New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

East-Auck-Fossicker  
Posted : Monday, 7 May 2012 8:47:32 PM(UTC)
East-Auck-Fossicker

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Last Sunday morning, three of us with metal detectors left East Auckland for Browns Bay. We first pop into the flea market and found a few bargins and cheap veggs. Then we detected Browns Bay where we found a few coins and I found a 1870 coin - token.Then we did three other beaches heading south. Normally when we go detecting, it's very rare to see anyone else with a detector. Last Sunday everyone who had a detector I think came out of the wood work ! We talked to a few people including two very nice gentleman at two different beaches. And when talking about what they had found. Their stories sounded like tall fishermen tales. But hey, I could be wrong ! Any way, beatiful weather and good fun had by all.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 7 May 2012 9:02:27 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: East-Auck-Fossicker Go to Quoted Post
Last Sunday morning, three of us with metal detectors left East Auckland for Browns Bay. We first pop into the flea market and found a few bargins and cheap veggs. Then we detected Browns Bay where we found a few coins and I found a 1870 coin - token.Then we did three other beaches heading south. Normally when we go detecting, it's very rare to see anyone else with a detector. Last Sunday everyone who had a detector I think came out of the wood work ! We talked to a few people including two very nice gentleman at two different beaches. And when talking about what they had found. Their stories sounded like tall fishermen tales. But hey, I could be wrong ! Any way, beatiful weather and good fun had by all.

Funny you should mention it but I had a similar experience and wondered about the amount of jewelry one guy told me he had been finding recently.
Perhaps this warm weather is expanding the minds / finds of a few.

HH
kiwisouth  
Posted : Monday, 7 May 2012 11:03:21 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
For those in Auckland, the club members from the Te Tahi Detector Club were at Mairangi Bay on Sunday 6th and they will be at Cheltenham Beach on the 20th from about 11 am, Maraetai Beach 3 Jun at 9:45 and Pt Chev 17th Jun at 9:30. There is a club meeting tomorrow night (8th May) 7:30 pm at the Ellerslie War Memorial Hall, corner Main Highway and Arthur St, Ellerslie.

If you want to see some mind boggling stuff, get to their meeting, better still join the club ($15) and get their newsletter every two months. There have been times where I get all enthusiastic about detecting again after I read it.

Good bunch of people
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 May 2012 9:39:42 AM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Last weekend was a crazy weekend for metal detecting
I was able to get out only on sunday to Takapuna,
and met 3 othe rmetal detectorists, but 2 were doing only dry sand another one was doing washing board.

I didnt find any gold or anythign of good value, but got an lence in a casing for the old photo camera - old means 1900 those like the below:
UserPostedImage
the i got the end part that is brass or copper.

talikng to those guys - heard all sorts of stories.. we are like fisherman :-)
i like to share as well.

*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46