New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

hoppy  
Posted : Saturday, 31 March 2012 9:31:27 PM(UTC)
hoppy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
From the trawling of internet a little history......

The year was 1950 and the United States was in the midst of a craze believed by some to have been even larger than the gold rush of 1849. While some searched for gold or silver, most prospectors could be found walking the desert listening to the clicks and pops of their Geiger counter.
Uranium was on everyone’s mind and with good reason. The government was guaranteeing $3.50 per pound of recoverable uranium oxide and a bonus of $10,000 for the discovery of new high-grade deposits. Successful prospectors were being paid over $150,000 per month!
Two of these hopeful uranium hunters were Olive and Ken White, Sr. Most Geiger counters required headphones. This concept did work, but, as Mr. White discovered, it proved problematic in rattlesnake country. He eventually developed his own design and approached the leading manufacturers, but was rejected.
Rather than throwing in the towel, he decided to manufacture them himself at a rate of one per day. His products were well received and within seven years he had 65 employees.
Then, in 1958, White’s was thrown a curve ball when the government announced they would no longer buy uranium. The future of this growing business was uncertain until a former dealer from Tombstone, Arizona, persuaded Mr. White to build him a metal detector.
On his first outing with the new detector, the dealer found a Spanish spur, several artifacts, a large piece of silver, and a few coins. The results of this successful field test were published along with Mr. White’s name and address.
Ex-uranium hunters and hobbyists alike embraced his detector and once again the orders started pouring in. This marked the beginning of the White’s Electronics we know today.
(From page 36 of the November, 2010 issue of Lost Treasure)

.......and I only now start detecting?????Wondered why "goodies" were far apart!!!

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 31 March 2012 11:29:33 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
excellent piece of history thank you
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 1 April 2012 3:08:33 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Interesting, thanks for that. I sure hope you copied and pasted rather than typing all that!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
hoppy  
Posted : Monday, 2 April 2012 10:15:14 AM(UTC)
hoppy

Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Interesting, thanks for that. I sure hope you copied andThat would have taken mepasted rather than typing all that!

Sure did! Two fingers just don't go that fast!!!. Seems a waste of energy typing whats already done n'est pas? I enjoyed the article (credit given to Lost Treasure) finding it interesting how things get started and why. Now how did Minelab get started?
expat  
Posted : Monday, 2 April 2012 1:36:40 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hoppy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Interesting, thanks for that. I sure hope you copied andThat would have taken mepasted rather than typing all that!

Sure did! Two fingers just don't go that fast!!!. Seems a waste of energy typing whats already done n'est pas? I enjoyed the article (credit given to Lost Treasure) finding it interesting how things get started and why. Now how did Minelab get started?

A far more recent history for Minelab it appears. http://www.detect4gold.com/6.htm

On a far far more important note........How comes this is my third post but I'm still credited with a grand total of 0 ??

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
hoppy  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 April 2012 11:20:11 AM(UTC)
hoppy

A far more recent history for Minelab it appears. http://www.detect4gold.com/6.htm

Thanks for that!!! So pleased Minelab produced detectors that could handle Auzzie soil as we are not much different in places. I have had a lot of fun with my X-Terra 705......On and on and Up and up......now where's that gold?! Have to yet find my first piece of nugget, but have found processed gold so guess I shall have to be happy with that for now.