New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

x-terra steve  
Posted : Thursday, 8 April 2010 5:05:14 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi to all,
my name is Steve Prentice.
I reside in Nelson and have been chasing gold for about the past eight years.
I started fossicking as most do, not knowing what I was doing and it doesn't help that I am a dam slow learner!!
I was fortunate enough to met some great people up the river who gave me a starting point in my quest to satisfy
my hunger to find the elusive yellow stuff.
Sad to say the hunger has only increased over the years and there appears there may be no end to this syndrome!.
Detecting for gold is my bliss, I reckon it is about the most rewarding hobby one can have.
If any of you are starting out detecting let me know as I may be able to save you from falling into the many pit falls that are out there.
All the best
Steve
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 9 April 2010 4:16:11 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Steve,

Great to see you on the forums :)

I've just started out with a detector and was a little disapointed after spending 4 hours up a creek around Reefton and only finding an old rusty shovel probably used by the original prospectors. So I for one would love to hear any tips you can give! ;)

It's a C-Scope CS3MX Metal Detector which I think is probably geared more towards finding coins, but I should imagine it'd be able to pick up a nugget if one's around. Was a present from my parents over in the UK.

The creek I was up was very rocky. Any idea easy it is to pick up a signal through rocks? I had discrimination turned off to give it the best possible chance of picking up a signal.

I look forward to hearing any advice you might give.

Cheers,
Gavin
x-terra steve  
Posted : Friday, 9 April 2010 3:53:55 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi Gavin,

thanks for the reply.

Here is a few of my views on getting started with detecting up the river.

1, Top of the list is make sure the river, stream etc that you are detecting has produced gold at some time.

2, That the detector you are using is capable of detecting small gold,about the size of a match head and smaller is ideal. Most of the gold that I recovere is from the crevices,cracks etc and nine times out of ten the gold will be wedged in and not presenting a large surface area for your detector to pick up on. Unless the over-burden is very shallow I don't detect it as it could be ten meters deep.

3,Get to know your detector, have a test bed outside and spend plenty of time using it, get to know its limitations.

4,Set realistic expectations for oneself, be very very patient, it took me over eighty hours detecting until I found my first piece (I still feel sorry for my partner!).

5, If you can find someone that has experience detecting tag along for the day.

6, Enjoy the day,and try not to get frustrated if things aren't going your way.

7, Be aware that there are many dangers that one can face while out there doing it,top two would be for me falling rocks and very slipery river stones, tell some one where you are going and what time you are due back.

I hope that gives you a few steps in the right direction.

I'm in Nelson and spend a fare bit of time up the Wakamarina mainly detecting although I have a claim and do a bit of dredging when I feel the need to.

My weapon of choice is a X-Terra 70 with 6" double D 18.5khz coil, a fantastic little machine for crevicing. It has paid for itself many times over.

Keep in touch and if you still have no joy let me know and if you like we can tee up a trip.

Cheers Steve

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 10 April 2010 11:22:43 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Thanks for that Steve - much appreciated :)

Know what you mean about those slippery river rocks!

Hoping to get away next weekend to have another play. Got myself a new toy - a Nissan Safari, so looking forward to exploring a bit more off-road.

Always keen to hook up with other prospectors for a mini adventure as always keen to pick up a few tips.

No worries about patience... I find the search for gold more an excuse to go exploring off the beaten track. Just nice to get in to the bush :)