New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

diggerjoe  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 January 2012 7:50:48 AM(UTC)
diggerjoe

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Found this shark's tooth when fossicking around Bushy Beach in Oamaru a while back.

I believe it comes from a shark known as C. Megalodon often depicted as a giant great white.

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 January 2012 8:51:28 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
wow that is quit a find.i have found a few fossils down around that area but nothing like that..good going
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 January 2012 8:53:05 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Without a doubt that is the best Sharks tooth I have seen from New Zealand - an Award winner if ever there was one. Ask the opinion of Geoff Fathers in Oamary - if anyone has seen an Oamaru or any New Zealand one that size, near that size or bigger then Geoff will know - I havent.

I have seen a lot bigger but not from New Zealand - A fellow came to see me and he had the best one I have ever seen and it had a world rating - I think he said that it was the sixth largest recorded and stood a good six inches tall.
o
Yours is a cracker and I would much rather have it than a larger foreign one...the best of finds - I would get more kick from finding that than I would get from a 1 1/2 gramme gold nugget which would be of comparable value.

Carcharodon Megalodon will indeed be the fellow who owned it...they made Jaws look like whitebait! This one came from the US of A but the one the fellow brought here was an inch taller again and absolutely perfect.

You can see that your one compares very competitively with ones which command around $150 on the International Market so an absolutely fantastic find...I love it. If you put it on Trademe or decide to sell then let me know!

Edited by user Wednesday, 4 January 2012 3:17:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw attached the following image(s):
001 (500x375).jpg
005 (500x416).jpg
crisyboy  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 January 2012 6:40:27 PM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
WOW awesome find where in the heck?