New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

dudlite  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 6:24:48 PM(UTC)
dudlite

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey guy's i was looking around Hamilton for a place to hunt and stumbled across this old looking building. I went and asked a women over the fence next to it about it and she told me it was an old ammunition factory. She is leasing all the land out for her horses and said i am allowed to detect there. I checked for a short amount of time and was non stop getting hits. In the 15 minutes i was there i dug up some old shells and some parts of a gun i believe. It seems like no one has been through there before with a detector which is awesome. If anyone want's to have a look the address is 418 Dey St, Hamilton East, Hamilton. I found out information about it Here.

Cheers Dave

Also Here is the google map link to the place so you can have a look. You can see it through the trees. Click Here

Edited by user Tuesday, 20 March 2012 6:27:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DrunkBrother  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 6:38:14 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dudlite Go to Quoted Post
Hey guy's i was looking around Hamilton for a place to hunt and stumbled across this old looking building. I went and asked a women over the fence next to it about it and she told me it was an old ammunition factory. She is leasing all the land out for her horses and said i am allowed to detect there. I checked for a short amount of time and was non stop getting hits. In the 15 minutes i was there i dug up some old shells and some parts of a gun i believe. It seems like no one has been through there before with a detector which is awesome. If anyone want's to have a look the address is 418 Dey St, Hamilton East, Hamilton. I found out information about it Here.

Cheers Dave

Also Here is the google map link to the place so you can have a look. You can see it through the trees. Click Here

You are really brave posting this location before you finished detecting it :-)
As Andrew and me might go over there as well :-)
thanks for the location,
any chance to have contact number of land owner? so we can check before coming ?

thanks,
Max
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
dudlite  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 6:48:26 PM(UTC)
dudlite

It's actually owned by the council but the lady leasing it said she doesn't mind people metal detecting there. She did ask me to look out for an old gold ring she lost a few years back near the fence line when she was feeding the horses. Sorry no contact number though. Good luck at the spot, it's quite a big area so i'm sure there is plenty of stuff! Just having a closer look at the gun part i have now it seems to be part of a 44 caliber gun or possibly a 1944 gun not quite sure. More likely 1944 in date since that is the time they where making shells there.

Dave.
Kauri  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 6:48:51 PM(UTC)
Kauri

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
lmao i was thinking the same as its 10 mins from my work...... RACE YA!!!
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 6:57:08 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Boys,
Just keep area clean and do not attract to many watchers,
Also be carefull when making plugs and do not kill yourself with old bullet or explosives.

*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
dudlite  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 7:01:34 PM(UTC)
dudlite

Hahaha that would be a crazy way to go, blown up while metal detecting.