New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 9 April 2010 2:10:38 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:23:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Friday, 30 April 2010 7:28:10 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Crevicing looks like the way to go. I was thinking about this, and wondered if you'd done any "crow-barring"; take a decent length crow bar with you so you can lever up the odd boulder or two. or use a strong branch, or a chain and winch... if you can mover a boulder that hadn't been moved over aeons then that would have to increase your chances of finding some of the yellow stuff :)
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 1 May 2010 4:17:55 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I've done this in the river - found it quite effective at finding clay spots in otherwise gravel river beds, which I believe would have better chances at trapping gold. I've only found "flood gold" so far though so probably not the most experienced person to be passing on advice :P
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 2 May 2010 4:29:02 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Crevicing is definitely the way to go, either that or scrub off every bit of moss of the rocks and banks. Now that is a lot of hard work. Saw someone scrub down a whole rock to get the moss off, looked like real hard going for really little reward. He used wire brushes, paint brushes, next thing he brought out was a hearth brush and shovel. The whole rock was scoured clean, beautiful and clean but not as nature intended.

I have added to my tools a bit, I still work light weight, I have an old geologist hammer/pick thing, great for bashing,an old chest drain trocar bent at the end which generally works quite well, I got hold of an old wire coat hanger and made a scraper out of that too, oh yes, don't forget my old toothbrush, a little paint brush, screwdriver, spoons which I have bashed to make them fit into tight spots. Necessity is the mother of invention so....... keep adding. I do need something a bit more heavy duty but the granite I dig around in is rather old and breaks apart reasonably easy. My other favourite spot has a few crevices which go across the river but it hasn't gone down enough yet to really venture out too far. Might have to get me a sucker methinks.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 2 May 2010 7:56:12 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi kiwisouth, sounds like you are using a bit of that no 8 wire kiwi ingenuity in your quest to find some yellow. you mention the crevices further out in the middle of the river... have you thought about using wetsuit and snorkling gear? :)

I'm just in the process of getting geared up. First things first, am hoping for a deal to go through on a 4WD camper...I'm thinking this will help me gain access to spots that are less visited.

the other thing I was thinking of was once you'd crow-barred the odd boulder over [or tow-roped it] then some kind of large manually operated sucker could be used to scoop up gravel and clay.

Bring on the summer. :}