND DOC THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE DOING THIS COUNTRY A REALLY WORTHWHILE SERVICE

I had to vote to support or not support 1080 Keith and I supported it on the basis of the information I have here and heard from the course I went to but I DO bash DOC - for endless reasons nearly - If it was not for the local conservator for Otago then DOC would have got National media coverage over a matter with which they and I have an agreement over...a signed document in which they broke the conditions of the agreement. It does however go further than that - are they doing the right thing wiping out wilding trees by the use of poisons and more or less saturation poisoning areas where the exotics are actually modifying the landscape in a manner which could hardly be called unattractive such as in Queenstown and other areas.

I noted in the paper yesterday that an extinct bird had been discovered somewhere and DOC was going to ensure it bred to survive - Number one - its wasnt bloody well extinct in the first place otherwise how could an extinct bird turn up? It seemed to have survived very well thank you without DOCs interference! I sure in hell hope they dont do the 'snail trick' to the birds eggs! In the case of the snails wouldnt a pratical organisation merely have taken them straight to another location, released them in a natural environment where man could not make a fatal faux pas and then merely monitor them? No - too risky so they went into the laboratory where they got cooked to death!

I also have a working relationship with them on two separate stages - one ownership of my place and the covenant I have placed on it to protect it...on this matter I shall say nothing. The other is within another capacity...I was most enlightened and intrigued when they brought up the matter of didymo and the measures to prevent it spreading complete with brochures and other promotional items, car stickers etc and then in the next breath show me a brochure with a 4WD vehicle fording a stream somewhere but no mention of cleaning down the 4WD to prevent the spread of didymo!..in one breath activity campaigning to stop it and in the other promoting an actiuvity which will spread it!

A Takahe got shot by a DOC staff member - not only is it a case of identifying a target beyond all reasonable doubt but clearly a case of someone doing a job who clearly should not have been otherwise the mistake would not have been made.

I have also had some interesting meetings with some DOC staff who are arrogant and worthless and in all cases totally one eyed as to THEIR cause and with an inabiity to deal with opposing thoughts and other people - no human relationship skills.

In the course of a personal discussion with elements within DOC they stated that - "their are too many half witted text book intellectual dreamers' within DOC" but there are also lots of great people within DOC but no one will convince me that by and large they dont a shake up in certain areas. I daresay Keith that in your situation you do deal with the realists and frontline guys who had their training with the old Internal Affairs and New Zealand Forest Service and dont have a string of University textbook qualifications strung onto the end of their names because therein lies the difference! These are the people who have the best answers as to coping with the pests and problems we have because despite their lack of university qualifications they have hands on practical experience, can think outside the square and are not one eyed and bigotted. I have dealings with these people and they themselves have told me what they think of some of the staff...especially in the large city offices.
5AMP  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 3:34:08 PM(UTC)
5AMP

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I agree with Keith.

Harrop says"I personally believe that in my kids lifetime if not my own that there will be birds and insects that will become extinct without mans intervention(read DOC being heroes) because of this stuff. "
I presume he is talking about 1080 causing the extinction although that is not clear.
I would put it the opposite way around.Where I live I hadn't seen Tui's etc for years but got possums dancing on the roof almost every night.Then the possums were poisoned maybe not by 1080( but I believe other poisons are more dangerous) and now the place is full of native birds and native trees flourish so I also say good on DOC -if we want our kids to enjoy native forests and birds the results of poisoning programmes speak for themselves and in many places 1080 is the only viable option.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 4:40:40 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: 5AMP Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Keith.

Harrop says"I personally believe that in my kids lifetime if not my own that there will be birds and insects that will become extinct without mans intervention(read DOC being heroes) because of this stuff. "
I presume he is talking about 1080 causing the extinction although that is not clear.
I would put it the opposite way around.Where I live I hadn't seen Tui's etc for years but got possums dancing on the roof almost every night.Then the possums were poisoned maybe not by 1080( but I believe other poisons are more dangerous) and now the place is full of native birds and native trees flourish so I also say good on DOC -if we want our kids to enjoy native forests and birds the results of poisoning programmes speak for themselves and in many places 1080 is the only viable option.

It is interesting to see that there are as many opinions as there are people - the only question I will ever ask re 1080 is WHY dont they use it overseas? I dont know and havent bothered to find out - I did attend a long winded meeting to hear the pros and cons and I had to vote to support it or withdraw support in accordance with the information we were given and that information came from all parties so the decision was a very well informed one and I for one supported it. As for overseas - I assume the answer lies in the DVD presentation I have in my drawer beside me but I really cannot be bothered looking.

I do however ask if there are better alternatives in view of the fact that it is credited with wiping out a great number of deer...apparently. I know that years ago on my own property I had a campaign to get rid of Opossums and had one dog and a lot of traps and within a relatively short time had indeed more or less knocked them right back to few and far between plus a good many stoats and ferrets. Although trapping is man hour demanding it is also a good way to keep numbers down. In truth there are a lot of good ways to keep the numbers down but it comes down to what is most practical, cost efficient in proportion to effectiveness of results.

Harrop is correct when he says that there are birds and insects which may become extinct without mans interference but take note that MOST extinctions in New Zealand are actually due to mans interference...so it is actually man who has got us into this mess!

Edited by user Thursday, 9 February 2012 4:43:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 6:14:11 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

well now the lawns are mowed etc i have more time
1080 is a 3 way killer opposums and rats are the main things killed and i mite say very effective the 3rd is stoats they eat rats so if no rats the stoats either die or go for the birds
dont take me the wrong way im not a fan for 1080 but there is at this stage no other alternative for arial dropping there are areas in this country that one would not pay me enough to walk to hand lay the stuff
i agree that doc are controled by people in higher places that wouldnt even know what a tree looks like i got heaps of imfo that i could share but it may cost me my job as i like getting paid for walking round the bush i will not pass on
there are other poisons eg cynide , ferotos (spelling) etc none can be laided by helicoptor yes a few years ago mistakes were made in the application of 1080 but today the rules are far more controled all fight paths are gps so if there is a problem then one can refer to the flight logs etc i handle most of the poisons and find 1080 the most safest one to deal with
yes i to have seen many acts by doc that are beyond believe but what else do you get from a gov dept thats in the limelight all the time remeber the alldays of the mow, railways, etc

my last post was abit tounge in cheek but got some truths
as for eating animals we split the gut bag open to check for 1080 if the deer etc has consumed 1080 then its either dead or got it in the gut dont touch if clear i personally eat it that dont mean its safe its just may be the cause of my left ball having problems

the correct name is "sodium fluoroacetate (1080) what to know more refer to " www.cpa.govt.nz "
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 9 February 2012 9:31:29 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

well now the lawns are mowed etc i have more time
1080 is a 3 way killer opposums and rats are the main things killed and i mite say very effective the 3rd is stoats they eat rats so if no rats the stoats either die or go for the birds
dont take me the wrong way im not a fan for 1080 but there is at this stage no other alternative for arial dropping there are areas in this country that one would not pay me enough to walk to hand lay the stuff
i agree that doc are controled by people in higher places that wouldnt even know what a tree looks like i got heaps of imfo that i could share but it may cost me my job as i like getting paid for walking round the bush i will not pass on
there are other poisons eg cynide , ferotos (spelling) etc none can be laided by helicoptor yes a few years ago mistakes were made in the application of 1080 but today the rules are far more controled all fight paths are gps so if there is a problem then one can refer to the flight logs etc i handle most of the poisons and find 1080 the most safest one to deal with
yes i to have seen many acts by doc that are beyond believe but what else do you get from a gov dept thats in the limelight all the time remeber the alldays of the mow, railways, etc

my last post was abit tounge in cheek but got some truths
as for eating animals we split the gut bag open to check for 1080 if the deer etc has consumed 1080 then its either dead or got it in the gut dont touch if clear i personally eat it that dont mean its safe its just may be the cause of my left ball having problems

the correct name is "sodium fluoroacetate (1080) what to know more refer to " www.cpa.govt.nz "

Well Keith I have one up on you - my wife mows the lawn and not me - she owns the lawn mower! I dont think people realise the damage done by Stoats and Ferrets. Itsw kind of strange that DOC has suddenly become the subject of discussion today as I have just been notified that I have to travel through to Canterbury next weekend for a meeting with - Shh dont tell anyone - DOC

I think the stuff you meant above is Ferrotox which is Potassium Cyanide
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 10 February 2012 12:05:48 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 5AMP Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Keith.

MMMMMM......DOC......1080.........
I know for a fact that DOC very successfully erradicated all the blue ducks in the Moonlight Creek (west coast) because of a netting operation that back fired on them. The plan was to catch & release in other areas where the ducks were vanashing from. Result was though that the netting broke the wings & injured many ducks. The result was that the injured ducks that sort of got away ended up dead because they could not fly or dive down in the water to get food or paddle about due to their injuries. Others just pissed off & didnt come back & when I was there two years ago the were just two blue ducks left & the trouble was that they were both males. You could hear them calling & calling for a mate but there were no females to be had. Bet you never read that in the papers......

As to 1080......I spend a lot of time in the Coromandel bush. I can go in there & never hear a bird all day long. Geeee.....I wonder why that is??????........Its not rocket science.....
Mans intervention will always fuk up everything....not matter what. It is just a matter of time & time is going pretty quick. Human greed knows no bounds.

JW
harrop  
Posted : Friday, 10 February 2012 12:16:11 AM(UTC)
harrop

Sorry Keith didn't mean to upset anyone. I just think future generations are going to shake there heads and wonder what the hell we were thinking.
This country has a fixation with poison and we've cocked it up in the past. DDT is a classic example. There are still places where you cant graze dairy cows in the winter yet they can still crop it and sell the crop whch ends up getting eaten by us. Every day we consume all manner of foods that have at some stage in there life have more than likely been sprayed with a fungicide or herbicide that according to the manufacturer is safe to sprayed within x number of days harvest yet nobody has done the research to see what the long term effects of supposedly safe consumption of these poisons are. Lots of poisons build up in your system over time
who knows what the long term effects of minute doses of 1080 could do to you or worse could you end up passing some problem on to your children. Nobody knows. I often wonder if this why our child cancer rates are getting so bad. Sad but true.
On a lighter note I'd bet good money that if if you took your twitchy nut to the doctor he'd say it was smoking related because you smoke!
It's funny how my grandparents generation of smokers that I knew all died of old age. I know of one person who smoked to the age of 90. Makes me wonder if the diet of less chemicals had something to do with it. Something to ponder
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 10 February 2012 7:48:15 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi harrop
im not upset just like to stir up the pot but i do agree with your comments re the toxic nature of the flow on effect who knows what one is going to end up with due to all the shit we spread round
here is a good one brittain invented 1080 why now is it banned in that country USA says that if you lay the stuff you have to retrive it in other words pick it up after using it.... why??? its not that bad we spray it round out of choppers after all its basicly harmless yes it kills birds keas in southwestland the bush dies after the droping some will say that the bird life returns better but if you study its at the detrament of surrounding areas

mr bird who loves to feed on a certain tree lives down the valley you drop 1080 on the ridge and kill mr agressive bullie bird and now mr timid bird can relocate to that ridge dont know if that helps but the surounding area depletes of birds and they spread out to fill back in the gaps

i was at a loading site the other day there were wekas running round one decided to eat a little green food nut gess what happened

i think that now we should debated the pros and cons of smoking haha

harrop  
Posted : Friday, 10 February 2012 11:21:23 AM(UTC)
harrop

I think that now we should debated the pros and cons of smoking haha

Cheers Keith. Only problem with that is that all us smokers know the only con is the that it costs so bloody much to smoke these days lol. Reckon Im paying $60+ a week in tax on smokes. Went up to the claim the other day and instead of taking any tobacco I put on one those patches. Wondered why at the end of the day I was so bloody ratty turns out when you get hot and sweaty the bloody things fall off. 1st fag that night tasted pretty bloody yummy. BTW I'm pretty jealous that you get to trapse off into the wilds killin coons for a living. Have to be the best office in the world!!!! considering getting a bunch of traps and heading into the backblocks somewhere for winter. Have fallen under the spell of the mighty Whitcombe. It's my favourite place on the planet.
In the last year my 14yr old son has been bitten by the hunting bug bigtime and I took him in there for a few days. Didn't get to shoot any deer but we got real close to one in the bush just couldn't get a clear shot. Well now he's under the spell of that river to.
Afterwards he said to me he was glad I didn't say to have a shot coz he was shaking that much that he didn't reckon he would hit.
It's a shame more kids don't get out there as I'm sure the world would be a better place
He was pretty ill for a few years when he was younger and because he spent so much time laid up he had an x box and all the crap that kids cant seem to do without these days, since he got into hunting ALL that crap is gone, sold his xbox.
Can't wait til the roar, hopeing his 1st deer is a roaring stag.
Cheers
Chris
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 10 February 2012 1:28:01 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi chris
just great to hear your boy goes with you mine is 32 and still plays xbox games
sitting down at lunch the other day in my office large trees virgin forest birds fluttering round creek bubbling etc and said to myselk im getting paid to sit hear in this shit hole office yeap life is what you make it there is nothing in my world that cant be fixed by me or by something that i can do i follow the budda teachings a little so you may get my drift

where is your claim? always looking for a fellow hunter i dont always carry my gun and of course see deer when i dont
i carry a 223 single shot cut down to min length so it slides through the bush just great not allowed to carry it in the chopper
when im getting paid to ride to the tops eat your heart out chris old boy

stay in touch as we have a thar hunt coming up you may be interested in although been 60 this year im starting to slow down alittle but walking 10 days out of 14 in the bush still keeps me going then golding on my days of

good luck for the roar not to keen on hunting in the raw but did get a good stag 2 years ago 10 points and 245 on the douglas score
i see your from greymouth give me your number as im working in the kaiata area at the present we could do a hunt one evening or just catch up for a bull shit story session
cheers

Edited by user Friday, 10 February 2012 1:32:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 10 February 2012 2:15:21 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Wish I could get my boy off the computer. I enjoyed technology when i was young but was always out building trolleys, treehuts, tunnels etc and going to catch lobsters in the creek and frogs from the pond. Cant get my kids to do any of that. They say its "boring". I say they are boring!

They absolutely hate me metal detecting also and the sandflies put them off the first time out prospecting so after that they stayed in the car listening to mp3 players and on their laptops. All of which was sneaked into the car before the trip.

I would love to spend all day walking around the bush. Nothing beats exactly what you described Keith. Native bush, birds singing, sound of a slow creek or waterfall nearby........sigh sure beats rumbling machinery knocking down a quaketorn city. The wifes getting her back operated on next week so cant go anywhere until she heals. Even then I cant see her scrambling up creeks over rocks etc very easily for a while. She would hate to miss a trip as she has the fever as bad as me now. :)

So thanks for the stories as its as close as I can get to the outdoors at the moment.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
harrop  
Posted : Saturday, 11 February 2012 6:05:44 PM(UTC)
harrop

Hey Keith that sounds like a plan. Will pm you.
That sounds like a pretty decent head to score that high as a 10. Must have been in the 35-40 size bracket? Shot my best head a couple of years ago.Would have like to have caught up with him a couple of years earlier as he appeared old ,coronets down near the skull, manky teeth and his skull was pretty well fused also he was wider than long. arond 35in wide and 30 long. Will try to post a pic here.
Chrischch. My kids aren't into the gold thing but they are into fishing my son caught his best trout while I was checkn out some cracks above the flood zone. Sandflies are a bastard when they are biting and some places are worse than others I just wear longs and slap a bit of repellant on as a last resort. Some of the sandflies in the back country are insane I often wonder what the hell they live on when we aren't there. At least they go to sleep at night mozzies don't!!!!!! My girlfriend works in a camera shop and both my kids have cameras so they cruise around taking photos as well, its amazing the random things that kids take photos of some of them are bloody good too.
Theres a cage across the Hoki river that give kids a real thrill.
What did it for Josh was seeing a wild creature that close going about its daily business in a true wilderness. Shoulda seen his face.
Now he cant wait til the roar. Me either for that matter.
Cheers
Chris
harrop  
Posted : Saturday, 11 February 2012 6:22:09 PM(UTC)
harrop

Hmm Not sure how to put a photo on here.
harrop  
Posted : Saturday, 11 February 2012 6:24:32 PM(UTC)
harrop

Here tis
harrop attached the following image(s):
DSCN0117.JPG
5 Pages«<2345>