New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

brighty  
Posted : Monday, 18 June 2012 3:03:37 PM(UTC)
brighty

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Any one know any good places around Wellington.

Edited by user Monday, 18 June 2012 4:05:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzdigger  
Posted : Monday, 18 June 2012 8:23:33 PM(UTC)
nzdigger

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Brighty, you could try trentham memorial park,i had a lotta silver coins out of this park,also detect around the play area,wood chips and the grass verges leading from the car park(brentwood street entrance).
near the play area is a small mound with a tree on it,really check this spot,good luck m8.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Monday, 18 June 2012 8:42:51 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday Brighty. Do a wee bit of research on where the Americans were camped during the War. If they are anything like the ones in Auckland, they left a lot of stuff lying around.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
digger  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 1:16:41 AM(UTC)
digger

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Gosh you know where I would like to detect is round the east coast. Accessed from the coast road -- Wainui . From what I have read, that was the only way to get up to Masterton etc etc in the days before access was forged through the Rimutaka ranges.
Also a number of ships were lost to the rocks in the late 1800's (you can still see some old metal boilers and bits of metal wreckage at low tide) round that east coast due to the those intensely strong winds you can get round there. Some mistakenly thought it was the port of Wellington which didn't help..
I think the last boat that got smashed on the rocks round there was in 1998 (I think), a yacht. A chap was moving his furniture from up north Gisborne/ Napier way to Nelson. He knew of the rocks but the winds got up to such a level that he couldn't do anything about it, and bang..

Things to watch out for.. The weather ! It can get a nuts chill factor round there even of a non rainy day lol..
Yea the locals (lol) . If you use the bridge,, they expect a fee.
There used to be a big gate preventing direct access round there too. The locals there have the key too.. (Hence the fee/ extortion )
I don't know if the gate is still there as it been a few years since i have been there myself.
Also apart from the really changeable weather that can turn small streams into fast moving rivers, and pick up small pebbles and fling them at your paint work, there is the gravel slide further round.
When we went round there we would take a team of three 4wd drive with all our recovery gear, but if you are careful one 4wd will be fine. Even better a trail bike with good tires :)
On the bright side you can still see some foundations of what were old houses and maybe places where people could put up for the night...
And as far as I know no one has detected round there :)
Good luck

Edited by user Friday, 14 September 2012 1:23:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling ability of a 4 year old

Current; (Garrett pinpointer), Fisher, Whites, (Old)Minelab.
**Previous**; GC1009, Bounty Hunter 505, Gta-x 1000, AT-Pro
Apostle40  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 8:40:47 AM(UTC)
Apostle40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwisouth Go to Quoted Post
Gidday Brighty. Do a wee bit of research on where the Americans were camped during the War. If they are anything like the ones in Auckland, they left a lot of stuff lying around.

Use the following info to search out War Camps and the like.

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/interactive/us-military-forces-new-zealand

Teknetics T2 11" DD
"You Can't Handle the Truth" www.disclosureproject.org

digger  
Posted : Friday, 5 October 2012 12:16:54 AM(UTC)
digger

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I agree with Apostle40..
I also tried near Block-house. Easy access but be careful of getting too close as it is a "Historical site". So long as we cover up our holes I was told.. We are lucky that we can detect near something of that significance. Don't know how long that will last lol :). So yea if ya go there just take care with the holes :)
Good luck
Current; (Garrett pinpointer), Fisher, Whites, (Old)Minelab.
**Previous**; GC1009, Bounty Hunter 505, Gta-x 1000, AT-Pro