New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Gold_Striker  
Posted : Monday, 18 October 2010 11:43:03 PM(UTC)
Gold_Striker

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was reading another forum where a man saved his black sand and smelted it. He said 1.36 kg of gold came out of 4.53 kg of black sand.

I want to find out if any of you can confirm this. I have asked other forums and I will post here if I find out before you do. I am also on twitter so I'll post it there also.

wow wouldn't that be nice just go around collecting black sand smelting it and getting that kind of result!

My first detector is on it's way minelab x-terra 705 it was all I could afford. I will keep my black sand and try this once I have a good amount.

BTW
I am not sure you know this but far as I can tell you fossick to test for the presence of gold and once you know you hit a good spot you bring in heavy machines to really crank out production.

You can always test areas and then get a claim on it and sell that claim or hook up with some large operation as a scout of sorts.
criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 October 2010 3:06:45 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Gold_Striker.

I guess that this black sand would have to be concentrates accumulated from sluicing efforts ?
As you will be aware,Blacksand can hold a lot of fine gold that escapes the mats and riffles, but remains with the sands as they travel in the water.

Some of the Blacksand leads that were found on the West coast of N.Z. were extremely auriferous and very rich.

Anybody know anymore about this report ?

Heres a site were you can read all about Blacksands:

http://nevada-outback-ge...ce_pages/black_sands.htm

Cheers---Colin.

Edited by user Tuesday, 19 October 2010 3:22:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gold_Striker  
Posted : Friday, 22 October 2010 1:27:28 PM(UTC)
Gold_Striker

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I feel like this is ignored. I mean if you can get so much gold from black sands why isn't this a bigger topic of dicussion? Thanks for the link :)
criticol  
Posted : Friday, 22 October 2010 2:04:13 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Your most welcome Jason.

Glad if it helped you.:)

Most rich black sand deposits have been highly concentrated by water actions,especially sea/beach deposits like on the West coast of the South Island in NZ.
The fine gold they contain has always been very dificult to process, as to getting all this gold out.
There are, and have been many,many processes tried to achieve this end, and some are better than others--you have to make your own choices as to which one you may prefer!

In respect of that last statement, there is a method that I would certainly try out if I had lots of blacksand concentrates! As to it working o.k. I have no idea, but definitely think its worth a try!
I have this process somewhere in my computers guts,and will ferret it out for you, "If" you've got a lot of concentrates.(Let me know if you would like it?)

I could see that it could have merit, but have had no occasion to try it out.

Cheers---Colin.

P.S. No, this subject is not really ignored, its just that most fossickers are not aware of how hard they are to work.

Edited by user Friday, 22 October 2010 2:08:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified