New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

scotlad  
Posted : Friday, 11 May 2012 11:50:39 PM(UTC)
scotlad

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
just wondering if it's OK to detect in public parks around NZ or do you need (or should you get) permission from local council/DOC first?

thanks in advance!
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 8:56:46 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
hi scotlad..normally you dont need permission in public parks or at the beach..it is only places like schools and what not that you need or should get permission.
us guys down here in CHCH hunt in hagley park quit alot and i have done most of the parks around my place with in walking distance..hahaha
Never a problem unless you are leave big gaping messy holes in which case they will stop you from digging there.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
tonznz  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 9:39:53 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
It's quite possible that NZ councils could start to ban metal detecting from parks if it becomes obvious that the ground is being damaged. In particular in summer times if the ground is hard and crumbly the digging we do might damage the grass roots and leave obvious signs of our presence behind no matter how careful we are. We shouldn't kid ourselves about how careful we are when the ground conditions just don't suit. Just my thoughts.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 9:50:25 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tonznz Go to Quoted Post
It's quite possible that NZ councils could start to ban metal detecting from parks if it becomes obvious that the ground is being damaged. In particular in summer times if the ground is hard and crumbly the digging we do might damage the grass roots and leave obvious signs of our presence behind no matter how careful we are. We shouldn't kid ourselves about how careful we are when the ground conditions just don't suit. Just my thoughts.

Yes without a doubt we have to be a self regulating group if we wish to continue flying below the radar.
I have sometimes been back to sites to see if I am leaving dead circles in the park and it seems that the 3 sided
plug does recover quite quickly.
Ash_T  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 4:54:14 PM(UTC)
Ash_T

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Yep, ideally, the ground should look the way it did before you dug the hole.
I've even started using a bag/cloth down to put the loose soil onto,
then its very easy to tip the lot back into the hole.

Check out my BLOG : Its where i post my finds :D
scotlad  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 5:39:40 PM(UTC)
scotlad

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
OK, thanks. yeah i usually use an old tea towel and my plugs are normally a few inches square (normally!)my pin pointer has packed in after 3 years of hard work which has been a good excuse to order a pro-pointer which i should have in a week or 2. heading out to one of the parks in Hastings this evening for a shot.....
under the bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 14 May 2012 12:22:33 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
some people have been detecting in council parks down here in Invercargill that I would never go.They have been digging big plugs and not putting excess dirt back into the hole ,it looks terrible.
I was at a park detecting in the bark chips when a ranger came speeding up and asked if I had been digging up the parks as they were on the look out for a person digging holes everywhere.This has made it hard for others now.
It has put me off going out as much now,and sticking to the beachs now-but my detector isnt really up for the task at the beach.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 14 May 2012 12:39:19 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: under the bedrock Go to Quoted Post
some people have been detecting in council parks down here in Invercargill that I would never go.They have been digging big plugs and not putting excess dirt back into the hole ,it looks terrible.
I was at a park detecting in the bark chips when a ranger came speeding up and asked if I had been digging up the parks as they were on the look out for a person digging holes everywhere.This has made it hard for others now.
It has put me off going out as much now,and sticking to the beachs now-but my detector isnt really up for the task at the beach.

Isn't that annoying Bedrock. It is so easy to backfill a plug properly and it is just a slack attitude by a few.
Unfortunately as detectors become cheaper and more accessible I suspect the problem will grow.
Still forums like this can help to encourage better practices. Hope you can get back to the park soon and enjoy. I have got in the habit of when I stand up from filling the plug I give it a good stomp down with my shoe. Any park ranger watching me from a distance can tell I am trying to do the right thing. Well that's my theory anyway. So far so good.

HH

keywikiwi  
Posted : Monday, 14 May 2012 6:38:31 PM(UTC)
keywikiwi

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
hey there bedrock,Im from invercargill and have been going to a lot of the council reserves and parks and have yet to see any evidence of anyone elses holes,or even any detectorists at all.I thought i had the whole city to myself...lol.Im relatively new to this pasttime but i challenge anyone to go to a spot ive just been and find any evidence that i had even been at all.It is so easy to not leave any signs that you had even dug a hole.
In my limited and short time doing this I have come up with these guidelines

1)Use a sharp knife to cut plug(be descreet ,i.e dont wave it around like a crazed escaped convict or the police will turn up)
2)Cut a small 3 sided plug so one side is still attached
3)Confine diggings to smallest area possible right on edge of hole
4)Refill hole with all soil that you removed or it will have a hollow when you stomp it back into place
5)Brush shoe over plug couple times to fluff grass back up and it also distributes loose leaves and the like back over the top
6)Depending on the park and how likely it is to have a park ranger approach,if you find trash like pull tabs and bottle tops keep them in your pocket so you can whip them out,he/she will be impressed that you are helping them keep there turf free of litter,then ask them if they can see any sign of the 4,987 holes that you just dug and run your ass outta there!LOL
7)Lastly ,dont dress like a bum and DONT wear sunglasses as this will give the impression that you are scared of someone recognising you or, that you are ashamed of waving a funny looking walking stick back and forth over the ground only to find 1 and 2 cent pieces that arent even worth 1 and 2 cents.

This is what i do ,feel free to correct me on any of these points.It hard not to go out and look for stuff now as I am well and truely hooked.Cant believe the amount of silvers that people have been finding

cheers
nzdigger  
Posted : Monday, 14 May 2012 9:43:04 PM(UTC)
nzdigger

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Everyone,yes i agree with everything said,please don,t ruin our past time.i find that you can keep digging to a minimum if you learn to pinpoint properly,no need for major excavations if you pinpoint carefully.also stay away from obvious well groomed and expensive turf,i guess common sense should prevail.happy hunting all.
Posted : Saturday, 9 June 2012 8:27:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified
digger  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 1:48:51 AM(UTC)
digger

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keywikiwi Go to Quoted Post
hey there bedrock,Im from invercargill and have been going to a lot of the council reserves and parks and have yet to see any evidence of anyone elses holes,or even any detectorists at all.I thought i had the whole city to myself...lol.Im relatively new to this pasttime but i challenge anyone to go to a spot ive just been and find any evidence that i had even been at all.It is so easy to not leave any signs that you had even dug a hole.
In my limited and short time doing this I have come up with these guidelines

1)Use a sharp knife to cut plug(be descreet ,i.e dont wave it around like a crazed escaped convict or the police will turn up)
2)Cut a small 3 sided plug so one side is still attached
3)Confine diggings to smallest area possible right on edge of hole
4)Refill hole with all soil that you removed or it will have a hollow when you stomp it back into place
5)Brush shoe over plug couple times to fluff grass back up and it also distributes loose leaves and the like back over the top
6)Depending on the park and how likely it is to have a park ranger approach,if you find trash like pull tabs and bottle tops keep them in your pocket so you can whip them out,he/she will be impressed that you are helping them keep there turf free of litter,then ask them if they can see any sign of the 4,987 holes that you just dug and run your ass outta there!LOL
7)Lastly ,dont dress like a bum and DONT wear sunglasses as this will give the impression that you are scared of someone recognising you or, that you are ashamed of waving a funny looking walking stick back and forth over the ground only to find 1 and 2 cent pieces that arent even worth 1 and 2 cents.

This is what i do ,feel free to correct me on any of these points.It hard not to go out and look for stuff now as I am well and truely hooked.Cant believe the amount of silvers that people have been finding

cheers

I agree totally, I truly hope that we don't end up like America with bans and it is these good practices you mentioned,, that we should encourage totally ! :)

In fact if you can, get to know the ranger, on a first name basis it helps alot. He tells me to come back any time..
Even though I don't want to show him my prime finds, I do, ( but not before I show him the trash) Its all about our image I guess and to show honesty and trustworthiness.. Finger crossed we don't see bans.
I clip a on a shopping bag that I fill with trash, makes a really good impression with the rangers..
Also when I find keys (which I have found a lot of), give them to the ranger . They get asked a lot about them in the parks I hunt, as in there they allow camping.
Hope that helps too
Have fun out there

Current; (Garrett pinpointer), Fisher, Whites, (Old)Minelab.
**Previous**; GC1009, Bounty Hunter 505, Gta-x 1000, AT-Pro
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2012 11:51:33 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: under the bedrock Go to Quoted Post

Unfortunately as detectors become cheaper and more accessible I suspect the problem will grow.

HH

I have found it to be like this out at Otautau -

Council have intimidated, threatened me & spotlighted my house late at night because I metal detect two parks out this way - On ALL occasions, the councilors have failed to identify themselves -

When I have asked them what seems to be the problem, they say that I am digging up the parks - Now I have asked them to show me any damage that I have caused, they are unable to find any - they also know that I remove one h3ll of a lot of rubbish from these sights as well - The local police have not had any complaints at all & they actually see me as an asset to the community - I have met with the local council regarding this hobby only to be shot down by their property manager who had already made up his mind on this issue well before the meeting started -

I was looking at starting a small club out this way & run a "round the mountain" hunt on a fortnightly basis but this is on hold as I do not want anyone else out this way to experience the bullyboy tactics I have endured -

It also does not help that one of the councilors is also a local cop -

I have also been approached by many members of the public who are extremely positive about what it is I do -

Remove rubbish, save history & generally keep an eye on things -

Now if the council acted like descent law abiding people I would not have dug my toes in and made a stand regarding metal detecting - Nothing more than thugs down this way -

One more thing I would like to point out - Damage to parks or unfilled hole are NOT limited to what type of detector you have - its all about attitude - I went on a hunt with an elderly gentleman & his MineLab - anything he did not want to keep went over his shoulder & it took a fair bit of explaining for him to understand that what he was doing was not a good idea - On the other hand, me with the F2 am quite the opposite, so cheap detectors & unfilled holes dont necessarily go together ...............

Just my 2c worth

Might go out for a hunt & a headache today

Stay safe fellow members and Happy Hunting

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
tonznz  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 September 2012 3:44:35 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

My commiserations on your issues with local council bullys. Recreational gold fossikers have had that in the past also. And you just have to ask Lammerlaw about the evil filthy lying bureaucrates and the shenanigans he had to deal with in the past when he had a gold claim. Unfortunately there are some unreasonable people out there. And if such charaters get into positions of power they can use that power to make life miserable for others. Incidentally most of the damage I have seen in parks this spring has been caused by lawn mowing contractors. One slope I was detecting on recently looked like it had been rooted by pigs it was that bad, but it was lawn mowing damage. I had hoped no one looking at it thought I had done it and quickly moved away from that area. I should go back and take a photo to show you what I mean.
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 27 September 2012 9:17:06 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

The Park in question & the council have banned "children & bicycles" & "people walking dogs" -

However it is used for rugby (something I NEVER detect on) & a couple of car shows a year -

It was after one of the car shows I was threatened by them - I had even shown them car parts that had been discarded by some vehicle - they didn't give a shite - obviously someone in a suit has nailed his weener to a bar & has trouble thinking -

Its amazing how children on bicycles cannot use the park, but piss-heads in V8's drive ALL over it -

Sometimes you just have to ignore the fools & keep swinging, even though you feel like a criminal trying to enjoy your addiction ;)
tonznz  
Posted : Thursday, 27 September 2012 11:08:33 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

night hunts then with head lamp with dimmer function. That's what I use. Find one with only on off switch with dimmer. This is the beast I use. The dimmer enables low profile hunts.

http://www.trademe.co.nz...er/auction-516348156.htm

Edited by user Thursday, 27 September 2012 11:12:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 28 September 2012 12:34:06 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

thanks for the heads up on the headlight Tonznz -

I have a gut feeling that I just may become another hunting statistic wearing a glow bug like that between my eyes LMAO -

honestly these guys down here are frothing at the mouth -

the Longwoods this summer will prolly be the killing fields hahaha - paranoid much? (possibly)

nice looking headgear - i may have to look at some of those when my aircraft landing light & truck battery goes bad

Edited by user Friday, 28 September 2012 12:35:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified