New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Jim  
Posted : Sunday, 25 July 2010 7:27:53 AM(UTC)
Jim

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Rough Science is on TV One I think. It's a TV Series where they have a handful of scientists (Chemist, Botanists, Physics, Engineers etc...) and they send them on a mission. Series 3 was based on the West Coast of the South Island and is 6 episodes long. Their mission was to get enough gold off the coast by primitive methods, smelt it and then turn it into some kind of souvenir.

Episode 1:
Find gold in river, make a metal detector, create super accurate scales

Episode 2:
Make a giant panning machine, and make cosmetics out of Lanolin.

Episode 3:
Use different materials to Waterproof sheets for tents, putting it up in the bush, and making a seismograph

Episode 4:
Meausre the speed of the Frans Josef glacier with primitive methods, create ice lens (magnifying glass made of ice), and hand warmers (chemical reaction in plastic bag).

Episode 5:
Extract gold from rock and sand, build an altimeter, use home made metal detector (pretty crap one :) )

Episode 6:
They create a homemade oven with billows to smelt the gold. Then turn into souverirs

Reference: http://www.open2.net/roughscience3/

I heard about this TV Series after it was on, so I downloaded off the internet (1.9GB).

You may be able to find this on YouTube, but if you want to keep it permanently in your computer you would need to do the following (there is probably more ways to skin the cat).

1. Know how much data you have left on your Internet Connection for the months so your ISP does not overcharge your for 2 GB

2. Download MicroTorrent (program to download torrents): http://www.utorrent.com/
* don't leave this program on when not using it! You need to close it by your Time down bottom right of screen (system tray).

3. Get the torrent file for Rough Science series 3: http://isohunt.com/downl...science+series+3.torrent
* you can configure the torrent to download episode 1 before the other episodes.
**Edit: Once you have downloaded that .torrent file, you need to open it with MicroTorrent (utorrent) and then it will download the movies listed in that .torrent file. Drag and drop works too.

4. Once downloaded, if the video's don't play, get the VLC player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If you are not too internet savvy and you want me to answer any questions on this process then give me a bell on 021 124 7596

Edited by user Sunday, 25 July 2010 10:13:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 25 July 2010 1:06:57 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Cheers for the tip Jim - sounds interesting. Downloading now, though there doesn't seem to be many seeders so could take a while!

Edited by user Sunday, 25 July 2010 1:19:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jim  
Posted : Sunday, 25 July 2010 2:58:53 PM(UTC)
Jim

Try ftp://219.89.112.94:50001
That will only be up temp (I can spare 6 GB).

user gold
pass gold

Edited by user Sunday, 25 July 2010 4:32:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 25 July 2010 5:04:01 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers Jim - much appreciated :)
Jim  
Posted : Sunday, 25 July 2010 5:05:34 PM(UTC)
Jim

If ya timed out, I just set it to no timeout - saw ya download a little bit then disconnect
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 25 July 2010 5:24:35 PM(UTC)
gavin

The torrent download suddenly picked up speed and looked like it would download faster than the ftp so figured I'd spare your bandwidth ;)
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 July 2010 11:50:30 AM(UTC)
gavin

Watched the first 2 episodes so far. Quite interesting so far - cheers :) Though you can tell it was on TV a while back - everyone looks a little retro! :P
Jim  
Posted : Thursday, 29 July 2010 5:05:54 AM(UTC)
Jim

Cool. It's a nice leisurly pace and a bit of humour so I suppose you can say it's easy watching. Watched the last episode again the other night and picked up some extra stuff so I better rewatch the series some time soon. Also need to review how the chemist extracted mercury from Cinnabar.